R134a in 92 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbmwiv View Post
    Or find a good used one I usually find them for $75 and u can test if the compressor works off the car. And if the car it is taken off of is full of freeon then it’s not leaking. To check if it works put your finger over each hole in the top and turn the front of the compressor and see if vacuum pulls on your finger from one of the line connectors. One will blow which you can’t detect but use your thumb and if it’s working you will feel slight suction. If there’s no suction then the compressor is bad. Been testing them that way for over 25 years and never got a bad compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s good advice but won’t the seals blow anyway if I ad r134a since the compressors were made for r12?

1992 325i Convertible - "project"
    1994 325is - Daily

Comment

No I have a e30 I converted over 20 years ago and haven’t recharged since and it’s still ice cold.

Comment

That’s a lie they put out about 134a eating r12 seals.

Comment

The key to the conversion is to only put 80% capacity of 134a in that the sticker calls for for the r12. The sticker will be something like 1.45lbs convert to ounces 1.45x16=23.2 then 23.2/100=0.232 .232x80=18.56 ounces. This is the amount of 134a to put in. This is just an example of how to do the math to properly charge it.

Comment

R134a in 92 325i

The key to the conversion is to only put 80% capacity of 134a in that the sticker calls for for the r12. The sticker will be something like 1.45lbs convert to ounces 1.45x16=23.2 then 23.2/100=0.232 .232x80=18.56 ounces. This is the amount of 134a to put in. This is just an example of how to do the math to properly charge it.

Alright screw it I’ll give it a try. Dye was put in the system last time it was filled so I’m going to look at every seal and make sure there are no leaks. Again since the car is a weekend car I don’t mind it being taken apart and put together over the course of a couple days. Specially now that we have a heat wave I won’t be driving it without AC

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

You can find a shaft seal kit for your compressor and rebuilt it.

Here is a link :

It is indicate for SS 148 PB, SS 170 PSS and SS 811 PB5

I think the santech P/N is MT2106 for the shaft seal kit for SEIKO SEIKO SS148PB.
              Not 100% sure, you have to check before.

Comment

My compressor is also leaking here from what I was told. From my understanding I can’t change that seal?

Tomorrow I get my UV glasses and light delivered and I’ll be able to inspect everything thoroughly at home.

1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Recharging your own Air conditioning system is one of those things that seems difficult, but really is rather simple as long as you have all the correct tools and follow the correct steps. I will as in depth as I can describe how to properly pull a vacuum on your car, how to check it

Use R12a (different from R12 proper). It will be compatible in your system regardless if it was retrofitted or not.
                  Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

So I looked at the car over the weekend and noticed that the compressor showed dye all over it but not from a specific part. So I looked at the engine and found dye on it as well all the way to the power steering pump. At this point I was puzzled and thought of the possibility of the condenser having the leak. As I pointed the light to the condenser I noticed the dye was peppered all over the front bottom half of the condenser. Same as if you looked at a cars front end that'd be peppered with rock chips if that makes sense. I'm starting to wonder if the condenser is the culprit and as the car was moving it pushed the leaking dye/freon on the the bottom of the motor? Is this far fetched?
                    1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Sounds like you found your culprit. The last e30 ac I did the customer replaced the compressor his self and it was still leaking out. He brought it in and it put uv dye in it and charged it, put it on the lift and went all over the ac. The condenser was leaking in the same place. Lower left corner. Put a used condenser in and all was good.

Comment

R134a in 92 325i

Ps the dye glows much better with uv. They sell kits at autozone or other parts stores. For around $12 that come with a uv pen light and yellow glasses. The yellow glasses make it show up better. I use a 12v 50w light on my stuff. But those are expensive. The key is to do it in the dark. Either in a garage with the lights off or if you don’t have one wait till dark and you will be able to pinpoint the leak exactly. Remove your grills so you can see behind and your rt side headlight trim on the back of the light in the engine bay to expose the fittings in that area. Check every single fitting you can to make sure that they are good.

Comment

Ps the dye glows much better with uv. They sell kits at autozone or other parts stores. For around $12 that come with a uv pen light and yellow glasses. The yellow glasses make it show up better. I use a 12v 50w light on my stuff. But those are expensive. The key is to do it in the dark. Either in a garage with the lights off or if you don’t have one wait till dark and you will be able to pinpoint the leak exactly. Remove your grills so you can see behind and your rt side to expose the fittings in that area. Check every single fitting you can to make sure that they are good.

Yeah thats what I was using I got it from amazon. UV light and yellow glasses.
                          1994 325is - Daily

Comment

Working...
                          X