No announcement yet.

I crashed my 345i (pictures inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn man, sorry to see that. Im with most of the people on here, pick up a new shell. Youve got too much into it to get rid of the whole thing. Good luck!
    -Chris

Comment

Before you get set on a new shell... take my opinion and consider it.

I had similar damage, I got t-boned in my 4 door on the quarter panel.

New quarter panel from BMW: $300
      New inner fender from BMW: $150
      New tail panel from BMW: $100

Used tail light, bumper pieces, trunk brackets... whatever.... < $100

My car was an 85 eta, with 223k miles, but I was attached, and let me tell you, I'm very glad I took the time to learn how to do body work, and weld the new panel on. I'm sure you can find a buddy who can weld if you can't (that's what I did). When you are done, the satisfaction is amazing, even if it's not perfect.

You could even get used parts and save a TON of money. I got new parts because I couldn't find anyone to cut off and sell me the parts, and I needed the car done ASAP (it was my daily).

See my website, under my car section, for pics of the damage. Mine didn't look as bad, but the same parts needed replaced as you'll need.

Don't listen to people who say it will never be the same. Those are probably the people who drive around on killed trailing arm and sub frame bushings, they are not the people to say you can't straighten a body. Your damage does not look like it effected the structural integrity of the car, either.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Thanks guys

I was actually thinking of swapping with a convertible shell.....

For those of you who know the differences between the sedans and convertibles, which kinds of obstacles would I be looking at? Aspects such as:
        Front end suspension
        Frame differences

I feel like I need to sit back and relax for a little bit and let it all sink in before I do anything. I'm going to give it a couple weeks...
        Recent Rebranding!!
        Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
        Instagram.com/garageaholic
        Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

You shouldn't hit any big problems going from sedan to convertible. The things that are different are the springs, if you were thinking about switching suspensions, the spring rates are different because of the ass end weight in the vert. Everything other than that I think would be swap in swap out kinda deal. The rear seats and some other interior stuff won't fit the vert but find one with a decent interior and that will be solved.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that...That sucks...

Are m30 turbos cursed?

Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

2 things....
              George - M30 turbos are uncaged animals. I'm sure you already know this, lol, but the power is a drug and it's human nature to push it to the limits, to see what it can do.. I just got unlucky (but considering the circumstances, i was actually very lucky)

As far as the spring rates of the vert, I have a much larger front end weight due to the engine, so would it be safe to assume that it would offset? or should i get vert springs....
              Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

If you want a vert, get a vert shell and start dismantling, but if you want to fix it go ahead and do it.

Remeber when everybody said you couldn't roll a car, well, it's done, go to a junkyard get the dented panels for peanuts, get hold of some welding gear, grab the shears and fix it, then roller the parts again.

Don't get desperate about this, just look down at your hands and then look at your car, you are among the few that can say "I did it myself".

Just get a rear quarter and the parts you need and swap them, it's not hard to do, it's lots of work, byt not impossible, and you will end up spending less than $ 400 in parts.;)

just my 2c.

BTW, glad nothing happened to you.

And keep in mind that all of us have done stupid things, I have wrecked 3 cars so far, the last one 19 years ago, so I must have learned something in those three accidents, of course it could happen again, but don't doubt yourself, there is a saying here "Matar el chuncho" that's in spanish/chilean indian, roughly translates as "kill the spook", what we do here is go to the place we crashed as soon as possible and do it again but right, you'll see you learned and that you won't crash again...
                Last edited by ivo316; 04-23-2007, 12:56 PM.

Comment

damn........sorry to see that..when i seen the title i was hoping to see fixable damage.......i was sorta in your same boat wondering what to do....id suggest for starters decided if u wanna fix it or not, if u dont wanna fix it pull all your good shit out and sit on it till that perfect shell comes around. dont get discouraged just keep drving and learn from your mistakes...we all have to start somewhere..even if you're starting from a m30 lol.

Comment

sorry to see this. but definitely glad you're alright.

Originally posted by DBcooperM12
                    when i grow up, i hope to be a superamazinasian....like dom.

Comment

So sad to hear frank!!!

I know how much blood sweat and tears you put into that car!!!!!

I dont know if its worth it to fix it, or swap it.
                      Im in the same boat, my driver side quarter/rim/subframe got hit when I was T-boned.
                      As of now im leaning towards a new shell.

First things first, glad to hear you are ok!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You know, threads like this are much more interesting when you tell us how you did it.

:(

That said, that sucks, i've been there and it blows.
                        Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                        Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

Just cruise the drift scene and rock it. Chicks dig 'battle scars'

I'm not sure what your plans are for the car, but most clubs won't allow heavily modified verts on the track.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by AlarmedBread View Post
                            Just cruise the drift scene and rock it.
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzen View Post
                              You know, threads like this are much more interesting when you tell us how you did it.

At least he is taking ownership of his accident. ;)

Sucks to hear dude. After following the progress of your car for the last few months this is sad to see. Good to hear you are not giving up and I recommend giving it a few days before you decide to part/repair/etc. I hope you stick with it and don't part it. Once you rebuild I would search out some good performance driving schools and learn to handle that thing in the correct environment. Glad to hear you are ok.
                              sigpic

Comment

time to get a new ///M shell
                                Continuous For Sale Thread
                                323i s50

Comment

Working...
                                X