My beloved rust bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My beloved rust bucket

I picked up this '91 318is (Ginger) a few months back. It's my first BMW, but I've always loved e30s. I was looking for something with a 4cyl that would get a bit better mpg and could serve as a daily driver that was more on the sporty side.

The suspension was blown so I ordered up a some Koni sport struts and H&R sport springs. However, what I intended to be a weekend project has now turned into a 5 week nightmare after the effects of this car's Illinois upbringing showed their nasty head...

It turned out the collar nut for the strut tubes was COMPLETELY rusted to the strut housing (so I ordered replacements). The struts housing was solidly fused to the CA ball joint and tie-rod, and I destroyed the boots on both trying to get the strut housing off (so I ordered replacements).

When I went to remove the CA's I noticed the subframe had rust holes and corrosion all around the CA mounting holes (so I ordered replacement). When I went to take off the subframe, I broke off the top of one of the 4 bolts. I figured the subframe would just slip down off the 'stud' that was left, but it was completely fused to the subframe.

I ended up cutting the subframe in half so I could rotate it around the broken bolt, hoping it would break free from the subframe or start rotating out of the frame rail.... no such luck. Instead, it broke of in the frame rail.

Now I have to drill out, or otherwise remove a broken stud, a broken easy-out, and copious amounts of rust. I'm hoping to be able to drill it all out and put in a helicoil. Any bits on how many drill bits I'll break???

Anyhow.... She's my ulgy baby....

I'm really looking forward to getting her back on the road with the new suspension, new brakes / rotors, new 4.10 LSD, new CA's, offset CA busings, tie-rods, spark plugs, engine oil (synth 15w50), tranny oil (MT90), LSD oil (75w140), and just about every bushing you could think off.

Never, ever, EVER, buy a car from the mid-west. :crazy: ...Especially such a rare e30 M42 combination like this.
    www.SpitfireEFI.com Custom Megasquirt ECU's
    sigpic
    '91 318is

Nice x1/9, looks built up for rallying?

You'll love the 318is when you get it going.
    sigpic
    1991 Diamantschwarz 318is
    1998 Cosmosschwarz M3 Sedan

Comment

Yeah I just brought my new car from Florida to Illinois. This will be the only winter it will see in Illinois. (If all works out) I cringe every time I hear about incoming snow storms.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Staticpulse View Post
        Yeah I just brought my new car from Florida to Illinois. This will be the only winter it will see in Illinois. (If all works out) I cringe every time I hear about incoming snow storms.
        Please, please, please.... invest $500 to buy a winter beater. Do not drive your new car in the snow, or be prepared for this:

sigpic
        '91 318is

Comment

Diggin the bluepoint jackstands there. My snapon rep tried to get them for me for like 6wks. I gave up and went to Harbor Freight.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            Diggin the bluepoint jackstands there. My snapon rep tried to get them for me for like 6wks. I gave up and went to Harbor Freight.
            Likewise but put them on the frame rail next time.

I broke a bolt on my engine cradel also, but i welded the fucker insted.

GL, whats the story on the other car?

Originally posted by vlad
            Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Bertone X1/9 huh, I have seen some hybrid nightmares of those back in the day. They all but don't exist anymore like Fiero's. That being said I saw one two days ago on the beltway.

Comment

Nice to see another Bhammer..I know thats what PNW really means. :D
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

nice to see you out there fighting the rust

lord knows ive had my fair share of ahhh fuck it moments on my e30
                  Originally posted by ebelements
                  Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

If you have a broken easy out, then you are in for a nightmare. I have people binging in parts all the time with broken easy outs all the time. The only way to get them out is with a solid carbide drill bit and they are not forgiving in a hand drill at all. I hope you the best of luck getting that out.
                    sigpic
                    1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                    1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                    1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                    1990 E30 325i
                    1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                    1996 E36 328ic
                    1997 Z3
                    2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

Originally posted by craig4ie View Post
                      Nice x1/9, looks built up for rallying?

You'll love the 318is when you get it going.
                      Yeah, it is my shopmate's Fiat X1/9. It's been build for rally, and I'm sure has seen LOTS of action, however none recently. It has a flat tire and is just kinda taking up space right now... It's REALLY rough around the edges and would need alot of work to be rally leagal again.
                      sigpic
                      '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                        I don't know what you're thinking.... Those jack stands are the most worthless pieces of $hit ever. They are very unstable; whoever's idea it was to make a Jack stand with a round base like that should be slapped.Your snapon rep did you a favor =)
                        sigpic
                        '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by dtdub View Post
                          Those jack stands are the most worthless pieces of $hit ever. They are very unstable; whoever's idea it was to make a Jack stand with a round base like that should be slapped.Your snapon rep did you a favor =)
                          +1, Ive had a car nearly fall off a round base stand similar to the blue points.
                          Four legs or square base ftw.
                          ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

UPDATE: The drilling is not going so well. That stud is going to be impossible to remove.

What if I just weld the subframe to the car?
                            sigpic
                            '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                              Likewise but put them on the frame rail next time.

I broke a bolt on my engine cradel also, but i welded the fucker insted.

GL, whats the story on the other car?
                              works

Originally posted by vlad
                              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Working...
                              X