LS1/T56 Inside. The Bogan Boat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS1/T56 Inside. The Bogan Boat.

Decided to buy something fun. Couldn't be bothered doing an LS swap, so just went out and bought something factory LS powered.

It's a VU Commodore SS ute.

This is how I bought it.

Specs Revised August 2016.
    Standard LS1
    25% Powerbond under drive kit
    ARP crank bolt
    Pacemaker Tri Y style headers
    3" De Filippo twin exhaust
    CAI. Will eventually switch to OTR and MAFless
    T56 trans
    Rip Shifter
    Puck Clutch
    4.11 Full Spool(NOT mini spool) BW M80 diff.
    Tuffmounts Billet diff mount.

Front Suspension -
    Kings KHFL-22HHD and Koni Red shocks.
    Progressive 300-500 lb/in

Rear Suspension -
    KHRL-46HHD with Koni Red.
    Progressive 600-1000lb/in
    Nolathane subframe bushes
    Super Pro trailing arm bushes.

17x8 +33 Racing Dynamics wheels.

Not sure that I want to daily it because it chews through fuel and I'll probably lose my license. The plan is to clean it up and throw the bare essentials at it to make it into a reliable enough car for drift practice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 10-12-2016, 04:49 AM.

I knew I was getting baited with the title. Love these things though, and your next pic needs to be a burnout
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I assure you there will be lots of tyre smoke once I sort out the axle tramp issue.

The VU ute is built on the same chassis as the VX Commodore and V2 Monaro(Pontiac GTO for North America), so it has a semi trailing arm IRS not unlike the E30's. The centre diff mount is a known weak point so I've bought a Nolathane 49156 press in bush which fills the voids in the stock bushing for some additional rigidity. If it doesn't do the trick, big bore Bilsteins and stiffer springs are on the cards.

Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 05-23-2016, 03:00 AM.

Comment

This car has been both the most fun but also the most problematic car I've ever owned.

Issues so far.

Coolant leak between water pump and block. Got a new water pump.
        MAF wiring was broken.
        Suspected faulty MAF. That's a good excuse for OTR intake and MAFless tune.
        Rear main seal leaking heavily.
        Clunking in rear which is getting worse. Hoping it's only axles/CV because they're cheap and easy to replace.
        Tri Y style headers cracked before oxygen sensor. Check engine light, sluggish poor running and heavy fuel usage. Swapped on a good condition set of Tri Y's.
        PCV hose broken in half. New PCV hose.
        Hand brake doesn't work at all. Have a new handbrake shoe kit for it to install when I have the time.
        Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-10-2016, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Ouch - sounds like it could make your e30 addiction seem cheap!

Been contemplating a VF V8 wagon for the daily... maybe one to miss
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
            Ouch - sounds like it could make your e30 addiction seem cheap!

Been contemplating a VF V8 wagon for the daily... maybe one to miss
            The VF will be great if you get a manual. Almost every morning, the courier that delivers our stock orders has one or two automatic transmissions on his truck for Metro Holden. They must be having some issues if they're going through so many.

I think I was a little unlucky and bought a well used ute. It will be pretty solid once I get it sorted and there's really not much left that I want to do.
            Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-10-2016, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately the VF wagons only come in auto... might have to think about a VE manual if I'm going to go for it.

Comment

I sell more cruze and captiva gearboxes than anything.. the occasional V6 VE gearbox.
                Not so many VF boxes yet.

Manual boxes always seem to be pretty trouble free however.

Get a vz ss wagon.. WAAAAY better quality car than a VE.
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

I've never liked the interior on the VE much - the plastics + fit and finish are pretty nasty.

VZ could be a good option (more room in the back too!)

Comment

gimme

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Just installed solid subframe and trailing arm bushes and swapped the too low and soft Pedders rear springs for Kings KHRL-46HHD. The HHD are the extra heavy duty rear spring with a progressive rate of 600-1000lb/in.

Sits a little higher, axle tramp is pretty much entirely gone and the towbar doesn't dig trenches on acceleration.

Next on the agenda is to replace the wheels with something a bit better. The Holden wheels are 18x8 +48. Temporarily installed my 17x8 +33 Racing dynamics wheels but I'm really after something around 17x8 +20. Maybe E39 style 66.

INB4 "MOW YOUR OVERGROWN BOGAN YARD". Lawn is now mowed and looking fresh AF.
                      Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 06-27-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Having so much fun in this car that I've been spending too much on it. The power steering pump was noisy and knocking at full lock. Instead of just changing pump and fixing the leak I went a bit overboard.

Latest parts haul.

Recon power steering pump
                        New fluid Reservoir
                        Recon steering rack
                        Superpro steering rack mount bush
                        Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley kit
                        ARP harmonic balancer bolt
                        Koni red adjustable shocks front and rear. Set to max stiff.
                        Stiffest off the shelf King Springs KHFL 22HHD and KHRL46HHD
                        Tuff Mounts billet diff mount
                        New OE spec front brakes
                        Good condition used axles

Diff Mount.

Now I have blown the diff up clutch kicking and sliding it around. So I need to decide what I want to do with the car. Throw a diff in and sell, or keep it as a track only car because it's too thirsty on fuel.

If I keep it, I'll be going, mini spool and 4.11's, hydraulic handbrake, fixed back bucket seat and Momo steering wheel.

If I sell it, I'll have an LS itch I'll need to scratch and I'm not sure but I think my E36 328i might just be too nice to bastardize.
                        Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-11-2016, 06:34 AM.

Comment

pretty typical the issues you're having for that car tho if it hasnt been maintained, everytime I see VT-VZ's come through the workshop its the same shit

all the bushes and hoses will be shagged and poss radiator
                          rack and pump with be shagged
                          strut mounts and bearings and sway links will need doing
                          caster rod bushes
                          ps cooler hoses
                          coolant, oils ect..
                          tailshaft couplings/bearing

once its had all that done will be a nicer car to have. Pretty reliable plant and gearbox if its not hammered to an inch of life every time you drive it.

cant say ive killed a diff in one or even felt an iffy one in these cars, altho it sounded like it was dying when you purchased it and you just finished it off.

but yeh my last VX I purchased needed dollars throwing at it so it didnt drive like a 500 dollar VT, but once I did it was so nice to drive. One of those cars I regret selling purely based on that.
                          Boris - 89 E30 325i
                          84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post

Pretty reliable plant and gearbox if its not hammered to an inch of life every time you drive it.

cant say ive killed a diff in one or even felt an iffy one in these cars, altho it sounded like it was dying when you purchased it and you just finished it off.
                            This might be the problem.

Wondering if it's just the 3.9's, maybe the cheaper gears don't take the abuse as well?

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                            my last VX I purchased needed dollars throwing at it so it didnt drive like a 500 dollar VT, but once I did it was so nice to drive. One of those cars I regret selling purely based on that.
                            This ones getting pretty decent actually. Rides real good with the Konis and Kings. Seems to go a little better with the under drive kit and the engine is nice and quiet without the sound from the dying power steering pump.

Comment

Do the typical Aussie thing and turbo it to like 1300hp and just shred tires with it haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                              X