Canadian 318is

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Powling
    replied
    I think I found the cause(s) of my poor idle on the M42...can you say vacuum leak?!

    I took the ICV out to clean it and see if that was the culprit and saw that a majority of the hoses are cracked, so I'll be replacing them with the 'mess under the intake' rerouting mod and hopefully this will fix my idle issue.

    Leave a comment:


  • Northern
    replied
    Looking good. I'm surprised at how much the wax brings that paint back.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    So after a wash and dry tonight I decided to take 30min and see how the paint would react to a quick coat of basic wax applied. I was actually really shocked by how much two quick coats of generic wax applied made to the weathered paint. This is without a good claybar, cut and polish as well. The only downside is now its showing the imperfections (scratches, nicks, bird poop, etc..) more now that the paint has some gloss to it.

    The trunk had 1 coat of wax on the right side in the pic below, and the roof had two coats of wax applied.





    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Update: Changed out the brake pads and noticed the old pads were cracked and SEVERELY worn. Glad I caught it while I could.

    I did break the rear wear sensor while swapping the pads out though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by tak7
    Looks really nice, welcome! Congrats on the new house.
    Your seats are vinyl, not leather.
    The paint looks like there's life left, as others have said.
    Good Luck with your new car!
    Didn't realize that. I figured they were leather but felt a bit harder from old age. Thanks for the heads up.

    Leave a comment:


  • tak7
    replied
    Looks really nice, welcome! Congrats on the new house.
    Your seats are vinyl, not leather.
    The paint looks like there's life left, as others have said.
    Good Luck with your new car!

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    I am going to see what I can do with the paint to restore it before going down the respray route. It definitely shows worse in person than it does in the pics though.

    I would actually love to see some tips and how to's on single stage paint correction and how to get rid of the oxidation if anyone has any!

    Leave a comment:


  • c0rbin9
    replied
    +1 on trying to revive the original paint. It is good quality and will be very expensive to do an equivalent repaint unless for $$$. Less destructive restoration methods are always better.

    Leave a comment:


  • lagoon
    replied
    Looks like a great platform. Paint still looks like it has some life left (at least in the pics), maybe give it a good clay/cut/polish?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30lyf
    replied
    very nice.. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    started a topic Canadian 318is

    Canadian 318is

    Hey all,

    Long time lurker but first time BMW owner. I just picked up a 91 318is and wanted to start documenting it as my new project.

    Specs:
    1991 318is Coupe
    All original with no modifications
    5-speed
    Black interior (mint with 1 small tear in the drivers bolster)
    Sunroof
    Original paint (pretty badly faded, planning on doing a respray eventually)
    Original tool kit in tact
    224k km's
    Minimal rust. Only bad spot is a small hole under the battery box

    On to the pics of her in her new home. I can't wait to put the radiant heating in my garage floor to use this winter! We just moved into our new house and I couldn't wait to put the garage to good use with a project.







    Last edited by Powling; 11-21-2016, 07:41 PM.
Working...