No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all! I managed to get out for some photos this morning. I'm happy with how they turned out.

DSC_0486 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_04941 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0456 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0521 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0533 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

E30 Slicktop Build Thread

In other news, one of the other R3V members (you know who you are) has been sending me photos of his epic '91 318is slicktop build. The car has gone through a significant transformation in only a few weeks and I've enjoyed a constant stream of updates and photos. I hoping this prompts him to start up a thread at some point because I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing it. Do it. :-)
      I think you need to OUT this person.

Im running out of cars for Car of the Month! too many are "mid-build" but Im watching and waiting... like a HAWK. Im particularly excited about the next COTM lol
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I think you need to OUT this person.

Im running out of cars for Car of the Month! too many are "mid-build" but Im watching and waiting... like a HAWK. Im particularly excited about the next COTM lol
        Haha, we'll see. I've jokingly said that I can start a build thread (by proxy) based on the updates and photos I'm getting. ;-)

I look forward to COTM of the month every month. Super cool element of R3V. Does the January COTM have something to do with "scary" aluminum? :-)

Last night I took my wife and kids out to look at Christmas lights. We took the E30. The kids are able to see so well out of the E30 in their car seats, whereas they can barely see out the windows in our other cars due to the higher belt-lines. They get a great viewing experience from the back seat of the E30. The weather was in the high 40s, it was clear, and I really enjoyed hearing the OOOs and AHHHs from the back seat as we saw some really incredible light displays. No photos of it, but a truly memorable experience that I really enjoyed.

Comment

Haha, we'll see. I've jokingly said that I can start a build thread (by proxy) based on the updates and photos I'm getting. ;-)

I look forward to COTM of the month every month. Super cool element of R3V. Does the January COTM have something to do with "scary" aluminum? :-)

Last night I took my wife and kids out to look at Christmas lights. We took the E30. The kids are able to see so well out of the E30 in their car seats, whereas they can barely see out the windows in our other cars due to the higher belt-lines. They get a great viewing experience from the back seat of the E30. The weather was in the high 40s, it ,clear, and I really enjoyed hearing the OOOs and AHHHs from the back seat as we saw some really incredible light displays. No photos of it, but a truly memorable experience that I really enjoyed.
          Ive had to do that with both of my friends who have E30s. Ones in the Car classifieds and I keep bumping it for him, while the other has more technical threads than updates to his build thread haha...

I've decided that before I lose the contact to that car, I might as well feature it, especially since January was available.

I hope my E30 sedan hangs around long enough to have the same memories that you're having with yours... thats awesome.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Someone convince me to NOT buy a 1993 Volvo 245 Classic with factory 5 speed. 178k miles. 1 minor accident. Some hail damage. Supposedly rust free. About 3000 miles away so I'd need to ship it. I'd be keeping the E30, so that's not a factor.

Comment

Someone convince me to NOT buy a 1993 Volvo 245 Classic with factory 5 speed. 178k miles. 1 minor accident. Some hail damage. Supposedly rust free. About 3000 miles away so I'd need to ship it. I'd be keeping the E30, so that's not a factor.
              Don't do it. E30 Wagon instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post

Hmmm, a fair point. I still have a soft spot for 240 wagons though. Always wanted a manual 240 wagon. A manual e30 wagon would be pretty great as well.

Comment

Well, the 240 "classic" 5 speed wagon went over my budget (ebay auction). I'm keeping an eye out for another, though I don't expect to find one anytime soon. In the meantime, here's a row of E30s from this morning!

DSC_0469 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0482 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice build!
                    I had the chance to get a 318is locally about 7 years ago but missed it. I ended up with an 1991 325iC. We share the same colors and the same wheels. (Before you swapped the BBS)
                    I think I will replicate that suspension setup soon.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by M_3_X; 01-12-2020, 09:29 PM.
                    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
                    -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by M_3_X View Post
                      Very nice!
                      I had the chance to get a 318is locally about 7 years ago but missed it. I ended up with an 1991 355iC. We share the same colors and the same wheels. (Before you swapped the BBS)
                      I think I will replicate that suspension setup soon.
                      Nice looking vert! Just make sure you get the convertible specific springs, else you will have a saggy rear.

We had our first real snow this winter. Barely anything, but it made for a nice backdrop:

DSC_0491 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Avery and I made it out to Katie's Cars and Coffee yesterday morning. Great to catch up with folks and I met some new people as well. 9 E30s parked in a row at one point! It's hard to get a clear/clean shot though as the weather was nice so the place was PACKED.

DSC_0487 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Seems like traffic has died down here quite a bit. I've just been enjoying driving mine and taking photos, so that's what I've been posting.

Comment

Last Saturday I attended a BMW CCA National Capital Chapter DIY event hosted at Bimmer Werks in Beltsville, MD. A very fun event. I was able to use one of their lifts and power bleeders to flush the fluid on my M Sport brakes. I hit some snow and ice on the way there, but nothing major. Article forthcoming. :)

Comment

Originally posted by ATL_E30 View Post

This.

edit, an iX Touring would be even better!
                          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

A few small updates.

Cupholder
                            I picked up a cupholder. Finally after nearly 4 years of ownership I have a place for coffee. The person that makes these is on R3V, but I actually found this locally on FB Marketplace.

DSC_0511 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

The dashmat protects the crack-free dash.

DSC_0513 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Oil Change and Oil Analysis
                            I knocked out another oil change. Rotella T6 5W-40 with Mahle filter. I took a sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs.

20200129_140511 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

20200129_142438 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Cars and Coffee
                            A few shots from Cars and Coffee events:

DSC_0474 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0493 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Rubber Fuel Lines Replaced!
                            I've been meaning to do this for a while. After purchasing the car ~4 years ago I replaced the rubber fuel lines in the engine bay as part of the mess under the intake refresh. I hadn't touched the lines near the fuel filter or on top of the tank. Today I replaced those. This was done WITHOUT having to drop the tank. There was one hose clamp that was a pain to get to (just on top of the tank near the fuel filter), but I was able to loosen it slightly and rotate it so I could get a ratchet on it.

Up on stands. The rug really ties the garage together.

DSC_0487 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

All of the lines were original (1990) and dry rotted/cracked.

20200201_132835 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0497 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0500 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Shout out to fresh_TD for bringing me extra fuel hose, giving me some pointers, bringing his home-made fuel line runner, and lending a hand!

DSC_0504 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

National Capital Chapter News
                            In other news, I have been asked to take on some responsibilities for my BMW CCA Chapter, the National Capital Chapter. More on that later!
                            Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-03-2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

DSC_0474 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Oh wow, that E21 sure looks happy!

Great work on replacing the old fuel lines, gives some good peace of mind.
                              1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                              1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post

Oh wow, that E21 sure looks happy!

Great work on replacing the old fuel lines, gives some good peace of mind.
                                Haha, yeah. That is a really nicely done E21. The body is very straight, it has great paint, and it has a well put together turbo kit. The owner says it puts down about 250hp at the wheels.

Thanks, I'm very glad to have all new rubber fuel lines in the car. Next up I'm going to replace all the rubber brake lines. They've held up well for the last few HPDEs, but I don't know how old they are so I'll be replacing them for safety's sake.

Comment

Working...
                                X