Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frshmaestro View Post
    Sub'd really fell in love with the look of your car. So much that I purchased stock weaves to replace my 16" style 5's. There is almost nothing I'd change on this car. By any chance did anyone ever tell you what they soak the dash in? I know someone mentioned 303 but wanted to know what you ended up doing
    Thanks so much! I'm using 303 every few weeks. I'm not certain it's making the dash more supple or pliable, but it looks great, repels dust, and is supposedly preventing the dash from cracking. I'll continue to use it.

Originally posted by getouth View Post
    I can attest that 303 is indeed really good stuff! PS this thread and that wagon are FIRE!!!!!!
    303 FTW! Thanks!

Comment

I was skeptical but finally gave in a bought the 303 stuff. The difference was insane. I no longer have a dull dash. The shine is nice but not too much. Here’s some photos.

The first two photos show the dash with 303 applied on the right and you can tell where it stops as the dash rises for the cluster

These were when the dash was done. I need to shampoo my carpet and get some mats [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1992 325i Convertible - "project"
      1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Inspection Time
        Another year, another VA state inspection. The local Sunoco garage guys are BMW nuts, so they are good to the car. It passed with no issues. Sad to see this inspection sticker go. It was almost like another badge. ;D

Safety First
        We upgraded car seats. I had to learn about seat belt retractors as the new car seat doesn't have clamps, but relies on a locking seat belt retractor. As I posted here: The E30s have ELR type retractors (Emergency Locking Retractors). This means that they will lock when yanked, but they won't ratchet/lock if you pull them ALL the way out and slowly feed them back in. You'll need a locking clip to make this a safe install:

Three conditions must be present to use a locking clip: an emergency locking retractor, a sliding latch plate and a lap and shoulder belt that is all one pie...

For many years, a locking clip was used to lock all lap and shoulder belts when installing a car seat. This was the only available method for locking the belt. Today, there are a number of other options available.

Rocker Paint Refresh
        I've ordered supplies (SEM Chip Guard, painters tape, primer) to refresh the black rocker paint on the E30. The original black paint has started wearing through to the alpine white underneath. Once the weather warms up I'll take a bunch of photos of the process.

Track Days on the Horizon
        I'm signed up for a full track day at Summit Point in May. Weather will dictate whether I bring the E30 on the F31. Either way, I'll have fun.

Comment

Love your 318is!

I miss mine often.

John
          The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

Originally posted by harv View Post
            Love your 318is!

I miss mine often.

John
            Thanks!

Impromptu E30 Meet

This morning on my way to the grocery store I decided to make a quick stop at a local Cars and Coffee. I was one of the first to arrive so I went in to grab a coffee. When I came back out, a few (5) E30s had parked next to me! It was a nice surprise because I rarely see this many E30s together. I stayed and chatted with the other owners for about an hour. It was good to catch up with friends and meet new folks.

Comment

Rocker Paint Refresh Part 2
              A slight change plans! After an exhausting weekend, I finally got around to prepping the car to repaint the rockers. Once they were cleaned and mostly ready for primer/paint I realized it was going to be a lot more work than I anticipated. No rust present, thankfully!

As of this morning I've dropped the car off at a local body shop to do the work. They'll be sanding it all down, straightening the pinch seam / lip under the car, priming, and painting. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but it'll be done right.

Here's the before shot:

Comment

Rocker Paint Refresh Part 3

It's back! Turned out nicely.

Comment

Looking good! I need to redo my rocker panels as well but the front valence is next on the body work list..

I get tempted by Mtech2 pics looking at cars on here but have never been able to go that route because imo the AWII and black trim of the stock late-models looks soo good together.

Comment

Very nice!
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

The new rocker paint looks fantastic....but now cover them up with some IS side skirts!
                      sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Originally posted by coldweatherblue View Post
                        Looking good! I need to redo my rocker panels as well but the front valence is next on the body work list..

I get tempted by Mtech2 pics looking at cars on here but have never been able to go that route because imo the AWII and black trim of the stock late-models looks soo good together.
                        Thanks! I do like the white/black contrast.

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                        Very nice!
                        Thanks!

Originally posted by VBe30 View Post
                        The new rocker paint looks fantastic....but now cover them up with some IS side skirts!
                        Haha. The thought had crossed my mind, but I'll keep it as-is for a while.

Yesterday and today I spent some time filling some rock chips in lower sections of white paint. This involved cleaning, sanding with a fiberglass pen, priming with self etching paint, applying touch up paint, and later removing any excess touch-up paint. It turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          [B][U]
                          That does look good! Very nice. It's crazy how big of an impact such a small thing does to a car.
                          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                            That does look good! Very nice. It's crazy how big of an impact such a small thing does to a car.
                            Thanks!

Today I spent about 2 hours doing what I've wanted to do since I got the car. I broke out the orbital and used a light swirl remover compound, then a good coat of wax. I used Mequiars professional line products along with my Harbor Freight orbital buffer.

I am quite pleased with the result! My photos don't quite capture it, but some of the stains and yellowing that were present before are now gone. I only had time for the sides of the car today. I will hit the upward facing surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) sometime in the next few days.

Here's a shot of taping off the trim (in progress). This took a while.

Nice clean and smooth paint after:

Comment

Looks clean! Mike

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Look's awesome Mike! Those pics really make me wish I had shadow line trim.
                                1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                                1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                                September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                                Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X