2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    It does look awesome. When is the rest of the front going back together?
    Thanks! I guess I could have a shot at putting the bumper on after work today. If not maybe this weekend idk. I have the front euro bumper, managed to find a new aftermarket for the center on eBay UK and a used right side with trim from some guy in Greece.

What suspension is on it right now?
    Ground controls full kit with the cut/ powder coated black/ welded strut housings, 440F/650R springs, GC street camber plates. They were on my 323i and were corner balanced for the 323 at Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas.
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
      Ground controls full kit with the cut/ powder coated black/ welded strut housings, 440F/650R springs, GC street camber plates. They were on my 323i and were corner balanced for the 323 at Bavarian Motorsport in Milpitas.
      How do you like those spring rates for street/spirited driving?
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

thats got to be a good street / spirited rate.

IE3 were my fav for a lot time and they are 350/500 IIRC

The aluminum monster got 500/700 and it was still good for the street but on the stiffer side
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

thats got to be a good street / spirited rate.

IE3 were my fav for a lot time and they are 350/500 IIRC

The aluminum monster got 500/700 and it was still good for the street but on the stiffer side
          were these paired with beefier sways as well? Ive got ST 22mmF 19mmR and H&R sports on mine and want something that corners a little flatter. The roads up here in oakland/berkeley are pretty harsh too
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            How do you like those spring rates for street/spirited driving?
            When I first got them I was pretty disappointed tbh. Seemed way too stiff, every bump in the road would make your ass pucker. Mountain roads weren't even fun if the roads weren't perfect. Then I got them adjusted, dampers set to match the springs and I absolutely love them. Completely night and day. Perfect for spirited driving and you don't have to ride in constant fear of shitily maintained roads. Notice my ride height is set pretty high for coils, it's what the shop had strongly recommended and I'm for sure glad I listened. Suspension travel is super important.

My friend has the IE3 with the bilsteins and IMO that shit is way too stiff and way too low for the street. They're progressive springs so its not going to be directly comparable to my linear springs. But I'm not a huge fan. Maybe his dampers are old, or maybe they could just use re-valving, though, I'm not entirely sure.

Build thread

Other cars:
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

When I first got them I was pretty disappointed tbh. Seemed way too stiff, every bump in the road would make your ass pucker. Mountain roads weren't even fun if the roads weren't perfect. Then I got them adjusted, dampers set to match the springs and I absolutely love them. Completely night and day. Perfect for spirited driving and you don't have to ride in constant fear of shitily maintained roads. Notice my ride height is set pretty high for coils, it's what the shop had strongly recommended and I'm for sure glad I listened. Suspension travel is super important.

My friend has the IE3 with the bilsteins and IMO that shit is way too stiff and way too low for the street. They're progressive springs so its not going to be directly comparable to my linear springs. But I'm not a huge fan. Maybe his dampers are old, or maybe they could just use re-valving, though, I'm not entirely sure.
              Yeah I'd want coilovers to raise the car lol. Kind of contrary to popular opinion but lowering springs lower stuff too for the roads I encounter getting around here. Did you get the custom valved konis with the GC kit?
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                Yeah I'd want coilovers to raise the car lol. Kind of contrary to popular opinion but lowering springs lower stuff too for the roads I encounter getting around here. Did you get the custom valved konis with the GC kit?

Build thread

Other cars:
                2000 Porsche Boxster
                1972 Porsche 914

Comment

2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Great thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I've got a couple issues I'm trying to fix. First is that squeal on start up. For that, I'm fairly certain it's this starter not disengaging fast enough. The starter is pretty noisy in general, also. Looks like I'm going to be really good at changing starters pretty soon here.. this time around I'm going to go for a remanufactured one.

The second is, when I give it WOT, seems to be regardless of which rpm I go up to, I start to hear something that sounds like a belt intermittently rubbing. It goes away as soon as I give it a good rev even in neutral but also under load. This one is very consistent actually, so a very strange problem.

Build thread

Other cars:
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

What software are you running?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

What software are you running?
                        Motronic 1.3. 173 DME. Sssquid tune

I'm thinking that noise is the radiator fan now, but idk

Build thread

Other cars:
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Damn this thing is hot

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Haha thanks. I didn't quite know how the burgundy/gold would work out but I think it definitely works. I can tell this thing has a ton of torque too, but I'm afraid to rev it all the way out because of this noise I can't seem to track down.

Was just looking at it more and my radiator fan pulley seems to be rubbing against my toothed crank wheel / vibration damper. I'm guessing that's not normal... Anyone have any ideas?

Build thread

Other cars:
                            2000 Porsche Boxster
                            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Good news! The rubbing noise is now fixed and everything is right with the world.

Took a short video of the car driving:

Car is currently on the stock 2.93 open "e" diff, freaking lol. Still pulls.

Also just got the new injectors in the mail. Very nice.

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Took a short video of the car driving:

Why do people take videos that way... :hitler:

When is the 3.73 coming in?
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X