Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a 1991 E34 M5...what do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a 1991 E34 M5...what do I need to know?

I bought a 1991 BMW M5 sight unseen from a dealer in California. Had a shop called Bavarian Professionals do a PPI on it. Of course they found a bunch of stuff that I'm having them take care of before I fly down from Alaska. Will drive the car to Seattle and have it put in a container for ocean transport.

What do I need to know about this car? I've had several E30s and one E46 in the past. The suspension leveling has been deleted. The high beams are amber so I'm going to find some clear ones since the yellow looks tacky IMO.

Its riding on 7 series wheels but I want to find some original throwing stars for it but haven't came up with much during an online search.

Since I know people will ask, I paid 14k for the car and am expecting about 3-4k in repairs before I pick it up. Has 109k miles, black on black.

I don't know anything, but why not drive it all the way home? :D

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      I don't know anything, but why not drive it all the way home? :D
      Because Canada and also unknown car + remote alcan highway = too much risk

Comment

Originally posted by Colt601 View Post
        Because Canada and also unknown car + remote alcan highway = too much risk
        You're right, we are a very scary and unknown people in the great white north.

Kidding aside - seems like a lot of extra work to be honest. If its the border patrol you're worried about, usually they dont hassle you as long as you dont have a criminal record, guns in the vehicle and you be honest with all your paperwork in check for the purchase of the car.

If it were me I would relish at the opportunity to drive the car all through the BC rockies towards Alaska!
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
          You're right, we are a very scary and unknown people in the great white north.

Kidding aside - seems like a lot of extra work to be honest. If its the border patrol you're worried about, usually they dont hassle you as long as you dont have a criminal record, guns in the vehicle and you be honest with all your paperwork in check for the purchase of the car.

If it were me I would relish at the opportunity to drive the car all through the BC rockies towards Alaska!
          Truth be told I don't have a passport LOL

And shipping the car is easy. Drop off in Kent, WA. $1500 bucks. Car gets loaded into a container safe and sound. Ready for pick up in about 5 days.

I wouldn't mind having a cup holder while driving to Washington though

Comment

Why no pics/link?
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Colt601 View Post
              Truth be told I don't have a passport LOL

And shipping the car is easy. Drop off in Kent, WA. $1500 bucks. Car gets loaded into a container safe and sound. Ready for pick up in about 5 days.

I wouldn't mind having a cup holder while driving to Washington though
              Ahh that makes sense then.

To be honest, if I were in Vancouver I would offer to pick the car up in Washington and drive it to Alaska for you for less than $1500!
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

How many miles? If its past 120k has the head been taken off ever? Cooling system might need an overhaul too.

Should be a fun car, I enjoyed mine, just didnt like the "porky-ness" of the car and sold it a year later to get an E30
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  How many miles? If its past 120k has the head been taken off ever? Cooling system might need an overhaul too.

Should be a fun car, I enjoyed mine, just didnt like the "porky-ness" of the car and sold it a year later to get an E30
                  109,000 miles. I trust the shop its at to give her what she needs

Once it gets to Alaska it'll be lucky to see 1500 miles a year

Comment

That's a lot of moniez for only driving a car 1500 a year. Cars like to be driven.

Comment

Working...
                    X