Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Haha, yeah. That is a really nicely done E21. The body is very straight, it has great paint, and it has a well put together turbo kit. The owner says it puts down about 250hp at the wheels.

Thanks, I'm very glad to have all new rubber fuel lines in the car. Next up I'm going to replace all the rubber brake lines. They've held up well for the last few HPDEs, but I don't know how old they are so I'll be replacing them for safety's sake.
    Yea, it does look very nice!

Are you planning on upgrading to braided stainless lines?
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I personally wouldn't run braided lines if I had to the option to run Chase Bay's teflon lines. Braided seem like they can get completely filled with crude from the road and deteriorate inward without you even knowing till it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post

Yea, it does look very nice!

Are you planning on upgrading to braided stainless lines?
        Yeah, I am leaning towards replacing all 6 lines rubber lines (to include the hard-to-reach pair over the subframe) with a braided stainless kit. Not sure which kit yet though.

Comment

Yeah, I am leaning towards replacing all 6 lines rubber lines (to include the hard-to-reach pair over the subframe) with a braided stainless kit. Not sure which kit yet though.
          Chase Bay's. Eliminate the divided rear lines to be a singular line. They are also not braided.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            I personally wouldn't run braided lines if I had to the option to run Chase Bay's teflon lines. Braided seem like they can get completely filled with crude from the road and deteriorate inward without you even knowing till it's too late.
            Good to know. I'd go with oem replacements, but the last time I looked I couldn't find all the lines. There are other brands like ATE that sell rubber replacements, but I have read terrible reviews about those failing. So I figured a kit from Garagistic or another vendor might be my best option.

At the moment my only other necessary Vintage prep items are the brake lines and replacing my 7 year old battery. Of course I have a long list of unnecessary items too. ;)

Comment

These things won't fail ever and remove that unnecessary section of hard line nobody needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post

Chase Bay's. Eliminate the divided rear lines to be a singular line. They are also not braided.
                I will check those out, thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Good to know. I'd go with oem replacements, but the last time I looked I couldn't find all the lines. There are other brands like ATE that sell rubber replacements, but I have read terrible reviews about those failing. So I figured a kit from Garagistic or another vendor might be my best option.

At the moment my only other necessary Vintage prep items are the brake lines and replacing my 7 year old battery. Of course I have a long list of unnecessary items too. ;)
                  I went with Bosch brake lines, in Belgium it's not allowed to use braided stainless steel lines by the technical inspection
                  So far I have no problems with them...

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Blackstone Labs Used Oil Analysis

I got my Used Oil Analysis report from Blackstone Labs yesterday. Everything looks great. I only had 2500 miles on this oil which included 4 hours and 170 miles of track time. If you read the comments in the report, they wanted me to keep an eye on the copper levels. I responded to Blackstone's email with the report and told them about the track time. A Blackstone analyst responded with this:

The hard use you mentioned more than likely factored into the slightly high
                    copper level. But even with a bit of extra copper, this engine is still
                    wearing quite nicely and you'll be in good shape if copper is at least
                    stable from here. Nice report.

Best,
                    Joe Adams
                    Analyst
                    Blackstone Laboratories
                    Report:

BlackstoneLabsUOA-M42-200129 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And to make this slightly less boring here are some photos from last weekend!

DSC_0498 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0549 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0561 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0536 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

More photos. I went back to a location from last week. I think this building is super cool.

DSC_0527 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0505 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0535 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Those shot are very nice!
                        Cool that you can see the E30 in the windows again

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                          Those shot are very nice!
                          Cool that you can see the E30 in the windows again
                          Thanks! It's a very unique building. Lots of angles. When I went last week I wasn't aware this little traffic circle existed. I purposely caught myself taking the photo in the first one. :)

Comment

Great pics Mike!.. I am a huge T6 fan. I may try M1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck after T6 in the S52 ;>)
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
                              Great pics Mike!.. I am a huge T6 fan. I may try M1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck after T6 in the S52 ;>)
                              Thanks! T6 is magical. I've used it in my motorcycles, Subarus, Volvo 240, and now my 318is. Blackstone UOAs show it's a great oil with a wide range of applications.

Comment

This is a beautiful picture. Love the angle. Love the car in the reflection. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X