No announcement yet.

Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People helping people. This thread warms my heart. Or maybe it's the tequila. Either way, my heart is warmed. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      People helping people. This thread warms my heart. Or maybe it's the tequila. Either way, my heart is warmed. ;)
      Dave warmed my heart with whiskey. It's super effective.

Comment

Here's some pictures of the damage.

I was hoping to use the old spark plugs because they're 3 week old iridium (or whatever the hell it is) plugs, and I'd hate for them to go to waste.

From what we can see, it looks like a valve dropped and messed everything up BAD. I'm not sure this block can even be reused unless it's bored out past any damage inside the cylinder.

Comment

Wowza!
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I found a book about repairing engines like my old one!

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Cripes, that's some damage. Not sure you'd want to save much from that engine based on the amount of metal that circulated through it.

Dave sounds amazing. He could warm my heart with whiskey, take advantage of me, and I wouldn't even care.

Looking forward to seeing this one back on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                Cripes, that's some damage. Not sure you'd want to save much from that engine based on the amount of metal that circulated through it.

Dave sounds amazing. He could warm my heart with whiskey, take advantage of me, and I wouldn't even care.

Looking forward to seeing this one back on the road!
                We were hoping it wouldn't be totally destroyed so we could rebuild it, but yeah....I gave Dave the old engine so he can sell some of the accessories off it and make a little something at least.

Comment

Nice car, and great attitude! You handled that swap like a champ! Your friend Dave sounds like a really nice guy, you'll have to buy him lots of beer as a thank you!

And congrats on the engagement! She looks like a keeper!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                    Nice car, and great attitude! You handled that swap like a champ! Your friend Dave sounds like a really nice guy, you'll have to buy him lots of beer as a thank you!

And congrats on the engagement! She looks like a keeper!
                    Haha repayment has been made, though Dave will always deserve more. I'm feeling pretty good about it all. I'm sure that the overheating issue were having is just from heater core hoses in the wrong spots. I just wish my Ruby wasn't over an hour away from me [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

could also be air in the system.. bleeding your coolant can be tricky

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post

Lindsay and I went to a pawn shop to get some ramps I saw, but my car was too low to actually use the damn things. I really needed to get the oil change done TONIGHT because we're taking Ruby to see an old friend in Denton tomorrow, so I said fuck it and took off the lip to get her on the ramps, and it worked!

Notice how my skid plate is hanging? Apparently there's only 2 bolts (on front and center, and the second one on the passenger side) holding it on. I spun gold out of shit by using it to my advantage by swinging it out of the way instead of taking the whole thing off.

I spent about an hour and a half swearing at Ruby trying to get my front lip back on,

finally getting around to easing this. two things, you can place two 2x4's at the bottom of the ramps to clear with out removing lip, really it be a good idea to keep the 2x4's in your trunk in case you need a tow. those AAA will rip your lip off without thinking twice.

also skid plate removal not necessary because there is a cut out to get to the drain plug. great read so far. its nice to see my car continue to get love
                        i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

jesus christ just finished and fuck that engine i dropped a lot of money in that lil fucker just to get that. anyway nice job handling it for sure. you should definitely change that black valve cover and intake mani over to the newer engine though.......

also i would definitely grab some bosch or ngk plugs from online in there. not a fan of those shitty single prong auto zone plugs
                          i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
                            jesus christ just finished and fuck that engine i dropped a lot of money in that lil fucker just to get that. anyway nice job handling it for sure. you should definitely change that black valve cover and intake mani over to the newer engine though.......

also i would definitely grab some bosch or ngk plugs from online in there. not a fan of those shitty single prong auto zone plugs
                            What all did you do to the engine? I'm gonna put the black valve cover back on after I get it back home because the previous owner of Dave's 318 wants the camo valve cover back.

Comment

Originally posted by Levy3Poop View Post
                              What all did you do to the engine? I'm gonna put the black valve cover back on after I get it back home because the previous owner of Dave's 318 wants the camo valve cover back.

Timing components. Spark plugs spark plug wires new timing chain tensioner valve cover gasket timing gasket oil pan gasket. Nothing really to the head though I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              i love bmws

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                                could also be air in the system.. bleeding your coolant can be tricky
                                Well, we swapped the hoses to no avail, and reading online, most people were saying the flow direction through the heater core does matter; it goes it and out regardless. We think it may be the heater control valve, which we'll trouble shoot Tuesday. He said he doesn't need the heater in his E30 and that I could have it if that was the problem. We shall see! But in the meantime...research, research, and more research.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X