New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Beautiful! That steering wheel looks FANTASTIC!
    Thanks, Mike! It feels (and looks of course) so much better than that ugly airbag wheel :)

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
    Nice updates, love the new tech-2
    Thank you!

Originally posted by vasilis m3 View Post
    So clean and mint condition...i love station wagon E30's!!!

Congratulations!!! :bow:
    Thanks man! Appreciate your comment!
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Re-greased my front drive shaft again this afternoon. I can't remember in what condition the splines were of the output shaft but they are getting pretty worn. I could definitely feel the difference in height/shape when running my finger up and down the spines.
      I should check my spare transfercase and have a look on how the spines are on that one.

I also renewed the o-ring on the output shaft as previously I noticed there wasn't one fitted.

When you open up the picture and zoom in on the splines you can definitely see that they are worn down.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today we had the first snowfall in Belgium, great timing as it's a Sunday.
        I texted my uncle and he was of course down to take the ix's out for a drive even though his VC is shot.

We first drove/ fooled around a bit in the industrial site not far away from my home. We then hit some of the small windy roads in the Flemish Ardennes. This thing is awesome in snow, even with summer tires! (I still need to get some new winter tires as the ones I got with the car hare getting worn down)

The most impressive thing is a small hill called 'Rampe'. It has a gradient of 15,8% and is fully cobblestone. The ix drove straight to the top, this thing is awesome :D

15,8% road gradient, snow, cobblestones and summer tires, the iX can handle it all.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

such a beast. i love my IX in the snow. It's bittersweet though, because you don't want to rust it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            such a beast. i love my IX in the snow. It's bittersweet though, because you don't want to rust it.
            I know right! When I got home I rinsed the underside down as much as possible. I don't want any rust again soon..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

i bet. i just found a small spot on mine in the transmission tunnel right by the passenger foot well. made it wall the way through... ugh.

Comment

i bet. i just found a small spot on mine in the transmission tunnel right by the passenger foot well. made it wall the way through... ugh.
                I'm pretty sure mine had that same exact spot. There is some kind of step up in the floor right?

Just had a look through my thread (page 7-8), looks like I don't have any other pictures of this spot.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Yea that's the spot!

Comment

Yea that's the spot!
                    It's a fairly easy spot to sort out (when the carpet is out), I would also check the little studs around that heat shield for the exhaust as there was also rust under the undercoating there.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I finally found some time to install the horns I got a while ago.
                      These are Hella ones instead of the original Fiamm horns, I think the seller listed that they came from a E36 if I remember correct. Not really an issue as the connector seems to be the same which he kindly included with the horns. The little cover/cap was broken on mine so I switched them over.

I also noticed I got a small leak coming from my lower radiator hose. I called a few of the local car part stores but they can't seem to order these anymore although I found and gave them a Gates part no. Oh well looks like I'll have to go my BMW dealer.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Yesterday evening I went to a guy that was selling several E30 parts. As I was pretty late already most of the parts were already gone. He told me at one time he likely had parts of 100 E30's that he had stripped down.

I only got the sparkplug cover and a few other plastic bits for my uncles E30.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Small update on the 325ix.
                          A week or two ago my central locking started to act up again. I decided to have a look again. Turns out the central locking module didn't get power so I started measuring the voltage at the white door plugs, turns out there was a bad connection.

Since I had bought a wiring loom a while back I decided to check it out and get started transferring it. Turns out I got the wrong one, there was one plug missing on the loom for the central locking.. I did want to get my central locking to work again so I just transferred and soldered some of the small connectors from the white plug over to mine.
                          I'm now able to lock and unlock my car via the trunk.

While measuring the voltage and continuity between wires I noticed the wiring of the micro switch has some isolation stripped just at the casing. I decided to get an other wiring loom (the correct one, p/n 61121385854) and also a new micro switch, used as these things are rather expensive new from BMW.

I also had a look at my bad starting problem when letting it sit for a while when warm I have to crank it and give it some gas for a while and then it would start. A member on here suggested it might have to do with the fuel draining back to my tank thus when cranking over my engine doesn't get fuel right away. He told me that I should jump the fuel pump relais (connection 30 & 87) for a few seconds and try starting it again and see if that would help. If it did, I should put a check valve right after my pump so the fuel can't drain back into my tank.
                          I tried this a few times and sometimes it would start right up, other times it would start and die again. I decided to just get a check valve and try it anyway since it's not that expensive. Yesterday I went to the local car parts store and bought some new rubber hose, a check valve and some hose clamps.

Today I went to the workshop and I got the rear seats removed and installed the check valve, I primed my pump again for a few seconds and it started right up. I then reassembled the rear seat again and I drove it out of the workshop and let it sit outside since I wanted to work a bit on my 2002 I'm currently restoring. Turns out the check valve I got was just big/small enough to fit between the two metal lines.

I also had a look at the little elbow on my throttle body as it was getting loose again. Previously I had it glued in with Tec-7 which is pretty strong stuff but I guess it isn't very resistant to a lot of heat. I decided to go with some Elring sealant I had laying and let it dry a bit.

When heading home it started right up, so far so good. I'll report back if it still has the problem or not when I go to work this week.

When I arrived home I noticed my dad had parked his BMW F31 (currently sitting on winter tires/wheels) with the front facing the street normally he never drives the car up on the driveway like that. I always wanted to take some pictures of both cars together so I parked the E30 in front of it and took a picture although not the most photogenic background lol

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It's weird because the manual says the fuel pump should prime itself when you turn the key to the first position. Mine doesn't and I've had an issue with my car delaying in the start as well. The check valve is a good idea!

Comment

It's weird because the manual says the fuel pump should prime itself when you turn the key to the first position. Mine doesn't and I've had an issue with my car delaying in the start as well. The check valve is a good idea!
                              The fuel pump only works when the engine is spinning, it's controlled by the ECU. Check valve doesn't seem to solve my issue.
                              I'm thinking of getting a fuel pressure gauge to check if it's my FPR or injector that are leaking.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                                Haven't done much on the E30 in a while.
                                At last I also got myself this 'thing'
                                370mm M tech 2 steering wheel with it's original box

Nice ...

That's large diameter mt2, not 370mm.

Comment

Working...
                                X