Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction - New e30 Owner

Hi Everyone.

Ive been passively reading the forums for months now, and looking all the normal places for a nice e30. I almost bit a few months back, but it was about as a far as possible from me so I passed.

Last weekend a very solid 325i coupe was available in my area so I pulled the trigger. It needed/needs quite a bit of maintenance items, as well as some love both interior and exterior. There is a small rust spot on the back bumper otherwise, seems very clean. All the numbers match, seems to be an accident free, all original car (except for the radio, and speakers those were aftermarket).

Its a 1989 325i Coupe in Cirrus Blue.
    130,000 miles. Manual Trans.

Here's a pic:

As I said it needed maintenance...lots of it. The shocks, and struts, and breaks are all gone and so were the tires on the stock basket weaves. I put tires on the stock wheels, just until i decide which wheels I want. Ive ordered a H&R cup kit, and a full break kit already and will install those as soon as I can. Ive order several replacement interior parts, and already have them in, I took the seats out and completely scrubbed the carpeting, Im actually shocked how it cam back to life. This morning I replaced the recline leaver on the driver seat, and will get that back in.

I do need a little help from the community. I love this front bumper/sideskirt/spoiler/rear apron look. Can someone please help me identify what parts these are so i can order them?

Help me identify:

I also need some parts if anyone has these and wanted to message me im a buyer:
    • 6 button OBC
    • Center console/parking break trim
    • lower dash piece (under the steering column)
    • Euro bumper trim
    • rear center bumper trim

I probably need more, but this is my current list.

Ill post more pics as I clean it up.

Lastly. How many e30 owners use their car as a daily? I have another car, but im highly considering daily driving my e30 once its all updated, and dropping my other car. I live in the midwest so id have to deal with snow on a rare occasion, but even that my wife has a car, and i work from home so that would be really rare.
    Last edited by kchase731; 05-28-2016, 04:49 PM.

mine's a new daily but i'm in so cal so mostly dry weather.

Comment

cirrus blue is one of the best colors

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

That kit is AC Schnitzer. There is a set of skirts for sale in the classifieds. A couple months ago there was almost a full kit for sale. Maybe it still is. These kits are fairly rare, good luck finding one. I drive an E30ix in the winter and a rwd E30 in the summer both daily duty. I don't see the point in driving any car you don't enjoy driving.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Looks like a nice car! Congrats!
          - Darrell

2001 BMW M5
          1990 BMW 325is - Build Thread

Comment

Thanks

I think this is how I found the e30 in the first place. I currently drive a Lincoln MKS Ecoboost as my daily. And while it's nice, and fast, and full of modern features it's not fun. I purchased that car mainly for work, before that I had an Audi s5, I loved but I started driving ~25k miles a year and the Audi became wildly expensive and impractical. I needed 4 doors and living in Michigan and driving a lot, I went domestic. I remember back a few decades ago and loving driving my friends e30s as I grew up with a few people who had them through high school. Anyway, I went to test drive this one and while, yes, it needs a lot it's already a blast to drive. A few cars back I had a Lexus is300 in a manual, and that car is like a 10 year newer version of the e30. I loved that car and drove it for years and years, I actually wish I still had it but Michigan winters were killing that car and it was before I owned a garage to keep it.

Anyway. I'm here for the fun. I plan to update/save/and improve my e30 without getting nuts. I may auto cross it, but it will be a driver, or street car for me. Hence the reasoning behind the cup kit and not the h&r + bilstein options. My brother has that kit on his Audi and it is just too stiff for road driving.

Are the ACS fiberglass aftermarket kits worthwhile? Or better to wait and find an original? I see it both ways here. The reality is I have a nice e30, not exceptional. It's not an m3, it's not even an iS, it's all original but I don't think of it as a collector or something. I feel like it's cheap fun so does it make sense to buy an original kit at 5x the cost of fiberglass? Or just get the cheaper kit let my body shop sort it out and have fun? I do understand that e30s seem to be appreciating, but the reality is all cars are a terrible investment. I'm here for the fun

Comment

i have two e30's one is my weekend cruiser with suspension wheels and all the goodies and then i have a 1987 325 ETA stock besides a markD chip for my daily and it is a blast to drive. takes the shitty roads no problem, pot holes? who cares. in my opinion if your gonna put some money(suspension, engine work, other) in your e30 its best not to daily it. but lots of others do.
              i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase. I have the same color. Love it. I think many people daily their e30s. I used daily mine up until a few years ago. I bought a few other toys so it only sees the road whenever I feel like switching up my rides. I think once you take care of the maintenance items, it should serve you well. Have fun!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X