No announcement yet.

Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30... now SUPER powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have to reinstall my "dogbone" on the passenger side somewhat frequently as it pops off every 6 months or so. I use a little dish soap and a small c-clamp to force the end of the sway bar into the end link. If you need to replace your muffler, that would be a good time to replace the drivers side dogbone.

Hopefully you don't experience the dogbones popping off like I do, but if so you may want to consider some ~12mm ID shaft collars to hold them in place.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
      So I have to reinstall my "dogbone" on the passenger side somewhat frequently as it pops off every 6 months or so. I use a little dish soap and a small c-clamp to force the end of the sway bar into the end link. If you need to replace your muffler, that would be a good time to replace the drivers side dogbone.

Hopefully you don't experience the dogbones popping off like I do, but if so you may want to consider some ~12mm ID shaft collars to hold them in place.
      I was thinking about doing something along those lines (soap), but the muffler is my bigger concern now. It sounds like its going to fall off soon!

stiff suspension + worn hangers means that sucker is flying all over the place :rofl: I thought I had one locked down from a part-out but the guy balked when he learned that he was going to have to ship it :( I will likely end up with a generic magnaflow muffler
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am finally done with my semester so this week I have a list of things Im going to try and get done. Should have frequent updates this week. Heres the list:
        -Install 19# Injectors & Sssquid Chip
        -Install IS lip clips (no more zip-ties!)
        -Install New Taillight Gaskets
        -Install Pass Side window motor
        -Install rear swaybar links
        -Hack off old muffler and install Borla Muffler + new hangers
        -Timing Belt & Tensioner

Thats the ambitious list Id like to get done by next sunday, if Im ahead of the schedule I might try to get these done too
        -Adjust valves & install new valvecover gasket
        -Install red46 skidplate
        -Install M3 front CABs
        -Install front swaybar bushings

The car should feel quite a bit better when all of this is done and I should have most of the maintenance covered for a while after all this.

Then its back to focusing on the eventual steering rack swap and manual swap. Those are bigger projects that Ive been slowly gathering parts for, but are definitely part of the plan
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

So did your cold start issue go away or you just dealing with it?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            So did your cold start issue go away or you just dealing with it?

It's become very intermittent but it was a bitch again this morning. Hoping that throwing a few parts at it will fix it lol

So tonight I got the IS lip clips installed as well as the taillight gaskets. Felt good cleaning up small odds and ends. Also swapped the pass side window motor and regulator. Finally have a fully functioning pass side window haha

Now that all 4 windows roll down I need to figure out why the front driver side window clicks when it reaches the top and bottom. None of the other windows do that.

Tomorrow the injectors and chip go in. I'm very excited about that
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              It's become very intermittent but it was a bitch again this morning. Hoping that throwing a few parts at it will fix it lol
              Hmm have a similar issue just start flaring up that I just posted about in my thread. :(

Comment

Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30

It will be quick and easy, they said...

Injectors take an hour, they said...

I put about 5 hours into changing the injectors. I also wasted a whole lot of time starting at this

Also fun fact... 153 ECU, not the 173 I expected

My dumbass tried to pull the fuel rail and injectors out with the valve cover still installed, finally took it out and the injectors came out.

The old injectors looked disgusting but partly because they were getting dragged around the dirty grimy stuff. They were still gross and though I didn't get any "final" pics but just the injectors alone and it feels much better. Idle is much lower but that might change as the ECU adapts

And now the nasty

If someone can show me the way I'll change the chip on my lunch break. I'm really anxious to swap that out too
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Cirrusly Blue - The Daily Driver E30

If it clicks when rolling when it reaches the top and bottom, it's likely the motor, or the regulator is flexing.

Also, you don't have to take the vc off! I take the two coolant sensors out and pull the fuel rail out from there. When I swapped my injectors it took me about 15 minutes to take the rail out ;p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                    If it clicks when rolling when it reaches the top and bottom, it's likely the motor, or the regulator is flexing.

Also, you don't have to take the vc off! I take the two coolant sensors out and pull the fuel rail out from there. When I swapped my injectors it took me about 15 minutes to take the rail out ;p
                    Dammit. I sent a bunch of text messages to r3v peeps, I forgot to send you one... I was trying to think, "Who's still messing with M20s " lol. I was totally scatter brained because I had to be somewhere so I was going back and forth between the injectors and the ECU.

I still need to get this chip in. Car felt good this morning going to work. No cold start issue, but I wont say that it has fixed that part. It feels a little better overall, but I definitely want the chip in there.

and it doesnt stop though, tonight I have another list of things to do...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Dammit. I sent a bunch of text messages to r3v peeps, I forgot to send you one... I was trying to think, "Who's still messing with M20s " lol. I was totally scatter brained because I had to be somewhere so I was going back and forth between the injectors and the ECU.

I still need to get this chip in. Car felt good this morning going to work. No cold start issue, but I wont say that it has fixed that part. It feels a little better overall, but I definitely want the chip in there.

and it doesnt stop though, tonight I have another list of things to do...

Were you able you able to get ecu apart or still stumped? I’ll grab my 173 and and take it apart later if you’d like. Its just been a while that I kind of forgot haha.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Were you able you able to get ecu apart or still stumped? I’ll grab my 173 and and take it apart later if you’d like. Its just been a while that I kind of forgot haha.
                        Nope. I know what needs to happen, but she wont split open and let me in.

Sadly I cant force my way in
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Nope. I know what needs to happen, but she wont split open and let me in.

Sadly I cant force my way in

Ah so she’s playing hard to get. Need to wine and dine her and talk nicely usually does the trick.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Nice progress. Those injectors look nasty - I'm sure mine will look about the same once pulled.

That is odd about having the 153 ECU... I thought all "i" cars have a 173, but clearly I am mistaken!
                            1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                            SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                            Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Ah so she’s playing hard to get. Need to wine and dine her and talk nicely usually does the trick.
                              Im a winner. I dont listen to words like "stop" "no" and "dont"

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                              Nice progress. Those injectors look nasty - I'm sure mine will look about the same once pulled.

That is odd about having the 153 ECU... I thought all "i" cars have a 173, but clearly I am mistaken!
                              Have you swapped your chip in yet on yours? (wait yours is a super eta, right?)
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Have you swapped your chip in yet on yours? (wait yours is a super eta, right?)

I have not, but I can confirm mine is running a 153 DME. I have a known good 173 waiting to go in. I still need to get a SSSquid chip made for it, but that'll all come after a 5 speed swap.
                                Last edited by 2mAn; 11-15-2017, 10:15 AM.
                                1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                                SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                                Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                                X