Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 BMW 318is "Destroy She Said"

Hello Everyone,

So after being on e90post, 2addicts, m3post, 1addicts, other various bimmer forums etc; and looking for a whole year, I found myself here. Looking for a 1991 318is, one that I could use as a daily but yet hold value so that I can get out of it for close to what I paid for it (Starting to think I might just keep it till blows up, 1 week in; but oh so in love). Previously I've owned a e92 335i with FBO, but after having it for about 4 years and pushing it to 172k miles, things just got too expensive to fix EVERY MONTH; then after moving to San Francisco, it was definitely beating up the car badly. So instead of pouring all my money into a e92 M3, I decide to make a smart financial decision and get a car that not only fits the "20% or lower than your annual income" budget but is easy to fix and cheap to maintain; compared to a modern BMW anyways.

Anyways, I found this car in Seattle at a Subaru dealership, they had just posted it up for not even 24 hours and when I called they stated that they actually were gonna wholesale it if no one bought it. They sent me hella pictures, the dash wasn't cracked, the back seats look like no one has ever sat in it, the only damage was slight cracks on the driver seat; none of them longer than an inch and it was only surface crack. But what really sealed the deal was this one was made 04/90, the same month and year I was born. That's it I was sold, flew up and as I was doing the paperwork, the old owner showed up to pick up plates for his new car; apparently, he traded it for an automatic 09 BMW 135i because he was getting too old to shift. We talked for quite a bit about the car, he had service records, all OEM parts and even an extra fender for the slight ding on the passenger front side.

"Car has only really had two owners, I bought it from a friend of mine; this was his wife's car when she bought it in 91 as an out of law school present to herself. After a while though she got a new car and I picked it up for a short time, before selling it back to my friend because the wife wanted the car back for nostalgia. But after she passed, he sold it back to me and my son actually drove it for while; but the son of a gun ran it into a parking blocker and since he owed me some money, he gave it back to me"

Destroy She Said - Because I name all of my cars after old school 90s / early 2000's techno and trance songs. Funny thing is I actually dislike EDM nowadays and mostly listen to hip-hop, Frank Ocean being one of the reasons why I wanted the car too for cool points =] Plus the name is fitting because it really does destroy every single expectation I have or any pre-made assumptions I had of a 1991 car, I can now see why the E30 have such a cult following. Seriously I drive brand new Audi's daily as part of my job (Don't hate me, I actually work for a new Audi mobility program), but this car is just on another level when it comes to a driver to road response.

Took a couple of pictures but first, two seem to really speak the most about the car and the trip I took to pick it up. Was gonna post more detail pictures of the interior, but I totally forgot to do so with my DSLR and when I got back to SF, the glove compartment latches were stuck so we had to rip it off and sadly lose it. But once I replace the glove compartment and it's picture perfect again, I'll upload better DSLR pictures.

Engine/Performance Mods
    E36 M3 Steering rack
    K&N L4 Intake
    Supersprint Performance Muffler
    BMP Design Performance Chip (Removed to pass smog, FS: PM Me)
    Upgraded A/C R134a

Interior Mods
    ZHP BMW Shift Knob
    Z3 SSK via CATuned.
    Aline Single Din

Exterior Mods
    Still working on it..

Randoms
    OEM Hood Insulator
    BMW E30 Sunshade
    Last edited by CharleyGFX; 07-13-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

reserved for future post***

Comment

I seriously envy you, because of the interior. Like why couldn't my car of been kept that nice.
        88 d21 draggin pavement
        89 dirty30 kissin earth

Im just here to learn new things and meet new people.

Comment

Damn that car is clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bggdnssnguy View Post
            I seriously envy you, because of the interior. Like why couldn't my car of been kept that nice.
            Yeah when they sent me the pictures I thought it was super nice, but when I got there I was blown away by how nice it really us.

Originally posted by frshmaestro View Post
            Damn that car is clean.
            Thank you.

Comment

Very nice looking. What did the dealership want for it just curious

Comment

what sort of things were going wrong on the E92 that needed fixing every month?
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Looks like it's in great shape and that's awesome you got to meet the PO!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

thats an awesome story behind that car. Im happy they didnt wholesale it. great find!!!!
                    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                      thats an awesome story behind that car. Im happy they didnt wholesale it. great find!!!!
                      I actually found another 318is that was made in 04/90, but when I drove from SF to LA to test drive it.. It had a S52 swap and the dude randomly double the price on me... As I got there.

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                      Looks like it's in great shape and that's awesome you got to meet the PO!
                      Your e30 looks great!! Are you on bags?

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                      what sort of things were going wrong on the E92 that needed fixing every month?
                      The fuel pump (warranty) in these cars go bad all the time, I was on my 3rd one. And after 2nd set of turbos from the dealership (also warranty), things just didn't fit right anymore. I replaced the waterpump one month and the next it's leaking again from another spot. Simply just got tired of spending so much on it

Originally posted by d_elson0 View Post
                      Very nice looking. What did the dealership want for it just curious
                      Wayyyy too much. I can tell you I only paid $500 more than what the dealer gave the previous owner, got away pretty clean.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyGFX View Post
                        Your e30 looks great!! Are you on bags?

Thanks! BC Racing coilovers.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Welcome to e30 family. Car looks great and, pretty amazing to hear about the cars history all the way from when it was brought.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleyGFX View Post
                            I
                            The fuel pump (warranty) in these cars go bad all the time, I was on my 3rd one. And after 2nd set of turbos from the dealership (also warranty), things just didn't fit right anymore. I replaced the waterpump one month and the next it's leaking again from another spot. Simply just got tired of spending so much on it
                            thats crazy.. glad i purchased the n52b25 then!
                            Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Nice seats!
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X