No announcement yet.

formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got an electric fan conversion done, I went for a SPAL 16" pusher and eliminated the viscous fan. Couple reasons for this, firstly the viscous coupling was shot so the car would start warming up at long stop lights and secondly, the air conditioning didn't work when I got the car and I had no intentions of making it work so out it goes! (and because race car)
    Next, I had some exhaust work done today from a company in Salem called Salem Exhaust LLC. I have had other work done there as well and he always does great work. I am using all Vibrant products, namely the vibrant "StreetPower" muffler and "Ultra Quiet Resonator" Then replacing the cat with a Magnaflow 99005HM.

Part numbers for the exhaust parts:
    Magnaflow 99005HM
    Vibrant 1104 2.25" Ultra Quiet Resonator
    Vibrant 1145 Street Power Muffler

16" SPAL Pusher:

Exhaust components:
    Last edited by formyhealth; 05-21-2016, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Well, took the car out today to test out the electric fan conversion and also play around on some gravel roads. I learned a few things, firstly, the electric fan keeps the radiator cool as a cucumber which is awesome. Secondly, I am not a very good gravel driver at this point but got a little more comfortable near the end. Finally, the car gets super upset over ruts and washboard on gravel roads which means I need to start shopping for dampers and install all of the poly bushings that I purchased for the rear.

Enjoying this car a lot, hopefully the bushing upgrades and new suspension will transform this car into a fun little thing. I see why people refer to the 318is as a "poor mans M3" if you wind it out it goes pretty good.

Comment

It's been a while, work is busy and all that stuff.

I purchased a running 528i with an M52 engine, so that is coming out and going into the E30 at some point. Also, bought 2 Sparco R100's in black vinyl as they are nice looking, reviews said they are comfortable and my current sport seats have seen better days.

I'll be installing the Sparcos this weekend and will have some pictures up installed then, for now here is the stock pic.

On a side note, I recently picked up a lathe and will be turning a few tools, one being a bushing press for the subframe bushings, if anyone is interested I could probably make a few.

Comment

It's been a while, but I have some updates. I bought some Bilstein Sports (used) for a song so I am going to run those.. for now. Also, did a whole bunch of subframe work today which was easier than I thought it was going to be but still pretty shitty job over all.

I replaced; Subframe bushings (95a Poly), Differential Mount (75a poly) and the RTABS (delrin) and also replaced my ebrake cables since the subframe was down.

Here look, some pictures:

Comment

Did you ever make the tool?

Comment

This build is back on track after a long ass hiatus.

Comment

in for updates
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I can't wait to see the ecoboost engine in this car. What made you want to go that route?

240hp out of a 4 cylinder is going to scream in an e30. That engine has the same horsepower rating as a stock s52 and quite a bit more torque.
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                    I can't wait to see the ecoboost engine in this car. What made you want to go that route?

240hp out of a 4 cylinder is going to scream in an e30. That engine has the same horsepower rating as a stock s52 and quite a bit more torque.
                    Couple reasons really, firstly Dave Clark put one in his Merkur XR4ti and it was screamin sweet with more weight. Secondly I got this one for $1100 which is pretty fair for the power it makes.

Thirdly with the ford performance control pack (made for dropping engines into kit cars and such) it goes up 90 ft/lbs of torque too:

Comment

thats wild. This is going to be so great.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                        thats wild. This is going to be so great.
                        I'm stoked! I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the t56 bell housing adapter too, I just need to talk with Holley to make sure I can use stock sized 2.0 flywheel, throwout bearing and clutch and starter.

Comment

The ecoboosts are fairly tall motors with the HPFP being up so high, have you dropped it into the car to see how tell it will fit?
                          Why dont you use the ecoboost mustang trans since it was made for RWD platforms?

Comment

Originally posted by super51fan View Post
                            The ecoboosts are fairly tall motors with the HPFP being up so high, have you dropped it into the car to see how tell it will fit?
                            Why dont you use the ecoboost mustang trans since it was made for this configuration?
                            I have not got confirmation on whether the mustang transmission fits or not. It's mated to the 2.3l ecoboost in the stang. Also, the mt-82 transmission is questionable at high rpm 2-3 shifts in certain cases, though I'm sure it could handle the torque as it also goes in the v8 stang.

The engine won't be in my garage for another day or so, then I will start mocking up.

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                              I have not got confirmation on whether the mustang transmission fits or not. It's mated to the 2.3l ecoboost in the stang. Also, the mt-82 transmission is questionable at high rpm 2-3 shifts in certain cases, though I'm sure it could handle the torque as it also goes in the v8 stang.

The engine won't be in my garage for another day or so, then I will start mocking up.
                              They are the same. QuickTime sells a bunch of adapters for these motors and they are all listed for both 2.0 and 2.3.

Keep us updated, I was thinking about the swap as well

Comment

Originally posted by super51fan View Post
                                They are the same. QuickTime sells a bunch of adapters for these motors and they are all listed for both 2.0 and 2.3.

Keep us updated, I was thinking about the swap as well

That's encouraging, I'll call Holley and make sure but if so I will probs go that route

**EDIT** Just got off the phone with Ford performance, the bell housing is the same between the 2.0/2.3 with the exception of the oil pan. He said an mt-82 should fit as long as I swap to a 2.3l pan which is interchangeable. So it may be worthwhile to look for a manual from a new mustang instead.
                                Last edited by formyhealth; 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X