Saving the Alpine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving the Alpine

Hey guys so my friend and I recently went 50/50 on an 1984 325e shell that we scooped up from a friend! This car is both of ours first E30. So far due to school and finals (We are both mechanical engineering students) we have done a few minor things before starting this build thread.

When we first got the car we knew the car had some rust but we didnt know how much... lets just say we car easily Fred Flintstone this car around hahaha. From the pictures you can see where the car has rust. We did clean and spray these areas with rust converter to stop the spread of rust for the time being until we can officially start rust repair.

The car only has axles and a diff and all of the remaining bushings are shot. Our brakes maybe work... havent tested them yet.

The car has 3 different headlights and a spray painted something on the hood.

About a week after we transported the shell we began to rip out all of the old sound proofing material, weight mats in the trunk, searching/plugging the leak on one of the rear quarter windows, ripped out the eta harness and ecu, removed the 10,000 lbs of crappy speaker wires, also removed the entire exhaust system( was really tired of seeing the ricer tips), we washed and waxed the outside, also bug bombed the inside of it since we saw some decent sized roaches crawling out from underneath the dash when ripping the sound proofing material, organized excess parts/ trash.

A few more weeks/finals later we then get around to installing a rear parcel shelf, other back seat, fixing the other leak we had found, degreased the entire inside of the car, and cleaning out the rust chips as well as spraying rust converter where we had rust at.

The PRO's!!!!
    Besides the spray paint the car has minor cosmetic damage (rocker panels) and minty cardinal red door cars and a kinda matching upper half of the rear seat, the parcel shelf/deck, which we recently installed!

We also have a super nice dash and a mtech steering wheel that we are waiting to install as to not destroy it during the build.

We discover that the car is originally from Pennsylvania and is not a northern rust bucket :p

Well I'm sure you guys are gonna be asking "Hey what kinda engine are you gonna put in there????" Well I'm glad you asked! After much consideration, going back and forth between a m20 and a m50, we are gonna with 2.7i stroker!!!! 8-)
    Attached Files

Welcome to the madness, good luck!

Comment

Turnt Kurt & the boyz at it again

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by tak7 View Post
        Welcome to the madness, good luck!
        Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
          Turnt Kurt & the boyz at it again
          You know it 8-)

Comment

So today we took a trip down to the junk yard and scooped up a bunch of much needed parts (spark plug wires, distrubtor cap, thermostat housing, metal super eta coolant pipe, carpet and a trunk lock with the key :) ).

Wasnt able to work on the E30 to much today, since I was trying to diagnose a boost leak on my daily. Will upload more pics soon!
            Last edited by JoeE30; 12-11-2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

So as promised here are pictures of the car and what has been done so far!

Upper half of the rear seat and parcel shelf we put in

Cleaning, and spraying rust converter on trunk and floor pans and engine bay

Some really bad rust near one of the strut towers

Comment

Today's shenanigans:
                1) Installed a new trunk lock. We can finally close the trunk with out tying it down haha :D

2) Installed our kick ass Condor Speed Shop power steering delete!!

3) Installed minty junk yard door sills :)

Comment

Daaaaamn making moves! Post what happened yesterday/today potstir

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Daaaaamn making moves! Post what happened yesterday/today potstir
                    hahaha So.....
                    Saturday night we picked up our motor from our good buddy, Josh!
                    Sunday we were able to get the transmission, pressure plate, and fly wheel from our other good friend, AbsorbantNut #jbt :devil:. Also thanks again for helping us bring the engine home :-)

After reorganizing everything, we cleaned the engine and transmission and put on new tranny mount bushing. we put on shorter bumper shocks for the front bumper and did a rear bumper delete. Tomorrow we start resealing everything and gathering the last few remaining items that we need!

Comment

Long time update:

Upon recent inspection of the car we find out that we bought the shell without any front brake calipers

We managed to pick some brake calipers up at a local junkyard and sorted out that inexpensive fix. As well as managing to collect a large amount of seals that were desperately needed for the motor and drive train system.

While we were waiting for the seals to come in, we also dropped the m20 head off with a good friend of ours, John, at Wottech. He did a fantastic job on refreshing the head.

To practice our welding skills we first decided to handle our passenger floorboard for rust repair. We cut out 3 square holes, with patches to match, and began to experimentally weld our patches into place.

It was at this time that we then decided to tackle the biggest and hardest part of rust repairing the shell. Which happened to be cutting out the rust that had accumulated on the driver side shock tower.

Those Frankenstein stitches :p

Underside of our patch

We also got rid of all the graffiti :D:D

Squad hangz!!

Here are some other cool photos we took of the car and us working!

Also replaced this

Comment

idk why, but that kid in the engine bay looks like he can dunk

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

So its been a few months since the last post, been busy with the car, school, etc...

THINGS THAT HAPPENED!!

The engine and transmission resealed and installed!!! woo hooo!

M42 radiator is in and coolant pipes are hooked up. Wiring harness is kinda hooked up (need to repin the c101).

Scored some new wheels! OZ Superturismo GTs 8-)

On the to-do list: fix wiring harness, driver side floor pan, build coil overs (already contacted our good friends over at JBT to help with that :devil: ), replace center support bearing, breaks, gas lines and a few other things here and there

Comment

Damn you guys are keeping JBT busy. The to do list is getting smaller and smaller!

Comment

Damn you guys are keeping JBT busy. The to do list is getting smaller and smaller!
                              JBT is the best custom E30 shop around potstir

Comment

Working...
                              X