Sitting for 15 years Lachssilber - Metallic 1987 325

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting for 15 years Lachssilber - Metallic 1987 325

So i work in the insurance industry and i drive to various body shops and mechanical shops and look at cars all day long (I love my job) any way a few weeks ago i was at a body shop and i was in the back looking at a car and i noticed this 1987 325 5 speed sitting there all alone.

I noticed it and didnt pay too much attention to it till i was gone and started thinking about it.

My next time there i asked the owner what is the deal with the BMW sitting in the back. His response was simple " Well the last owner had it got into a wreck with it (Right front fender, and looks like suspension) and he brought it to them and left it there and has been sitting there since.

The car has been Sitting there for 15 years with no love. In further inspection i noticed it needs a bath but theres no mold inside like it has been leaking or any sings of damage that i can see besides the original loss.

i asked him if he is able to get title and if so would he sell it to me.

His response was amazing "Sure give me $10 bucks for it and its yours, i just have to fill out paperwork for the title so i can sell it to you" well as you can expect i told him send out for the title and when he has it ill give him STRAIGHT CASH for it (my sense of humor) anyway this is where i am currently with the car(waiting stage)

i would love some suggestions for anything you guys think of.

Of course knowing it has been sitting for 15 years i know that i am going to have to........

1. All fluids flushed (Gas, Coolant, Oil, Tranns, Diff, Headlight Fluid, Brake)

2. Filters (Oil, Fuel, Air)

3. I am going to just assume that i have to replace all rubber hoses

4. Timing Belt, Tensioner & Water pump (any ideas on a good aftermarket one??)

5. Battery.....

6. Plugs.

and that is to pretty much get it to the "Starting point" to where i can start the car.

oh yea and a full detail...... cant start the car without it being clean.....this might wait till after i hear it run though.....

after that i want to get it to the drive able point and then work out things from there.

Also the hood he has and will be in primer.

Little bit more about the car is that it seems like she has been untouched as far as aftermarket goes, like i said doesn't seem like shes leaking inside.

anyways heres some photos of how she sits now awaiting for saving..... btw the car is located in Tennessee so as far as salt and rust she hasnt been to exposed to it as you can tell from the fender which should be a hole right now if it was from NY after sitting for 15 years with the paint down to raw metal.

I hope everything works out and you guys are ready to see progress as she gets transformed. Also going to be posting D.I.Y while here that way in case someone doesn't know how or whatever they can use as a reference.

[ATTACH]120290[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]120291[/ATTACH]
    PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Before cranking her I would
    1. Replace the timing belt & water pump (also see if you can turn the motor over by hand)
    2. Oil Change
    3. Drop gas tank, send out to be cleaned and coated or just replace it (last I heard they were cheap-ish new)
    4. New fuel pump, new/used/refurbished injectors
    5. New Fuel Filter
    6. Replace or atleast inspect air filter, belts, cooling system and ignition system.

The majority of the work (time wise) will be R&R the tank since you have to drop the exhaust and driveshaft to get to it. In the mean time pop up the rear seat and have a look inside from one of the access ports. I'm 99.99% sure it's become varnish by now and that the tank has started to rust from the inside.

Good luck! I've rescued a few myself :)

edit: If it's been sitting on grass for 10+ years check the floorboards for rust, you might get a bad surprise by the rocker panels
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
      Before cranking her I would

edit: If it's been sitting on grass for 10+ years check the floorboards for rust, you might get a bad surprise by the rocker panels
      Thats what i am worried about being that it has been sitting in the grass but like i said for sitting 15 years i have seen worse.....plus i love the idea of the story .....coming soon to theaters near you old neglected e30 left for dead, only one man can save her from becoming a washer machine .......any way your right i am prob. going to spray some marvels mystery oil down the cyl also to make sure no binding while i do the belts and oil change.

and yes ill hand crank a few times to make sure.

PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Julien gave you a pretty solid list, and it sounds like you have a pretty good plan already!

What is going on with the hood though, has the engine bay been sitting exposed to the elements for some time now? I would be a little wary of electrical gremlins if that's the case.

Also, give the trunk a good look over, especially in the corners. E30's tend to have pretty bad trunk leaks which can cause the lower rear quarters to rust out.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
          Julien gave you a pretty solid list, and it sounds like you have a pretty good plan already!

What is going on with the hood though, has the engine bay been sitting exposed to the elements for some time now? I would be a little wary of electrical gremlins if that's the case.

Also, give the trunk a good look over, especially in the corners. E30's tend to have pretty bad trunk leaks which can cause the lower rear quarters to rust out.
          Your right next time i am there i am going to give the car a overall look under and in trunk etc.

the hood has been off which isnt good and i dont like that fact but i mean i have to just make sure about all this before ill give it a good look and make sure its a soild foundation but i mean for 10 bucks its worth the thought :)

at least i think so :(

Comment

Dont spend too much on it to get it to start. Turn it over by hand. If its seized you have to pull the engine and rebuild. if it rolls over by hand easy enough, drain the oil and replace oil and filter.

Do a dodgy and run an electric fuel pump into a fuel container. Connect it straight to the fuel rail. run the return back into the fuel container. By pass the fuel filter. Try not to burn your house down.

get a new timing belt put it on, but just the belt, nothing else.

Now see if she starts (assuming the starter motor isnt cactus). possibly need some known good second hand injectors to get it going, but try your current ones first, miracles can happen. remember its about minimising costs before you know its a good runner.

Once you confirm that the engine runs, you can start to fix the rest of the car.

it would not supprise me if the headgasket needs replacing, and to be honest probably good insurance. Two old engines ive gotten going have sort of had soggy headgaskets from sitting for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Dont spend too much on it to get it to start. Turn it over by hand. If its seized you have to pull the engine and rebuild. if it rolls over by hand easy enough, drain the oil and replace oil and filter.

Do a dodgy and run an electric fuel pump into a fuel container. Connect it straight to the fuel rail. run the return back into the fuel container. By pass the fuel filter. Try not to burn your house down.

get a new timing belt put it on, but just the belt, nothing else.

Now see if she starts (assuming the starter motor isnt cactus). possibly need some known good second hand injectors to get it going, but try your current ones first, miracles can happen. remember its about minimising costs before you know its a good runner.

Once you confirm that the engine runs, you can start to fix the rest of the car.

it would not supprise me if the headgasket needs replacing, and to be honest probably good insurance. Two old engines ive gotten going have sort of had soggy headgaskets from sitting for so long.
              Your 100% correct , not a bad idea to make sure it runs first then address the rest. Thanks for your input guys ill take all that i can get !! :)

Comment

Hoping this doesn't have too many issues! Would be sweet if all was in good condition!
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Something about that hood doesn't look OEM to me

Personally, I'd go for the 242 parked beside it.
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    Hoping this doesn't have too many issues! Would be sweet if all was in good condition!
                    I am in the airport on a layover and your build has killed some of my time =)

[QUOTE=Stanley Rockafella;4881773]Something about that hood doesn't look OEM to me

It was actually a optional for that year it's called the "workmans package" it's lightweight for easy removal and for easy access to the motor so you can fix it when it brakes ......
                    Last edited by Mpolito3355; 03-23-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

So i took some more photos of what i could while i was there to look at things a little closer.......

looks like left quarter had previous work and bondo is now cracked and paint is faded, i would prob. take everything down to bare metal and see what i am working with body wise.

20180326_110608 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

20180326_110542 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Got the trunk open and i am happy that the battery is not there ..... means down have to worry about elec. wires being corroded from a draw on battery....i guess .... trunk needs a good clean as the rest of the car does

20180326_110643 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

20180326_110700 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Of course the interior needs a full detail but i looked and all carpets are dry except for pass side rear .....i am afraid to pull up carpet when i get it but i guess its part of saving a E30 :(

20180326_110755 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Pop out windows which i am happy about , Premium sound system which is missing the rear speakers ....... rear seats dont look too bad i guess...... also looks like my Wife gets a new bag that was left in the car

20180326_110804 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Needs a dash of course and buttons and a shift knob and a raido and bunch of things

20180326_111203 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

So the car has ABS also ..... (any thoughts should i keep or delete or bleed etc )

20180326_110852 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Ok so on to the heart ...... the motor over all doesnt look to horrible. it needs to be degreased and cleaned also the electrical needs to have a look at since i am convinced that someone was trying to make a nest in some places ....i figured worst comes to worse new harness from a donor ??? (anyone know if i can use one off a "I" since my plan is to eventually go to a "I" head with low compression and turbo it.....but this would be a down the road thing for now i want it to run stock but if i am going to change the harness could i use one from a "I" ??? )

20180326_110824 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Pulled the dipstick and the oil looks good (i know i have to change it but being that it wasnt stored black i am sure thats a little better)

20180326_111031 by Michael Polito, on Flickr

Well i guess thats it for now i figured i would post my progress (sorta progress) and keep you guys in the loop.

Comment

Working...
                      X