I want my vert to look like this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want my vert to look like this

This is what I want my vert to look like.

Last year I foolishly installed H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports. The springs of course did not lower the car as much as I wanted (I had a full coil cut from the fronts along with the thinnest spring pad). I ordered a set of Suspension Techniques vert specific 55/35 springs. Anyone know if these will give me the look I am going for? If not, any suggestions? I don't want to go coilovers yet since I just got the Billy Sports.

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files

ground control coilovers with billy sports is what I'm running

Comment

I don't get the obsession with lowering.
      Mark
      88 325ic
      03 325i

Comment

Originally posted by 3two8eye View Post
        ground control coilovers with billy sports is what I'm running
        you dont have a picture... nor a vert.. nothing to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by mrl325i View Post
          The obsession is not with lowering (with the rake of my driveway and the streets of the North East, trust me I would keep the car as high as possible if it looked right to me) it's with aesthetics and proportion. The greenhouse to body ratio looks much better to me with the car sitting lower; The vert looks worse with the top down, 16's and the current ride height; I like to see less gap between the tire and top of fender than the tire and sides of fender; And I think the RS003 with standard lips don't look as nice with the car sitting as it does, which is probably about 3/4" higher than in the p-shop photo. It is not a DD so as long as it handles well on good roads, I am willing to drive slow and carefully on bad roads. Again, if I knew better, I would have gone coilovers, but for now is there a decent compromise?

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
          you dont have a picture... nor a vert.. nothing to compare it to.
          Great point. Thank you

Comment

The ST suspension 55/35, you will not, i mean not be happy with. I had them installed on my cabby, and rear had so much rake it looked like a drag BMW. I hated it and I am still to this day regret buying that kit. I would go coilovers, talk to Elliot (E30trash). He can help you out on the suspension. I can promise you that you will want to cut those springs, cause that is what i did to the rear. Get the 60/60 for the coupe/sedan, they are all the same.
            _________

Rep Savannah Crew

Comment

seriously, if your buying springs, don't complain on how low it goes, you can't get that much of a drop from springs on an e30.

you want a drop, get GCs. had them on my e30 with konis. lasted 2 years including canadian winters with no problems at all.

Comment

I cant remember if early cabrios have the smaller rear fenders or not. My LowTec 60/50 kit with no spring pads looks close to that pic you posted, if your fenders are smaller you might want more of a 60/40 kit with no spring pads.

Pic for referance:

Comment

Originally posted by mrl325i View Post
                  Very helpful, douchebag. Read up on basic car modifying techniques. Its an aesthetic and performance oriented improvement.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                  1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                  1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

(EDIT) Verts have the higher wheel arches like late model cars.

I ran H&R Race and Bilsteins on mine - do some searching and you should be able to find pics of it - it was pretty damn low - but tolerable for driving on normal roads.
                    Last edited by Dave; 06-30-2008, 04:34 PM.
                    Current Cars
                    2014 M235i
                    2009 R56 Cooper S
                    1998 M3
                    1997 M3

Comment

The H&R cup kit will give you the look you want. Very comfortable ride too.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

This isnt rocket science.

Stop wasting money on springs. Buy a set of GC's for 400 from Ground Control. Put them on your Billy sports. It feels just like HR race. Except you can go as low as you want.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                          The cup kit is specifically listed as 'Not for iC models' on the H&R website. Know why? Because the super soft springs and extra weight of the convertible DUMP the car. Ask '92 mtechnic cabrio', he broke 4 oil pans running that setup. Definitely not a good choice IMO if you are concerned with driveability.

As far as the OP, I'm in the same boat as you. I would like to get mine a bit lower too (I'm running the exact same setup as you) and I've come to the conclusion that coilovers may be the only way. You could always try the 60/50 springs, they sound like they'd be just about right. But to get exactly the height you want, coilovers are probably the only way to go. Oh and you can keep your Bilsteins with the GC coilovers, so you wont have to throw them out.

EDIT: Do the 91 verts have higher or lower arches?
                          Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I am running H&R race springs with no spring pads in front, and both in the rear. Without them in the rear the rocker panel sits dead level with the ground, but I wanted a little rake (1/2") since it already looked like it was sitting with reverse rake even though it wasn't. Think about people getting in the car and a trunk full of shit, it would sit way too low.

My stance looks pretty close to the picture at the top.

The picture was taken directly after I put them on and drove around the block, also at a low angle so it looks like there's a lot of fender gap up front. It's pretty good now though anyway, and the rear looks the same. I wouldn't go much lower than that. I scrape shit all the time on tall speed bumps once my front tires clear even if I'm barely moving, and one of my friends driveways drops away from a curb that angles up too at a pretty good angle. The car will cruise right over the rocker panels, exhaust etc, whatever every time I roll in ever so slightly. I try to avoid it whenever possible. Especially with people in my car. I'm running on stock size 195 65 14's too....they're fairly new too, so I can't wait to see what happens when they wear out and have almost a half inch of less clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              Verts have the higher wheel arches like late model cars.

I ran H&R Race and Bilsteins on mine - do some searching and you should be able to find pics of it - it was pretty damn low - but tolerable for driving on normal roads.

Dave,

All verts have LOWER rear wheel arches (like the facelift cars) despite the bumper style.

Not low enough for me. 55mm front is lower than the 1.6" claim for the H&R Race. Plus on a vert the extra weight on the rear will make it look like a speedboat.

Originally posted by scabzzzz View Post
                              This isnt rocket science.

Stop wasting money on springs. Buy a set of GC's for 400 from Ground Control. Put them on your Billy sports. It feels just like HR race. Except you can go as low as you want.

Thank you.
                              The $399 conversion kit will only get me down 1.75". Again, this is less than 55mm. I know I messed up and should have gone with full coilovers to begin with, and in a couple of years I may remedy this.

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                              No thanks. Check out CorvallisBMW's post.

Originally posted by CleanAzzE30z View Post
                              Very helpful, douchebag. Read up on basic car modifying techniques. Its an aesthetic and performance oriented improvement.

Mariano
                              Thank you very much!

Originally posted by pwagon717 View Post
                              The ST suspension 55/35, you will not, i mean not be happy with. I had them installed on my cabby, and rear had so much rake it looked like a drag BMW. I hated it and I am still to this day regret buying that kit. I would go coilovers, talk to Elliot (E30trash). He can help you out on the suspension. I can promise you that you will want to cut those springs, cause that is what i did to the rear. Get the 60/60 for the coupe/sedan, they are all the same.

I have seen your images before. I did not realize you had the ST 55/35. I am assuming that your latest post in the member's rides section has the rears cut, but honestly the front looks pretty good to me, and I can deal with the rear a little higher than you have it. Do you have any other complaints about the 55/35's beyond the drag car rake? I've seen coupe 60/60's on verts on e30zone and, to me, it looks like the rear suspension failed.

I will consult E30trash in a couple of years when I go coilovers (I really like the way his car sits), but I think I may go your route for the time being.
                              Last edited by constructor; 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X