New Build - Suggestions Welcomed! 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Build - Suggestions Welcomed! 325is

Long-time lurker here. I've been snatching good stuff out of the classifieds for years but have never been much for posting or contributing.
    I'm a BMW car nut, CCA member, have owned a list of great driving cars and currently have some real special ones. Not too social but if you get me talking about cars, I'll go on all day...

Anyway, reason for this post is that I just picked up an 89 325is coupe project that I'm going to lean on Chris Castro to help me build into a great example of an E30!

So far, plans include S54 paired to 5-speed, Z3 suspension and 5-lug conversion, Z3 steering rack, M-roadster brakes, custom coil-overs (haven't researched enough yet to know which), etc..

I love the look of DS2 wheels on an E30, so I may go that route, but have some other wheel options I'll toy with.

Going to use Sportster seats with rear seat upholstered to match. OEM+ look for the interior. M-tech II steering wheel. ZHP shifter. Aftermarket stereo with bluetooth but something that looks stock. Not interested in a big sound system as I prefer the sound of those individual throttle bodies! I'll keep A/C since this is SoCal and I'll have more than enough power anyway.

Exterior is currently black. I'm thinking I'll wrap the car and this is somewhere I need advice. What color?? Photos with suggestions are appreciated. I love the Nardo/Suzuka/Fashion Gray colors on other rides but not sure how they would look on the boxy E30. Interior will be black. I'm not looking for super flashy but I think it would be great to go with a cutting edge, sedate color.

My goal is to make a great driving street car that I can enjoy a few track days with. Primary usage is weekend canyon runs and looking good at Sunday morning coffee.

I'll start to add photos to this thread as the project progresses. Right now, the car looks like a beat old BMW until you pop the hood and see the S54!

If you wrap your car, go to premium auto styling. I follow them on Instagram and YouTube and they do a badass job from what I have seen. I want to wrap my car in a matte gray.
    88 d21 draggin pavement
    89 dirty30 kissin earth

Im just here to learn new things and meet new people.

Comment

you need to post pics of your car as is, so we can get an idea with what you're working with ;)

Have you gotten the S54 into the car already, or still gathering parts?
      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

must see S54... post up some pics! it's the button that looks like a yellow postcard with mountains in it. ;)

Comment

This should be a fun build, good luck (not that you will need it with Castro building it)!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Thanks all,
            Purchased the car as a project with the motor in it. Now in the process of dropping motor for rod bearings and freshening up. It has a 6-speed from an E46 but I'm switching that with a 5-speed ZF box to save weight and I really don't see this being my freeway cruiser. As you can see from the photos, there is a lot of work to be done and a long road ahead but Chris is a master and we've got a big budget so this will be one sweet ride when finished!

Comment

What booster are you running? iX? Hows clearance with the airbox fitted?
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Sick!!! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with for this build

Comment

spiD
                  Haven't figured that out yet. We are pulling the engine and starting fresh. Castro has done a number of these swaps so he has the detailed parts knowledge, not me. I think we will be using a custom air box.

Comment

If you are changing away from the 6 speed (I wouldn't), you'll need a 3.25/3.38/3.46 diff, the 3.73 is fun but pretty annoying and useless
                    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Thanks, yes we've already been discussing what ratio to go with. Most likely will try a couple options before finding the right one. I am picky.
                      I'm pretty set on ditching the 6-speed. Why do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Inline Six View Post

Exterior is currently black. I'm thinking I'll wrap the car and this is somewhere I need advice. What color?? Photos with suggestions are appreciated. I love the Nardo/Suzuka/Fashion Gray colors on other rides but not sure how they would look on the boxy E30. Interior will be black. I'm not looking for super flashy but I think it would be great to go with a cutting edge, sedate color.
                        Welcome!

Well, since you asked, I will toss you my two cents.

At the day job, we are getting wraps down on our race cars and client's street cars all the time. Coming from an automotive design background I have found the following to hold true.... If you are going for a classy, understated look, older "edgy" cars do not do well with any "matt or satin" finishes. Boxy 70's/80's cars look classiest with an understated gloss color (3M 1080-series DeepBlueMetallic, Midnight Blue, or even Black Rose,). In general, slightly rounded surfaces (90's and later cars) can pull off the matt/satin look much better.

Hope that helps,
                        Andrew
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Totally helps and thank you. Of course, I love some of the new satin look wraps that I see on newer cars but I don't think I could pull it off on an E30 without making the car just look cheap. What do you think of the Yas Marina blue from current M3s?
                          Also, since I'm at such an early stage in the process, I was thinking today of just having the car painted rather than wrapped since the paint isn't that great to begin with and I need a bunch of pdr, new hood and trunk, etc.

Comment

I like Las Marina a lot. A little less "elegant" and a little more "fun" while still fitting the chassis.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by Inline Six View Post
                              I'm a BMW car nut, CCA member, have owned a list of great driving cars and currently have some real special ones.
                              Let's see what else is in your collection. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X