X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Originally posted by bradnic View Post
    Incredible car Great job on the flush mount!
    How do you like the Becker 0774 / Bavaria C Business?
    Thanks!
    I definitely need to drive it more though, just haven't had the time to.
    I just bought a house with a nice big workshop as well so even less time 😄
    ​​​​​
    I'm not a big audiophile, but it's okay. I did have to replace the display since it didn't work anymore.
    ​​
    Originally posted by litu View Post

I have same issue with my ix, i dont know why those sway bar links are sliding like that position, like in that pic
    Yeah I'm not sure why it's popping off, if it'll happen again, I might drill a hole so I can use a washer and cotter pin to keep it onto the bar.
    Last edited by D.Martijn; 02-17-2024, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• litu
    replied
    Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
    However when we were driving I could suddenly hear a clunk, each time we drove over some kind of big bump, we could hear it.
    At first I thought it was the exhaust that was noking somewhere, but when we made a stop I checked the underside and the swaybar link had come off!
    I have same issue with my ix, i dont know why those sway bar links are sliding like that position, like in that pic

Leave a comment:

• bradnic
    replied
    Incredible car
    Great job on the flush mount!
    How do you like the Becker 0774 / Bavaria C Business?

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    I finally got a chance to mount the radio with the adapter frame into the E30.
    It's a little fiddly since you first need to screw the dashpanel onto the heater controls and then fit the adapter piece. you can only pull out the heatercontrols so far from the dashboard.
    But in the end it's in and does look much better than the original design.

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Another small update.

I came across a Instagram post where I saw a modification done to the heater control panel that makes it possible to have the radio sit flush with the panel.
    Now the radio is sticking out ~7mm or so.

I contacted the person to ask how it's done and it turns out he is selling a 3D printed part. Unfortunately he won't share the file as he is also selling this part.
    No problem though, I have a spare trim panel, a caliper and 3D modeling software!

Couple hours later and voila, we have a functional prototype. I made some small adjustments on the model after fitting it the first time.
    Still need to 3D print the new one to test fit it also with the switches and OBC in it's place as well, but that shouldn't give any further problems.

Originally my original radio (Bavaria C Business) is clamped on the ridge of the dashpanel. However for the radio to fit deeper this must be removed. I used a flush cutting plier to remove the bulk of material and a file to clean it up further.
    A Dremel such also do the job.

Quick mockup on how it'll look

3D print fitted, using the upper screw of the heater control knob and both OBC screws.

Picture of how it looked before

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Been a little while.

Last time I drove the E30 I noticed a small squeak coming form the rear of the car. When pushing down on the rear of the car when standing still I could also hear it.
    I tried spraying some white grease onto the swaybar links and bushings and that seemed to solve it for a little while.

Last weekend there was a small meet/drive and I decided to just remove the swaybar and grease the bushings properly.
    Brackets are still looking good after plating them a few years ago, it's such a breeze to work on the car with nice fresh hardware..

Underside still looks good, could use a clean though :)

Getting the E30 ready for the drive, desperately needed a wash

However when we were driving I could suddenly hear a clunk, each time we drove over some kind of big bump, we could hear it.
    At first I thought it was the exhaust that was noking somewhere, but when we made a stop I checked the underside and the swaybar link had come off!

Couple more pictures of the day

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    I received the replacement clip and spring for the right trunk cover. While I ordered those, I also got a new trim piece for the trunk opening as the original had it's mounting brackets broken off (it's pretty flimsy material IMO)
    Today I fitted both pieces

I also replaced the connectors for the front left speaker wiring with some new ones.
    Didn't take any pictures but I do have a picture of a test piece I did to show off the crimp itself. I already had bought a crimping plier previously for smaller molex connectors
    But I was able to find new crimping dies that fit this crimping plier to crimp this type of connector

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    I'm doing more and more "improvements of life" on the E30 it seems. The occasional squeaking of the dashboard and interior trim pieces was driving me a little nuts last time I drove the E30. Especially over rough roads, which is pretty common in Belgium unfortunately..
    I decided to add some felt between the vinyl and or plastic pieces underneath the dashboard I got some 3mm thick self adhesive felt on a roll and sheets of 1mm thick without adhesive so I used some double sided tape to attach those.
    In the end I ended up sticking some more felt between the center console and the dash. I noticed some extra vinyl sticking out in some places on the underside of the dash that slightly touched the center console and were the cause of some squeaking which I removed as well
    I will swap out the a different center console some time soon-ish when I convert to electric windows. but in the meantime it should be OK

The two little taps on the hand brake trim piece got some felt around them too (not pictured there) it fit's snuggly in the slots of the center console and no longer squeaks as well.

While I was at the passenger side of the E30, I noticed the glovebox hanging a little crooked, it's always been like that from when I removed the dash to repair rust and replace some gaskets on the air ducts.
    However, the previous owner seemed to have lost the rectangular nuts (they are NLA as well..) that sit in the big slots and the back of the glove box. which makes adjusting and tightening the bolts for the glove box a nightmare.
    I decided to remove it completely and make some 3D printed inserts that hold the washers and nuts in it's place. So it's possible to tighten the bolts while the glove box is shut and adjusted properly.

Printed these in ABS, should be plenty good for then it's warm

Next up was fitting everything back into it's place.
    I put some felt on the side of the plastic trim panel that is visible when you open the glove box

When refitting it back and pulling / pushing it around to listen if there were still squeaks, the rubber sleeve for the ECU harness was rubbing on the back corner so I applied some felt there as well.

Next up was the B pillars as this was driving me crazy as well, the major squeaking seems to be coming from the vinyl of the B pillar that's rubbing against the rubber door seals. Mainly the top section is the culprit here but it's kinda touching over the whole length of the B pillar trim

That seems to have solved most of the squeaking, I also added some felt between the rubber door seal and side of the dashboard as it's also vinyl against rubber there.
    Lastly I wanted to also cancel out some noise coming from the trunk. I already played with the adjustment of the latch but it's still rattily, I for now tried to add some heat shrink tube on the catch portion; we'll see it that might solve it.
    On my mk1 golf the door catches also have this plastic (the BMW 2002 touring as a plastic kernel also the removed the metal on metal contact)

Finally, when I sit down on the rear trim piece of the car and make the car bounce, there was some squeaking coming from the suspension as well. Having a pit and a second person would have been quite handy now.
    However I removed both wheels and compressed the suspension against and quickly released the jack but that didn't make the sound I was hearing.
    For good measure I sprayed some white sticky grease on the bushing of the anti roll bar and it's linkages, put the wheels back on the car and bounced it some more.
    After a while the squeaking went quiet. I guess I'll have to remove the anti roll bar once more and add new grease to the bushings (the bushings and linkages for replaced 2-3 years ago now? I also added silicon grease back then)
    Maybe it got dried up..

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    While I switched out the speakers, I remembered as well that the right side panel in the trunk had one of the locks missing since a piece had broken off.
    I decided to repair it with the help of a 3D printed part.

As it's an iX model, the right panel is different and hard to find unlike the normal E30 Touring cover panel, I decided to model a piece to repair the panel.
    You can use this piece on both outer sides of the panel, by mirroring the model.
    If yours is broken off at the inside sections of the lock, you will need to slightly modify the model.

Measured the panel and the remaining section and 3D modelled a new piece and send the file to the 3D printer, only took 10min!

I removed the remaining pieces that were still there so everything was flush up against the edge where the lock ends (see picture). The new piece is glued on with some high strength super glue.

If the original slide piece and it's spring is missing on your panels like on mine, it's still available to order from BMW (51471947370 and 32341156343) and pretty cheap too!
    ​

​

​

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Just a small update on the touring.
    The headliner samples I received still aren't quite the same color as the original fabric. I think I'll just settle and pick the fabric that's the closest in color and pattern.

Meanwhile I got some new speakers for the Touring, together with some new screws and clips as I remembered the previous owner once changed the speakers and used the incorrect screws.
    One of the local parts store sell these little sets, saves me some money on shipping as well and the price of the clips and screws is very good too!

I started at the front of the car and swapped them over. Unfortunately the previous owner once cut the cables and used "sugar cubes" as well call them in Belgium to attach new cables.
    Had I know I would have removed these as well and refitted new connectors, that'll be for next time! Luckily the cable it still plenty long enough.

New clips installed

New screws

While I was at the front of the car, I remembered I needed to swap the non-airbag indicator stalk that's currently fitted over to the airbag stalk. (I did this when I swapped over the the M-Tech 2 steering wheel)
    The airbag stalk bring the stalk more towards the steering wheel, since I now fitted the Alpina steering wheel with a long MOMO hub, the original non airbag stalk was a little bit too far away from the steering wheel, I also could touch the stalk with my knee..

I might also try and find an airbag SWRA wiper stalk as this is also a non airbag version currently in the car. This might turn out to be a challenge though..

For those who are interested, this is the difference between the two stalks (airbag top, non airbag lower)

In the end I also swapped the rear speakers out with the new ones I got and the sound is a lot better (only the front right one seemed to be working before)
    I know it's not some crazy HiFi sound system but I don't listen to the radio as much when I'm driving the E30, it's all about hearing that straight six !
    Last edited by D.Martijn; 06-17-2023, 06:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Originally posted by litu View Post
    So that new rack is way moore better, faster??
    Oh yeah! It's a great upgrade for the iX. The car feels more alive in the front as well, and keeps track great.
    When you're turning you can turn in even more, I don't know how to explain but it's great haha!

Leave a comment:

• litu
    replied
    So that new rack is way moore better, faster??

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    So the last time I drove the E30 there was some noise coming from the rear of the car.
    I decided to replace the rear upper shock mounts so I ordered those with new seals as well. On the Touring model you need to remove the rear boot trim and acces the two nuts through a couple of openings while making sure you don't drop one into the cavities :)
    PXL_20230602_140013334

The old ones still looked good, I did replace them while I had everything apart. In the end I adjusted the rear tailgate catch a little more and took the car for a spin with my brother in the evening.
    The squeaking noise is gone but there is still some ticking kinda noise. hard to explain and hard to replicate without driving the car..

PXL_20230602_185327425

I also send a couple of request to get samples for new headliner material. The foam on between the hard shell and fabric deteriorates and lets go of the fabric. Which causes it to sag down.
    The first two samples I got at the top were too brown/beige. But I think the one on the right might be the closest to the original. I still need to compare by holding it against the original headliner.
    PXL_20230605_165442640

Leave a comment:

• D.Martijn
    replied
    Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    Looking good! E30 road trips are the best. I have a ~1,500 mile (~2,400 km) road trip coming up next week.
    That's quite the distance! any special things you need to do to prepare it for such trip? :)

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Looking good! E30 road trips are the best. I have a ~1,500 mile (~2,400 km) road trip coming up next week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X