• mtechnik
    replied
    Welcome to R3Vlimited.

I see the guys have 'welcomed' your car too,

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean View Post
    Do you know if the head bolts to the m10 block or if they are completely different ?
    No, the M10 and M40/M43 are entirely different engines!

The M40 and M43 are very similar on the other hand, the M43 is the evolution of the M40 with a timing chain instead of belt and improved emissions/mileage. Most M40 parts fit an M43 and vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Originally posted by God View Post
    I've only heard about him, I don't know him in person although I'd like to!

The M43 is SOHC too. You guys just don't get small engines over there, they aren't meant for touring! :)

Thanks!
    Do you know if the head bolts to the m10 block or if they are completely different ?

Leave a comment:

• BmwEvoSport
    replied
    Originally posted by oldcarskickass View Post
    I know Efthimiou and seen him a few times with the yellow E30 on Ritsona Hill racing and some drift events.

Prioni to ergalio!!!
    Hey Do you work in Metamorfose at the beta by chance?

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    Originally posted by BmwEvoSport View Post
    Hey do you know Efthimiou? , Hes in Peristeri and had a real DTM E30 M3 . its yellow. I know the guy , really nice guy.
    I've only heard about him, I don't know him in person although I'd like to!

Originally posted by Jean View Post
    SOHC M4X ? learn something new everyday!

Welcome.
    The M43 is SOHC too. You guys just don't get small engines over there, they aren't meant for touring! :)

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    SOHC M4X ? learn something new everyday!

Welcome.

Leave a comment:

• oldcarskickass
    replied
    Originally posted by BmwEvoSport View Post
    Hey do you know Efthimiou? , Hes in Peristeri and had a real DTM E30 M3 . its yellow. I know the guy , really nice guy.
    I know Efthimiou and seen him a few times with the yellow E30 on Ritsona Hill racing and some drift events.

Prioni to ergalio!!!

Leave a comment:

• BmwEvoSport
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oldcarskickass
    replied

I will chase you and kill you in sight in order to take them!!!

And about the lowering issues in Greece thats my car 3.5mm lowered front/rear with 195/60/R14 wheels, and what is left from the oil pan...

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
    share the specs? I guess other than a full exhaust, hot cam, eeprom and some port and polishing on the head what is there?

I'm thinking of just doing an m42 swap (i have to stay 4cyl)
    Thanks
    Julien
    Go with the M42 swap, trust me!
    Oh, the S14 is 4-cyl too, you know. :D

Well, the basics are:

Full exhaust (duh)
    264 degree camshaft with deeper diving (not sure how that is called in English)
    Polished valves and intake manifold
    Lowered cylinder head, quite a lot
    Stronger valve springs (from a Cosworth, don't know the exact model, not a Ford fan)
    High compression gasket
    ECU programmed on a dyno
    4.27 open diff

The rest are minor compared to the above (e.g. colder Brisk LGS spark plugs, ignition wires, free flow air filter, etc) but each adds to it a little bit.

The engine performs but not very linear, actually it is dead below 2500rpm and wakes up after 3000rpm and due to the very high compression it cannot run properly on anything less but shell 100 octane fuel. Not the most user friendly engine admittedly!

In a few weeks I will try and see if it is better to remove the modified cam and install and original cam and ECU. At least it should be able to use normal fuel but I want to see what the HP expense will be.

With only the camshaft I got about 107HP on the wheels, on a mustang dyno (I think some people may have seen one of these up close, it's an american dyno anyway!).

Tuning the M40 engine is NOT very wise and cost-friendly. I just happen to have a lot of friends (including mechanics, engine repair shops etc) so most of these most cost me as much as the parts I was buying, less than 1/5 of what a normal person would pay. And still I'd rather have a M42, but you cannot find a good 20 y/o sports engine here anymore!

Leave a comment:

• redbull 325is
    replied
    Nice pic. :D

141.2HP on a dyno. No bore, I went another way, but who said it didn't take big money anyway? :(

An M43 1.9 motor from an early E46 would be better and even cost lower here than making the M40 an 1.9. And who would go with a 1.9 when you can make it a 2.1 the same way anyway? :D

Thanks. :)
    share the specs? I guess other than a full exhaust, hot cam, eeprom and some port and polishing on the head what is there?

I'm thinking of just doing an m42 swap (i have to stay 4cyl)
    Thanks
    Julien

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    Originally posted by redbull 325is View Post
    ?

Kudos on Airco.. i just got done installing factory A/C in my M40 318ic

I call bullshit. I takes big money to get an M40 up to 140hp (bore to 1.9L for starters)...

Welcome
    Julien

Nice pic. :D

141.2HP on a dyno. No bore, I went another way, but who said it didn't take big money anyway? :(

An M43 1.9 motor from an early E46 would be better and even cost lower here than making the M40 an 1.9. And who would go with a 1.9 when you can make it a 2.1 the same way anyway? :D

Thanks. :)

Leave a comment:

• redbull 325is
    replied
    Originally posted by God
    Here is my baby
    ?

Kudos on Airco.. i just got done installing factory A/C in my M40 318ic

140 HP
    I call bullshit. I takes big money to get an M40 up to 140hp (bore to 1.9L for starters)...

Welcome
    Julien

Leave a comment:

• God
    replied
    Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
    Should have warmed your engine up before running it like that. Tsk tsk.

Nice car. And what an odd engine. So I guess the M40 is really more like an evolution of the M10? Or is it like an M10 head on an M42 block?
    Oh I couldn't, bad thermostat at the time. The oil was warm enough though. :)

Yeah the M40 is the evolution step between the M10 and M43. Practically it is an M43 but with a belt instead of a chain. It was meant to be the first motronic ECU controlled factory catalytic 4-cylinders from BMW in EU. More like the 'high-tech' enviromental evolution of a M10 with much lower emissions and better mileage.

Leave a comment:

• rThor432
    replied
    Should have warmed your engine up before running it like that. Tsk tsk.

Nice car. And what an odd engine. So I guess the M40 is really more like an evolution of the M10? Or is it like an M10 head on an M42 block?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X