goin a bit lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 318isbmw View Post
    Looks badass, I like hte wheels but drop it more, it aint that bad. w/ Ireland stage 3's which is 2 inch drop I havne't had any rub issue w/ 225/50/15 and same wheels.

i have a set of p600s 225 50 15 on MSW's...but they feel really heavy....compared to the 205's...will i notice this a lot more? comparing the two?
    -His-
    87 e30 325i
    87 e24 m6
    05 e83 x3
    94 e32 740i 5spd
    -Hers-
    89 e30 325i
    18 f48 x1

Comment

I've got 205/50/15's and no rubbing on billy sports and eibachs.
      '88 325

Comment

billies and konis are both excelent.
        90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

I'm trying to upload a pic that I did of your car lowered and it says
          Invalid file extension. Allowed extensions for this category are jpg, gif, png, jpeg
          What am I doing wrong?
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by hendrixvodu View Post
            do you think this is a good ride height to stay at for the time being? and how long do you think I will get out of them?... annnnnnd then what should I do for shocks....ive heard good things on billy's but how are say Koni's?

I think it is fine for now... I mean you were riding at stock height before right? It looks better than stock but definitely could go lower.

The idea that lowering a car on stock shocks is bad is still somewhat debatable. I think that since you are not that low right now your shocks would probably be fine. It won't handle as well as if you had sport shocks but its not doing to be horrific either.

e34 guys lower cars on oe struts all the time with really no repercussions. the idea is to maintain a somewhat stockish feeling ride by using lower but still relatively soft springs w/ oe shocks.

Here is something to take into consideration...

There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...wh ere the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth. (From George Mann)

I don't know if this guy is full of shit or not but it seems logical to me. I think your shocks would last for a long time at your current height but if you want to go lower I would get some sport shocks.

Konis are more expensive and generally not as stiff as billys but you can adjust konis to be stiffer. You cant adjust billys to be softer. Billys can be rebuilt also... I don't know if konis can be rebuilt.

Its really personal preference and a financial decision.

If it were me I would drive it as is for a few months then do buy some billy sports and drop it on its ass. I mean, that is why you got coilovers right?

1989 325iX
            1995 540i
            1986 325eS R.I.P.
            1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

I will tell everyone now that you won't ever get it low enough to make most any 15" tire rub.

I don't really have much issues if any when I throw the storage wheels on there - 195/60/15. Maybe a quarter inch of room between the top of the tire and the fender. Rides awesome with all that rubber but looks refuckingtarded.
              . . .
              Erik

Comment

How about 295/50/15s? I bet them shits might rub...

I saw some jackass actually run those on an older Porsche 911 Targa. Looked retarded as hell...
                '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

haha 295/50... you've got me there. Does anyone even sell those anymore?
                  . . .
                  Erik

Comment

We had some in stock about a year ago when I still worked at the tire shop, but they aren't exactly a common size... lol
                    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

I don't know if this guy is full of shit or not but it seems logical to me. I think your shocks would last for a long time at your current height but if you want to go lower I would get some sport shocks.

Konis are more expensive and generally not as stiff as billys but you can adjust konis to be stiffer. You cant adjust billys to be softer. Billys can be rebuilt also... I don't know if konis can be rebuilt.

Its really personal preference and a financial decision.

If it were me I would drive it as is for a few months then do buy some billy sports and drop it on its ass. I mean, that is why you got coilovers right?[/quote]

this is true i did get them to go lower...i like the height i am at now...because the area i live in is plagued with pot holes ... this is why i got the CG's so i could adjust them...because i like the idea that you can go really low and if your not happy with that one day you can go up....but i think i will go with the billys...now they make a heavy duty and a sport...via Bavauto.....are the heavy duty for non lowered cars...??? and if someone bought shocks just for lowering and say they had stock springs...would this mess ip the shock???
                      -His-
                      87 e30 325i
                      87 e24 m6
                      05 e83 x3
                      94 e32 740i 5spd
                      -Hers-
                      89 e30 325i
                      18 f48 x1

Comment

Working...
                      X