Dmanb2b's Alpine 318is - S52 is ALIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dmanb2b's Alpine 318is - S52 is ALIVE

Quickly introducing my newest addition to the BMW family (also have diesel e90 and '04 e46 coupe). This little gem was hidden away in upstate NY and has been owned by the same family for the past 20 years. Originally, delivered in Atlanta. I won't have many updates now as car is heading into winter storage, but there is another COTM 318is that will serve as my inspiration for this vehicle

About as bone stock and rust free as you can find with 244K shown on odometer and most of it's life in Northeast. Owner always stored in winter, so car has not seen salt. Below are build specs:

========================================
    Vehicle information
    ========================================
    VIN: WBAAF9310MEE74003
    Type code: AF93
    Model: 318IS (USA)
    E-F-R series: E30
    Series: 3
    Type: LIM
    Steering: LL
    Doors: 2
    Engine: M42
    Displacement: 1.80
    Power: 103 (140 hp)
    Drive: HECK
    Transmission: MECH
    Paint code: 218 - ALPINWEISS 2
    Upholstery code: 1991-02-15
    Prod.date: EE74003 AF93 218 0192 3' E30
    -
    S242 Steering wheel airbag
    S281 BMW LA wheel, chr.-plated/roundspokes
    S300 Central locking with anti-theft system
    S400 Slide/tilt sunroof, manually operated
    S410 Window lifts, electric, front
    S481 Sports seat
    S530 Air conditioning
    S556 Outdoor temperature indicator
    S925 Dispatch protection pack

Last edited by dmanb2b; 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM.
    1991 318is
    2004 330ci
    2011 335d

Nice car! (Though I may be biased)

Looking forward to see what you do with it. Seems like an excellent candidate to start with!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Looking forward to see what you do with it. Seems like an excellent candidate to start with!
      You're not biased, despite your E30, and this seems like a solid platform to do whatever you want with an E30.

Comment

nice find!
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Thanks Mike...if I can get this close to your ride I will be happy. Paint correction, interior detail, suspension, refurbish wheels, front seats, radio and speakers are probably first along with refreshing fluids, etc. Car was also maintained by same mechanic for last 15 years, so I have the history :>). Clutch is original.....

BTW, do you mind me asking what % tint you have on windows? Also curious what you did to wheels to freshen them up?
          1991 318is
          2004 330ci
          2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
            BTW, do you mind me asking what % tint you have on windows? Also curious what you did to wheels to freshen them up?
            I believe mine is 35% rear and 50% front. I had to have the fronts redone as the whole car was 35% (previous owner), but the fronts needed to be 50% to be legal in VA.

I was lucky and didn't have to do anything to the wheels. The factory silver paint has seen better days, but the previous owners apparently knew how to park because they aren't curbed at all. I plan to repaint them sometime next year. I've done a few sets of other wheels by hand that turned out nicely.

Comment

Dang, I am really disliking winter. Good news is that the 318is is coming out of storage in the next few weeks and it's time for me to start accumulating suspension parts. Thinking I will be going with H&R OE Sport and e90 drop hats. Have not made up my mind about struts though. Leaning toward Koni's. Then it's time to go through the brake system and refresh fluids. Tired of these wheels sitting under my office desk and I need to order an oem IS lip...

And decided it was time to put summer wheels back on the other two BMWs.

That's it for now...lmk if you have any other recommendations ;>)
              1991 318is
              2004 330ci
              2011 335d

Comment

Looking forward to the updates. Great car.

Comment

Update...car is out of storage. Help me decide between OE Sport springs and e90 drop hats or BC coilovers. Both will run about the same in terms of total cost. BC seems to have a good rep, but hard to pass up OEM+ look of H&R OE Sport springs and the reliability of strut/spring combo...hmm

Rainy day

Rock chips on rear passenger quarter require attention

Need to order IS lip and restore plastic grille

Oil cap and VCG need some love

Most significant rust spot requiring attention...rest of car is pretty darn solid
                  1991 318is
                  2004 330ci
                  2011 335d

Comment

You know my vote :) : shocks and springs. If you're happy with the H&R OE Sport Spring ride height, just go with those. Front can be dropped additional 12mm with E90 drop hats. Rear can be raised/lowered with the 3mm-15mm variety of spring pads. Here's a link to a photo of mine with 50404.55, Bilstein B4s, new stock drop hats, new stock mounts, new new stock pads all around (7.5mm pads in the rear): https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3da1e64b_k.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Comment

You know my vote :) : shocks and springs. If you're happy with the H&R OE Sport Spring ride height, just go with those. Front can be dropped additional 12mm with E90 drop hats. Rear can be raised/lowered with the 3mm-15mm variety of spring pads. Here's a link to a photo of mine with 50404.55, Bilstein B4s, new stock drop hats, new stock mounts, new new stock pads all around (7.5mm pads in the rear): https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3da1e64b_k.jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you decide!
                      Thank you Mike! That parts list we discussed is getting priced as we speak, with the addition of e90 drop hats ;D
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
                        Thank you Mike! That parts list we discussed is getting priced as we speak, with the addition of e90 drop hats ;D
                        Yeah, you may not need to replace all the stuff I did. I may have gone overboard a bit and all that little hardware adds up $$. I didn't mention that I did new control arms, CABs, sway bar bushings, and some other stuff prior to the springs and shocks. :)

If you go the coil over route, find a spare set of front strut housings as I assume all the coil over kits require you to cut and weld the stock front strut housings.

Comment

Quick update, suspension, clutch and motor needs to be resealed. After much thought and consideration of my end goals, I have decided to move forward with a swap. The M42 drivetrain will be put up for sale and work on the below s52 will begin. Purchased from another enthusiast with a few cool cars:

S52 - will go through full seal and gasket refresh, including head gasket and machining head
                          Last edited by dmanb2b; 05-24-2019, 08:37 AM.
                          1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

Progress has been slow, but things should start moving quickly as I am almost done accumulating parts. Once M42 is removed, it will be for sale.

Scored a great deal on some blemished Corbeau GTS 2, that should match up OK with tan interior

Decided to move forward with coilovers

and upgrading front brakes to IE 295mm BBK.

If anyone is interested in the m42 drivetrain or front sport seats, shoot me a PM
                            1991 318is
                            2004 330ci
                            2011 335d

Comment

Decided to have the s52 head pulled to inspect and at minimum replace head gasket. Bittersweet, but glad I did as the cams need to be cleaned up and polished...next step is to inspect bottom end. BMW = Bring my wallet ;>)
                              1991 318is
                              2004 330ci
                              2011 335d

Comment

Working...
                              X