Canadian 318is

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rikaro
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling
    Small update here.

    Had my new Supersprint catback come in over the weekend (thanks to Paul and Lindsay of course) after picking it up for 50% off on black friday.




    Couldn't be happier with the fit and finish quality. Can't wait to get it mounted up!


    Needless to say, the PO did a hack job on the last exhaust they installed. The correct mounting brackets weren't even used, no wonder why the tip was always hitting the rear valence. I've already ordered the correct mounting brackets, all new rubber hangers and hardware as well.


    how do you like your supersprint? i found mine to be too quiet and almost like stock but mine is a 325i

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Small update here.

    Had my new Supersprint catback come in over the weekend (thanks to Paul and Lindsay of course) after picking it up for 50% off on black friday.




    Couldn't be happier with the fit and finish quality. Can't wait to get it mounted up!


    Needless to say, the PO did a hack job on the last exhaust they installed. The correct mounting brackets weren't even used, no wonder why the tip was always hitting the rear valence. I've already ordered the correct mounting brackets, all new rubber hangers and hardware as well.


    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Been a long time since I have been able to update this. Summer has been slow for progress on the 318. I work in the event industry and we are the busiest in the summer months, so it doesn't leave much time for working on the car. I do get to drive it to work once or twice a week which is great!

    Intake boot was looking bad so I replaced it.


    Old verses new.


    Did my first oil change on it as well. Looks like the previous crush washer had been used 2 or 3 or 100 times by the PO.


    I also came across someone local parting out an M42 so I grabbed a spare intake manifold and valve cover. Planning on powder coating them over the winter and replacing the current ones on the engine.


    Was able to put in a little time to clean under the hood too. Clean on the left, dirty on the right.


    Installed the M Tech 1 wheel that a friend gave to me that he no longer wanted. Over the winter I am going to pull the leather off and learn how to rewrap it myself.


    Stopped in to see a friend of mine's BMW collection. This is his EVO II M3, while beside it is his winter 'beater' (rust free E36 M3 sedan) and his euro spec E36 M3 coupe. Not shown here are his 1M daily driver, his Z3 M Coupe and the 996 GT3 his wife daily drives.


    I also got to make it out to TedFest for the first time with a car. Have always been a spectator in the past. You can see the rear end of my 318is behind the M3's.


    And finally a few shots from over the summer, just out driving and enjoying it while the weather is nice!

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw
    Since last fall? I don't know if I could go that longer without an e30 "fix". Nice photo!
    Our winters are long up here in Canada and there is usually salt on our roads from November until end of April. I was a little delayed with getting my steering rack finished up too.

    Leave a comment:


  • mike.bmw
    replied
    Since last fall? I don't know if I could go that longer without an e30 "fix". Nice photo!

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Finally finished up the steering rack swap this past week (with only one minor banjo bolt leak) and got to drive it for the first time since last fall.

    The new rack feels great! I need an alignment, but looking past that the handling feels a lot sharper. Especially when paired with new M3 CAB's, new control arms and all new tie rods.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by fresh_TD
    I do these by hand all the time..A little soap dish, is all you need.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I tried the dish soap method and a grease method but nothing was even close to working. I think because the M3 bushings are solid rubber there isn't enough flex to get the control arm shaft into it...

    ...or I was just doing it the absolute wrong way.

    Leave a comment:


  • fresh_TD
    replied
    I do these by hand all the time..A little soap dish, is all you need.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Small update here. Haven't had much time to finish up some of the items with the front end because of a busy work schedule lately. That being said, I have all parts I needed now and just need to finish up the rack install and it can go back on the road after a long winter cooped up!

    That being said, I got the new control arms and M3 offset bushings installed today. I had my work shop press the bushings into the lolipops for me yesterday, and today I realized I didn't have the tools needed to install the bushings onto the control arms...and I couldn't go out and buy anything to makeshift the tool needed to do it, so I have to improvise with a ratchet strap. It was a bitch to do, but I got both done!

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by Roadrunner
    We went to pick up the parts we ordered from the dealer a couple of weeks ago and found out that the grille foam is back ordered. :( Will let you know when it finally arrives!
    Ahh bummer. Let me know what I owe you when you get it and I'll be sure to pop over to pick it up!

    A small update here. I'm in the middle doing an E36 swap which you can follow in its own thread here, so not much else has been done since I am focusing on trying to finish that up right now.

    I did however get my antenna delete plug from Garagistic so I guess thats worth sharing?



    Leave a comment:


  • Roadrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling
    I could definitely go in on that and split the roll!
    We went to pick up the parts we ordered from the dealer a couple of weeks ago and found out that the grille foam is back ordered. :( Will let you know when it finally arrives!

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave
    I need some foam for my M3, so we could buy a 25' roll from our parts guy and split it three ways. ;D
    Done deal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shock(/\)ave
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling
    I also need to replace the grille foam. Anyone know a good, cheap replacement? Or is it best to just reorder OEM foam?
    I need some foam for my M3, so we could buy a 25' roll from our parts guy and split it three ways. ;D

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by Roadrunner
    I need to order the exact same thing for my car (the foam on the grills was glued to the hood with ice and ripped off when the hood was opened :(). I was going to check this week if our buddy in the parts department could order it with some other parts I need. From what I've read, the OEM foam comes in a big roll with enough for multiple cars. Maybe we could split the roll?

    Nice new daily! What do the dogs think of it? :)
    I could definitely go in on that and split the roll!

    They love it - more space to spread out after the park and TDI means longer road trips!

    Leave a comment:


  • Roadrunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling
    I also need to replace the grille foam. Anyone know a good, cheap replacement? Or is it best to just reorder OEM foam?
    I need to order the exact same thing for my car (the foam on the grills was glued to the hood with ice and ripped off when the hood was opened :(). I was going to check this week if our buddy in the parts department could order it with some other parts I need. From what I've read, the OEM foam comes in a big roll with enough for multiple cars. Maybe we could split the roll?

    Originally posted by Powling
    ...and on a side note, picked up a new daily driver. Needed more space for hauling the dogs and couldn't pass up on the better fuel economy considering I commute 160km each day for work.
    Nice new daily! What do the dogs think of it? :)

    Leave a comment:

Working...