December 2017 Car of the Month: ThatOneEuroE30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 2017 Car of the Month: ThatOneEuroE30

***Editors Note: I've had this car on my watch list since it began and when I saw the amount of rust, I thought it was going to get crapped, but I live in CA and he lives in BFE so he carried on. It has gone through a significant restoration and its almost "done" but I couldnt wait to feature it.
    Knowing it was about to get tucked away for this thing called "winter" I wanted to get the feature completed. Congrats Brandon!

1984 320i

Factory options:
    Power steering

Color:
    Zobelbraun metallic

Interior color:
    Multi color until Alpina interior gets finished.

Engine modifications:
    M30B34 swap with 1.3 motronic rebuilt with a semi built head, 284 cam, SSSquid custom chip and AEM wideband

Exhaust:
    Custom 2.5" exhaust straight pipe to a single in dual out Vibrant muffler

Transmission:
    Getrag 260/6 with a euro M10 fly wheel lightened to 13 lbs and an new sachs clutch. Z3 1.9 short shifter. Shortened selector rod and arm.

Differential:
    Rebuilt 3.25LSD with upgraded clutches

Suspension:
    Suspension is a Full ground control coil over kit with Koni sport dampers, Powerflex control arm bushings. Rear disc brake conversion with poly RTAB and eccentric adjusters. Porsche 944 brake booster. Stainless steel brake and clutch lines with rebuilt calipers and brembo blank rotors and stock pads.

Wheels:
    Refinished OZ turbos with custom gold hardware wrapped in Cooper zeon zpt tires ( they wont last long ;) )

Exterior modifications:
    Alpina type 147 front air dam and Zender evo rear spoiler along with (Stock) European bumpers

Interior modifications:
    It has Flo fit seats, Alpina steering wheel and shift knob. Racing Dynamics pedals. It will also be getting a fully refinished alpina interior with my fabric in the summer or winter of 2018

Story behind the car:

Back in my senior year of high school I had became bored with my automatic e36 328i. I was cruising craigslist in class instead of paying attention looking for something to scratch my itch of finally getting a manual transmission car. My search actually started with 240sx and as I was scrolling through all the different cities I decided to try South Dakota. Low and behold this car popped up, worn down and in need of help in Spearfish South Dakota. I thought it needed less work then it actually did but I was already down the rabbit hole when that was figured out. I messaged to seller within 8 hours after it was posted and we struck a deal. I almost lost the car to a guy from the UK who saw the car and offer the seller his asking price. However, he called me to make sure I was still interested in the car and would be coming to get it, like promised. I told him I was and he said okay I will honor your dibs.

The car is a grey market or “euro spec” 320i, it was sold to a lieutenant in the Army stationed in Germany. He brought it over at the end of deployment in 1987 and drove it for a few years before passing it on to his son who drove it for a few years but gave it back to his dad to buy something newer. It was then sold to a family friend in Sundance, Wyoming who drove it for 12 years back and forth to the coal mine 25 miles away every day. He parked it hoping to repair it but fell sick and had to pass it on to the guy I bought it from in Spearfish.

Oddly enough, most of the parts on the car were already there when I bought it. The car came with Oz turbo wheels, very rare ACS strut bar, rare oil reserve tank, Flo fit seats, mt1 370mm wheel, racing dynamic pedals, and Zender wing.

On New years day 2014 I picked up the car and drove it to my Grandparents in Rapid city about 20 miles from Spearfish. Two days later we towed it the 8.5 hours home to Omaha and the tear down began. 4 years later and I have finally gotten to the point I can enjoy the car and will have some final touches to do to like get the interior refinished and add some other finishing touches. The car should be “completed” by 2019

The build thread can be found here , but sadly Phjotobucket has killed most of the pics.
    Hopefully they will get fixed someday

posted by 2mAn

pass_side by 2mAn

booty by 2mAn

interior by 2mAn

seats by 2mAn

dash by 2mAn

alpina by 2mAn

OZ by 2mAn

M30 by 2mAn

driver_side by 2mAn

leno by 2mAn
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

m30 powaaahhh!
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feature Simon!

Cliff note. The rats nest of wiring was cleaned up since then. I was going to leave it so my audio guy could have something to follow when the system is installed but said F it and will just do 100% new wiring.

Pic for proof lol. So much better now.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Well deserved.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

love this one! m30 swaps will always be one of my favorites
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I remember when his thread was started. And thought "this kid bit off a bit more than he could chew". And here I stand corrected. It is always great to see a nice restoration from something that was so close to scrap.

I have been patiently waiting for the interior to be done. With the cloth material that he went through hell to reproduce. It will be a whole new level at that point. Then maybe the Mtech 2 will get it's chance.

I would say you have too much on your plate with the Mtech 2, Alpina, 2002 and red E30 but I have been proven wrong before. So I will just sit back and wait. Good job.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              I remember when his thread was started. And thought "this kid bit off a bit more than he could chew". And here I stand corrected. It is always great to see a nice restoration from something that was so close to scrap.

I have been patiently waiting for the interior to be done. With the cloth material that he went through hell to reproduce. It will be a whole new level at that point. Then maybe the Mtech 2 will get it's chance.

I would say you have too much on your plate with the Mtech 2, Alpina, 2002 and red E30 but I have been proven wrong before. So I will just sit back and wait. Good job.

Right you are haha. The mtech 2 is pretty much gutted in the garage just waiting for the body work to get finished. I pretty much have every part to reassemble it except for a few small things. Everything else is there. The other two cars are just chilling. I don’t really have any major plans for the slick top car just drive it and fix it when it breaks. I would start on the 02 to but to simply put it. I have ran out of room the car is in a storage shed in. Northern Nebraska. Supposedly a buddy of mine that splits a shop with people is going to be getting that shop to him self as they are all leaving. If this happens i will be moving in with him and just us two will split it and I can work on it. Now that I have started a real job as a service tech for BMW things should pick up and get going. Its definitely all going to be a timely process as much as I want to just go crazy and do it all at once.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
              X