I finally started digging into it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally started digging into it

It's going to be a "Rolling Restoration" so I'm starting with the suspension and brakes. As you can somewhat see, the interior has been gutted.

The tires on the back are OE - made in West Germany. All 4 of the tires that came on it were orig. Only 2 held air, though.
    Last edited by Turf1600; 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM.
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Looks like fun, I love restorations.
    ** Lot's of M20 turbo parts for sale.**

Turn key track car.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222066

Comment

looks like nice platform to start

Comment

show me the rust

Comment

Originally posted by bignate948 View Post
          looks like nice platform to start
          It's a very neat, very early car. It's a CA black plate car - last driven in 1981.

Neato-factor specs:

6V electrical system (Generator, 6V stereo, ect)
          Mechanical clutch (no master or slave cylinders - all mechanical linkage)
          Single Circuit brakes
          2 spoke steering wheel
          3 piece dash w/ chrome (only on early 1600s and the 2002ti(not tii))
          Long neck 4.11 diff

It has OE tires - however I suspect it has 104k on the clock.
          "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
            show me the rust
            Oh, and the best part - NO structural rust! the underside is still the orig color - the A panels (behind the front fenders) are BONE DRY, the area around the pedal box is rust free. I have some surface rust on the top of the hood and trunk but not on the bottom. The shock towers and rockers are perfect - as well ar around the heater box and pedals. I've never EVER seen a non restored 2002 with this little rust.

Comment

are you going to restore the lowback seats or go with something else?-
              looking forward to the documentation- subscribed.

Comment

looks like a great start! take your time and do everything how you want!
                Originally posted by blunt
                i called my 17 yo paperboy "sugartits" in a christmas card 3 years ago. he never came back and im not joking.

Comment

hey man good luck to you, I might be joining you with another "rolling restoration" of an '02.

Comment

^^^ I hope so
                    _________

Rep Savannah Crew

Comment

lol, time will tell...

Comment

ooh looks liek a fun project you got goin on there. You gonna repaint it OEM ?

Comment

Originally posted by Philipangoo View Post
                          ooh looks liek a fun project you got goin on there. You gonna repaint it OEM ?
                          Paint is last on my list - and yes it will be all orig. However, my interior is impossible to find in good shape. I think I'm going to stick with all black.

To answer another question - the low back seats and lap belts will remain.

Comment

With OE tires... This could be a museum piece. SO glad to read you're leaving it stock. What a find.

Comment

Originally posted by dillsnick View Post
                              With OE tires... This could be a museum piece. SO glad to read you're leaving it stock. What a find.
                              Yeah - it's going to be somewhat stock.

I've got a deal in the works for the following:

NOS block
                              NOS 1600ti pistons
                              1600ti head
                              1600ti dual sidedrafts w/ aircan and manifolds

All of the above rare parts should boost me up to a whopping 105 HP.

Comment

Working...
                              X