I have an E 30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I managed to unfilter the face...Ive seen this face before...
    You, sir, are an artist. But you do not flatter me!
    '91 325i

Comment

Honestly, wouldn't even be slightly surprised if Robert switched the engine out, in an attempt to fuck someone over.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Honestly, wouldn't even be slightly surprised if Robert switched the engine out, in an attempt to fuck someone over.
        Good to know. Remember, kids, what goes around, comes around. Doubtful that whoever started the engine deceit would have anticipated it's step-by-step pictorial exposure to the e30 world.
        Last edited by Nader393; 10-14-2018, 10:15 PM.
        '91 325i

Comment

I love a bit of well documented automotive archaeology.

Very enjoyable reading through your thread. As you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
            Job is incomplete until this happens: Obligatory man-in-engine-bay shot. Had to obscure my face because I am incredibly handsome for a middle aged guy, and I can't have the general public's girlfriends and wives stalking me... again.

For this picture, just imagine an incredibly handsome, swarthy middle aged guy, with a smirk of m20 extraction satisfaction.

I've seen that hair and shirt before - you're Richard Rawlings!

Nice thread, i love it. Had quite the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
              I've seen that hair and shirt before - you're Richard Rawlings!
              Maybe, if I weren't so slow and quiet...

Plugging away: The prior transmission had a "Getrag rattle" (not the T.O. bearing), and I'm hoping this one doesn't. Flywheel was machined, and I put in a fresh clutch and pressure plate. Bolting it up to the backup 2.7 stroker, while using the fasteners from the prior engine, I discovered it was missing more fasteners (a recurring theme), including a pretty important 12mm engine to tranny bolt. Nice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	7198038

Name:	IMG_4011.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	7198039

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	7198040
              '91 325i

Comment

Though sometimes (understandably) mistaken for a force of nature, I am still a one-man operation. Despite that, I was able to, with much grunting and beer, wrestle the shortblock+transmission into place. Someone before me lovingly painted the block grey.

Name:	IMG_4019.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	7198041

Name:	IMG_4025.jpg
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	7198042

Big boy F-350 Powerstroke looks on in approval. He's partly responsible for this fiasco. I wouldn't have bothered with this arduous engine swap if that crazy truck wouldn't have dragged the extra engine home.

Name:	IMG_4026.jpg
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	7198043
                '91 325i

Comment

Tiring of testing "mystery cams" from these two heads I've collected. I'm not sure what's what, nor what's good. Why am I bothering over this, and subjecting my family to this miserable folly? Two oily e30 heads in the den? What's wrong with me? Kids, don't be like me.

Name:	IMG_4003.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	7198045
                  '91 325i

Comment

So I decided to install a known standard as a baseline. Schrick 284.

Name:	IMG_4027.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	7198046

Name:	IMG_3911.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	7198047

Name:	IMG_3912.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7198048
                    '91 325i

Comment

Can't believe I went through this effort. Do ya get it? Do ya?

Name:	meme.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	7198049

Can't believe I'm becoming one of you friggin e30 nerds.
                      '91 325i

Comment

Welcome to the Dark Side....we will call you Darth Nader
                        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I hate threads that show good work and attention to detail like this. Makes my OCD that much worse and I become more of a perfectionist towards my car. Yes.. I Sub'd...
                          1992 325i Convertible - "project"
                          1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Schrick is in place, head is reassembled.

Name:	IMG_4028.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	7198055

I don't recommend bringing dirty old major engine parts into your home, especially when you have small kids running around. But I will say, it's kind of nice, relaxing, even, to leisurely set valve clearances while sitting in an office chair, sipping on a nice latte...

Name:	IMG_4031.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	7198054

Prepped the block and head mating surfaces with razor blades, solvent and a wire cup on a hand drill to finish, super clean! Satisfying. Never use abrasives around the engine's moving parts. People recommending Scotchbrite and Rolocs for these occasions make me cringe. Wire brush or cup only.

Name:	IMG_4034.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	7198056

Name:	IMG_4033.jpg
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	7198057
                            '91 325i

Comment

Gasket in place, and head carefully lowered. I think this completes all the heavy lifting for this project. Now I just need to bolt things back together and reattach all the bits. Starting to look like an engine again.

Name:	IMG_4036.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	7198058

Name:	IMG_4038.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	7198059

Name:	IMG_4041.jpg
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	7198060
                              '91 325i

Comment

Hey Nader, nice build thread on this! I haven't followed this thread much since we last chatted after you acquired the car from Hank. Your attention to detail is really great on this build. I think i can clear up a couple questions here regarding the car.

First off, you can check out my original build thread here, which shows the car upon arrival from Robert to almost complete state, post paint: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=307348

I didn't much update that thread after that, not sure why. But you can see what the car started out as. They picked it up as a mostly beat up, AW on beige automatic from a farm in Oregon. The trunk was pretty dirty and the drivers side door had overextended itself from a wind gust.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                                This^^ i am almost certain is the case. I paid $3k for the engine and i have check stubs to robert and max to prove it. Total out the door cost of the car + their labor + parts + rental space was ~$7k. The original deal was for that to include paint, which it later did not lol, so that was an extra $2500. He billed that and marketed that engine as having the MM 2.7 kit installed, thats what he would always say and the line he fed me during the entire build process at his shop.

So i, being the naive person that i was 4 years ago, went along with it and didn't have a strong reason to doubt him. Although highsight is always 20/20 and today there would have been a million red flags that i would have been privy to. Oh well, we live and we learn. But i carried the idea that it had the MM kit installed with me during my ownership of the car, not really digging into it that much to verify otherwise. I never had it dyno'd and didn't take the head off. As time went on and Robert and i's relationship soured, especially after they had all that really sketch, shady shit go down at their shop on 99, I did express increasing skepticism about the engine, and i relayed that to Hank when i sold it. So thats the story about the engine.

I continued to dig into the engine I removed from the car. When I pulled the intake manifold off the head, these were the untouched gasket arrangements that greeted me. Check out the inlet restrictors on cylinders #1 and #5.
                                I remember expressing concern about this when we went to install the headers. The original guy who built the engine, Idanity, told me he polished and ported the ports here. In some spots that made it so the stock gasket covered over certain areas that had been widened. Robert said this was fine because, the way he explained it is the hot exhaust gases would widen the gasket over time to the correct diameter of the opening.. :drink: crazy i know and not sure why i believed him but we had some arbitrary time crunch to get the headers bolted on and block plunked back into the car. We were also working with their shop mechanic at the time.

Biggest surprise was when I stuck that 7mm allen wrench into the driver rear caliper, and found that both glide pins were nonexistent.
                                Oops..

Car came to me with map lights on the rearview mirror. They never worked, and it's one of those small things that pisses me off. So I finally dug into it, not sure what I'd find since it's a bit of a Frankencar with very few original parts.

Looks like there is some wiring with (incorrect) bullet connectors, but nothing to plug into.
                                This was another Robert job, he 'gifted' that to me at the very end of the build and installed it when i was working on some other part of the car. They never worked when i owned it.

Glad you Jabronis are enjoying this.

As I dig into this engine, it reminds me of the other hacks I found in the chassis. Like this little wire harness jem. Why am I not surprised? And I'm not even showing pictures of the dangling extra crank sensor or speed sensor (who knows?) that was zip-tied to a coolant hose. Fortunately, the extra engine, the bench warmer that is now my starting quarterback, came with an intact harness, so I'll use that instead.

[ATTACH]123878[/ATTACH]
                                The chassis harness i don't remember. Which part of the harness is this? I'm not remembering anything being cut like that, unless the harness that was on there like that when we got it and just covered up. Given the state of that electrical tape, i'm surprised it has given someone electrical issues yet.

As for the extra crank sensor, lol i DO remember that So we were trying to start it one day, after we had put the engine in and all put together and it wouldn't start. I believe it had already started previously but this was several days/weeks later after sitting and it wouldn't start, so we suspected CPS since thats one of the causes for m20's to have trouble starting if everything else has been checked. Also the current CPS was of dubious state anyway, so we didn't trust it and grabbed a CPS from one of the parts cars Robert had on his lot. Given the rather intricate wire routing of the CPS on the M20 block and head, in our haste to get the car started, i believe we just laid the cable on top of the head and tucked it in a bit. Turned out to be fuel delivery IIRC to be the culprit, so that 2nd CPS is actually good. I had totally forgot about that second CPS still being installed until reading the above post. Double Oops.

Oh, and this. I found a Taiwanese 1/4" drive 13mm socket lodged in the power steering pump's bracket. I am SO NOT SURPRISED to find an undersized cheap tool left behind in the assembly of this car.
                                Hah, that socket is def Roberts. I'm surprised you haven't found more TBH.
                                '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                                '87 e30 325iS - sold
                                '91 e30 325i - sold
                                '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                                '09 e91 328i - sold
                                '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
                                '08 impreza - new rally car
                                '01 996 tt - more fun car
                                '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

Working...
                                X