If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
She's not exaggerating: my brilliantrot 318is was bright chalky pink before I went through an extensive professional level paint correction that totally restored the paint on the car with the exception of the plastics, which were dramatically improved but still faded. I'll make a thread about that car someday (I was just about to when it was totalled).
I'd love to see some before / after photos of it if you have them! I'd love to restore the paint rather than respray, but to be honest there are more dings, scratches, nicks, and paint chips than I would be happy with, so I'll likely do a respray next winter when the engine is out for the swap (or at least thats the plan).
Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.
She's not exaggerating: my brilliantrot 318is was bright chalky pink before I went through an extensive professional level paint correction that totally restored the paint on the car with the exception of the plastics, which were dramatically improved but still faded. I'll make a thread about that car someday (I was just about to when it was totalled).
Originally posted by Powling
If all is good, I might make it out to the cruise.
It should be a really good one. ;D
Originally posted by Powling
BTW - are you in around the Alliston area? Some of the photos in your build thread look really familiar since I grew up in the Alliston area.
Small world. ;)
Originally posted by Powling
So after completing the mess under the intake removal tonight, putting everything back in its place and starting it up I noticed that the rough idle is drastically improved, but there is still some lingering idle hesitation there, so I think it may require a new intake (to be sure that I am not missing any cracks in it).
Sounds like it's good enough for the cruise then! I'd love to see your car. :D
So after completing the mess under the intake removal tonight, putting everything back in its place and starting it up I noticed that the rough idle is drastically improved, but there is still some lingering idle hesitation there, so I think it may require a new intake (to be sure that I am not missing any cracks in it).
Not to mention I noticed that 1 of the 4 threaded stud holes that connect the throttle bottle to intake manifold are stripped by the PO, so I may need to retap it for larger threaded studs or find a new intake manifold all together
keep it clean bro. garage it! I ended up putting on new oem iS lip and side skirts. However, I realized factory paint doesn't get the clear coat when I got the kit painted. So the gloss makes it look off a bit.
Luckily I was searching for a weekend fun car for the summer, so this one will be in the garage when its not being used and wont be winter driven at all. I'm partial to OEM+ so all the changes to the car will be tasteful and subtle.
Originally posted by Roadrunner
Awesome car you have there! I love the story... her son's loss is your gain. :devil:
I'm in the Toronto area, too. I think I've seen your car on maXbimmer. Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.
He used to have a red 318is much like yours except for the interior that was totaled when a friend backed into it in our driveway at work. We both still really miss that car. :(
Nice to see more people in the GTA on r3v! :up:
I was actually following your wagon build thread for a while, sad to see you're selling it though!
I might try to make it out this weekend but we'll see what work / family life has in store later in the week. I'm also in the middle of trying to resolve the rough idle issue I was having, but everything is back together now and I'll see how it runs tonight when I fire it up again. If all is good, I might make it out to the cruise.
BTW - are you in around the Alliston area? Some of the photos in your build thread look really familiar since I grew up in the Alliston area.
She was actually selling the car as sort of a punishment to her 20year old son who got a stunt driving ticket in it after he squawked the tires in front of a cop. Funny how something as simple as a WTB kijiji ad can produce a good lead on a car.
Awesome car you have there! I love the story... her son's loss is your gain. :devil:
I'm in the Toronto area, too. I think I've seen your car on maXbimmer. Are you going to the fall cruise this weekend? http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171157 I'll be there in the touring with Shock(/\)ave - he'd be a great person to ask about the paint on your car, since he's restored the paint on at least a couple of cars I can remember from faded pink to glossy red.
He used to have a red 318is much like yours except for the interior that was totaled when a friend backed into it in our driveway at work. We both still really miss that car. :(
Originally posted by Wille30
Looks great! Hard to find one in that sort of condition in Toronto.
keep it clean bro. garage it! I ended up putting on new oem iS lip and side skirts. However, I realized factory paint doesn't get the clear coat when I got the kit painted. So the gloss makes it look off a bit.
Looks great! Hard to find one in that sort of condition in Toronto.
Oddly enough, they approached me with it. I posted a WTB on Kijiji on a whim that there might be something available out there, and a very nice lady messaged me 3 weeks later saying she had one for sale. It had everything I wanted: correct number of doors, manual, colour, minimal rust, sunroof, black interior, etc...).
She was actually selling the car as sort of a punishment to her 20year old son who got a stunt driving ticket in it after he squawked the tires in front of a cop. Funny how something as simple as a WTB kijiji ad can produce a good lead on a car.
Definitely do the "mess under the intake" mod. Apart from eliminating prone to failure parts, your pocket book will thank you too.
Originally posted by Powling
I think I found the cause(s) of my poor idle on the M42...can you say vacuum leak?!
I took the ICV out to clean it and see if that was the culprit and saw that a majority of the hoses are cracked, so I'll be replacing them with the 'mess under the intake' rerouting mod and hopefully this will fix my idle issue.
But your car on the other hand, looks awesome! Paint looks fantastic in pictures. Spend the money on a professional detailing, you wont regret it!
Thanks! The more elbow grease I put into the paint, the more it comes to life. The front bumper, valence and lip need to be sprayed because of how badly oxidized they are. The hood will need a respray as well because of the deep rock chips on the front of it, but we'll see how well we can get it the paint to come to life.
Leave a comment: