Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while but she's still running stronger then ever! Summer is coming to an end so need to take advantage of every chance I get to take the top off and cruse around.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Well long time no update.. the Mtech received a new oil pan gasket today. I have no clue why it was leaking because I replaced it before dropping the engine into the car but regardless it was, so I replaced it this afternoon at work. This time I bought a brand new OEM Genuine BMW oil pan gasket (I can't remember what I used last year, either a VR or Elring). Anyways it's not a horrible job but I couldn't imagine doing it in a driveway.. And I built this entire car in my driveway.

I also finally got the reverse light switch connected up.. You need to use the stock e30 reverse light harness but change the plug/ connector on one side of the harness so it'll fit the e36 reverse switch on the transmission. I searched in the junk drawer at work and found literally the best connector you could use. I've never seen this connector on a car before but it came from a old engine harness we had laying in the back. Has a BMW logo on it cause its a BMW part, the wires come out at the perfect angle. Shrink wrapped it, used some BMW tape, and put a zip tie on just for good measure in case the tape ever unraveled. Good day.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 11-09-2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Damn, just now coming across this build. Really nice work and documentation, and beautiful car!
        '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

So today I replaced my oil filter housing. I hope this info will help someone else in the future doing a 24v swap because it's something that can and will be over looked very easily in a build. I had a oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket area and after some investigating with a mirror, I found out it's not the oil filter housing gasket but rather the oil filter housing assembly leaking. I did some research online, not a whole lot of info but some. I guess some S50's/ M50's used a "freeze plug" style sealing method to plug up the casting holes while majority of the oil filter housings used a crush washer style method.

Take it from me, you want the crush washer style oil filter housing. BMW doesn't sell a repair kit so once oil start's leaking from the "freeze plug" style (refer to pic bellow, I point to it with my finger) your sorry out of luck and need to replace/ install a new oil filter housing assembly. I got lucky and found the crush washer style oil filter housing at my local wrecking yard so I grabbed it and installed it, along with new VANOS crush washers and a brand new oil filter housing gasket of course.

Fun fact, your cant remove the alternator bolts until the alternator is completely pulled/ removed from the engine bay. You can see in the pics bellow the bolts hit the radiator and can't be pulled any further to remove the bolt. I was worried I'd have more problems seeing a S50 was never designed to be installed in a e30 but things went smoothly! Maybe the oil pan gasket wasnt even leaking and this was the problem the entire time.. Regardless she's all fixed up and good to go.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-04-2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
            Damn, just now coming across this build. Really nice work and documentation, and beautiful car!
            Haha, thanks man.

Comment

This never gets old!
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Well I finally changed out the airbag steering wheel for a proper Mtech 2! It took a few hours but it's finally installed. I did things right and removed all three stalks, the turn signal, cruse control + wiper stalks and installed early model versions. The reason you need to install early model stalks is the space between the steering wheel and stalks. If you left the late model stalks installed, and installed a non airbag steering wheel, your fingers would hit the stalks when you make a "u-turn" driving for example. Late model stalks with a non airbag steering wheel installed just brings your fingers way too close to the stalks for driving comfortably.

It's a fully bolt in swap though. You need to remove a "white clip" as you see in the pics bellow, I've seen some people cut it off but really you can depress the tabs and remove it completely. It serves no purpose on a non-airbag steering wheel. I re wrapped the stalks in New Tesa wiring harness tape and bolted them right in.

Anyways I figured it was worth updating the thread.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-21-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

More updates.. I went over to the junkyard yesterday and grabbed a X3 brake booster, along with a few other small things from a e30 sedan they had to finish up my S50 coupe project I have going on here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...0-swap-project

The 944 booster in the Mtech works fine, but I prefer the brake pedal "feel" much more on the coupe (which is using a X3 booster) so I decided since the junkyard got another X3 "in stock" that I'd take the opportunity to grab the booster from it. $32 bucks out the door, with the brake master cylinder. Not bad considering I payed close to $300 for the brand new 944 booster in the car currently! So yea that will be going into the car at some point.

I also tossed the euroweaves back on the car since I got new tires mounted on them.. BUT I picked up a set of Alpina wheels! I've been wanting a set of BBS RS wheels, something fancy for years now so when these came my way from a old co worker of mine I couldn't pass it up. I make it sound easier then it was though.. I had to buy an entire e30 from that said co worker since he wouldn't sell the wheels separately . The e30 was sold to a friend. They'll need new tires, powdercoat, and 1x center cap (since my old co worker only had 3x).

Anyways onto the pics;

Stock white 14" weave with a euroweave in the rear for comparison.

I've got a few different wheel choices these days...

Also here's a pic of the Alpina's mounted on the S50 coupe. I bought them for the mtech though so eventually once I get new tires they'll be going on it and I guess the euroweaves on the coupe.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Well I finally had a chance to get the new X3 booster installed this afternoon, fitment was excellent and the brake pedal feels awesome. Took about 5 hours to install though... Very much a pain with the engine already in the car but I'm really happy with the results and seems to have been worth the effort. I'm using the same booster in my 89' S50 swap coupe and love it. The 944 booster works well but the brake pedal has less assist then the stock e30 brake booster, while the new X3 booster provides a excellent pedal feel and good assist.

I'll probably be listing the 944 booster up for sale on here in the next few days. It's already fully modified as well so should be a great booster for someone that wants a quick bolt in booster with little to no modification needed to fit it in for a 24v swap e30.

Comment

Well I finally decided it was time to install the crack free dash on this thing.. Funny enough, this is the crack free dash from the first e30 I ever owned. The guy I sold that e30 to unfortunately turned it into a track car.. Some may remember it, my Dad and Me took our sweet time building that car. He cut the carpets out, crack free dash removed (the one I just installed on this convertible, kinda disappointing but what can you do..

( https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ed-e30-project )

I took a ton of pics to make extra sure I'd route the wires back like it left the factory, and It was a success. Highly recommend taking pics so you guys do the same.. It can get confusing figuring out what wiring harness is hung by which clip behind the dash. Speaking of clips be careful! I broke 1x clip but the crack free dash had the clip I broke already mounted on it, got lucky.

Back together with all the wires routed like it left the factory, and all the clips back in unbroken.. Successful day.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 04-04-2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Andddd she's back together. At the same time I also picked up an Mtech 2 steering wheel which was listed locally in San Fransisco. I had a mtech 2 wheel in the car before but this new one I picked up was never re wrapped (still has original BMW leather). God it took me long enough to tackle the dash swap, but sure glad its done. The results were worth it!

Comment

So I still have this thing somehow. This is the longest car I've ever owned, seriously. If any R3v OG's are still around you guys probably remember all the e30 parts and builds I'd post on here. The good ol' days, so they say. The funny thing is you never know that till the time has past and you reminisce.

Current plans, I'm debating on getting a new convertible top installed and recovering the rear seats. I'm such a butt hurt for original BMW leather but doubtful I'd ever find white rear seats in good condition so I may just have to settle with a recover.

Till then the car rest's in my garage at my new home I moved into last year, hiding from rain and dirt.

It was a fun summer, I'm ready for the next this year!

I got the neighbor across the street to go on a cruse to the beach for a few beers and such, she liked the e30 but questioned the convertible top lol.

These are the 2x e30's I still own, and more then likely last seeing how asking price's are going..

I still have a good collection of e30 parts from the junkyard scores over the past 10 years, everything on the shelf's are for e30.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 01-22-2022, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Always been a fan of this car! Looking good OP

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Always been a fan of this car! Looking good OP

BMWCCA #398608
                              IG @yagayo38

Comment

Working...
                              X