A/T Lifted M21 iX Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thebrendo View Post
    Ive got a 1990 325i and recently swapped in 535i springs in the front. and e36 springs/with custom spacer into the rear. I definitely got the lift i was after. However, running those spring rates is nearly undrivable on gravel roads. the car skips over potholes and loses traction from such a stiff suspension setup.

Do you experience this with your suspension setup?

I haven't drive on any "main" gravel roads so nothing more than 30-40 mph, it wasn't the most pleasant but I didn't feel like I was nearing the edge of driveability or anything.

Definitely don't have issues like that with potholes though. Might not have a lot of gravel around me but I certainly have potholes haha. I've put roughly 5k miles on my car since lifting it and have been pretty satisfied with the handling.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Check out my BMW Fault Code Index
    '89 Turbo M20 Zinno Cabrio (scrapped)
    '89 Zinno IX (sold)
    '91 Granit Turbo S52 Sedan (scrapped)
    '91 WIP (scrapped)
    '13 F10 Carbon Black 550iX MSport
    '91 iX Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by MattPro View Post
      I haven't drive on any "main" gravel roads so nothing more than 30-40 mph, it wasn't the most pleasant but I didn't feel like I was nearing the edge of driveability or anything.

Definitely don't have issues like that with potholes though. Might not have a lot of gravel around me but I certainly have potholes haha. I've put roughly 5k miles on my car since lifting it and have been pretty satisfied with the handling.

thanks for the response. i ended up swapping springs to e30 vert all the way round. kept the spacers in the rear and seem to be sitting pretty level. car handles much better, the suspension seems to be doing its job. the rest will be taken up by running bigger tires aired down.

another question for you.. How much do you feel the lift aided in fitting the general grabber tires? how crucial is ride height to the overall fitment of the tires? I'm hoping to lift the car only as much as needed to avoid major rubbing, to retain stability and spring softness. I'll likely have to do some trimming.

Where specifically did you run into rubbing issues?

thanks again!

Comment

Big photo and video dump incoming, but took the iX to a local offroad park. A lot of confused looks for sure.

The car did amazing though. Got stuck once (the tripod pic) and had to get pulled after a big puddle because the engine didn't want to run. Killed the alternator but that's the only mechanical damage (besides some scratches and dents haha)

Video:

Thanks,
        Matt

'89 Zinno IX (sold)
        '91 WIP (scrapped)
        '91 iX Sedan

Comment

I have to admit it looks fun. But I could never do this with my ix. I will live vicariously through you in this aspect.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

27x8.5

Other updates:
            When I found the coolant and oil were mixing, I pulled the head and it checked out straight so I just decided to replace the gasket. Looks like that didn't pay off, checked the oil to find this today:

Was hoping to escape a trip to the machine shop, but I must have missed seeing a crack on the head or block. Going to take the block from the manual swap parts car and another good head with a bad valvetrain and make the best out of it.

Good thing for FCP euro's lifetime policy on the headgasket parts I just bought ;)

Sucks that you did the head gasket with the oil/coolant mix. The m20 has no place where they can mix when a HG blows, I have found over the years that it's always a cracked head. I've put pressure testers on the cooling systems, and you can literally see the coolant spewing out from under the cam with the valve cover off.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

ix is such a beast. im sure can confidently romp on that thing.

Comment

What a total Panzer! An incredible build, loved reading the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                  I have to admit it looks fun. But I could never do this with my ix. I will live vicariously through you in this aspect.
                  I don't blame you! Especially if you have a clean car. I probably would never be this crazy if I had a very clean shell.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Sucks that you did the head gasket with the oil/coolant mix. The m20 has no place where they can mix when a HG blows, I have found over the years that it's always a cracked head. I've put pressure testers on the cooling systems, and you can literally see the coolant spewing out from under the cam with the valve cover off.
                  I never would have thought that the head would randomly crack on me with no overheating. Since I had the car for over a month before the coolant and oil started mixing, I figured it was an old overheat and the gasket had slowly been giving way or something. I still think it's crazy that nothing started mixing until a while after I had it.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  ix is such a beast. im sure can confidently romp on that thing.
                  Oh yeah, have never been afraid of getting stuck once! It always surprises me how well it does in any terrain.

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
                  What a total Panzer! An incredible build, loved reading the thread.
                  Thank you, I am having a blast with this car so I only hope others can enjoy it as well!
                  Thanks,
                  Matt

'89 Zinno IX (sold)
                  '91 WIP (scrapped)
                  '91 iX Sedan

Comment

I never would have thought that the head would randomly crack on me with no overheating. Since I had the car for over a month before the coolant and oil started mixing, I figured it was an old overheat and the gasket had slowly been giving way or something. I still think it's crazy that nothing started mixing until a while after I had it.

Yes, they do crack randomly, but usually is due to an overheat. Not sure how many miles you put on it, but if the crack was small and grew over time, might have taken a bit for you to get enough coolant in the oil to notice. They crack under the cam valley, usually around cylinder #5, but I have had them come in the shop with a crack that went all the way from #2-#6. :/
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Yes, they do crack randomly, but usually is due to an overheat. Not sure how many miles you put on it, but if the crack was small and grew over time, might have taken a bit for you to get enough coolant in the oil to notice. They crack under the cam valley, usually around cylinder #5, but I have had them come in the shop with a crack that went all the way from #2-#6. :/
                      Already gave the head away under suspicion of being cracked, but should have taken a better look at it since the cam was out. Oh well. 2-6 crack is insane though!

In other typical E30 news, had to do a hard brake as someone cut me off and was greeted with a nice pop and lost the brake pedal...

Right above the subframe too. Gotta love E30s.

Sketchy but I capped off the rear brakes at the ABS pump. My F10 should be done any day and I am going to do the subframe bushings/gas tank right after so I need the car in the next few days for short trips.
                      Thanks,
                      Matt

'89 Zinno IX (sold)
                      '91 WIP (scrapped)
                      '91 iX Sedan

Comment

Did the hard line burst, or is it the rubber line right at the crimp? Hard to see in the pics. If it's the rubber line, they aren't terrible to change.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Working...
                        X