Making it quicker: 4.10s and an E36 rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blalor View Post
    Where'd you get the remanufactured rack? I've used Rack Doctor https://rackdoctor.net a couple of times in the past.
    I got it from FCP Euro.

Comment

I looked at that reman from FCP Euro but the duties and brokerage fees would of made it so expensive.
      The E46 rack I was waiting to get from the wrecker turned out to be a TRW so i didn't go for that one.

I'm trying something i read about; I pulled out the pinion gear and turned it 180 degrees and put it back.
      Now there is no more play at center (still off the car)
      When i had it out, i could see the wear on the pinion gear where it spends most of it's time on rack.

Putting the car back together soon and hoping the steering will feel tighter at center.
      If this works...could be a nice easy fix.

Comment

So the car is back together and after a first test drive it appears the steering feels much better (after the pinion twist)
        the steering has a looser area at center but doesn't feel disconnected anymore....didn't have to constantly correct while driving straight

So far am very pleased with the result.

Comment

What toe setting did you use?

Comment

measuring with parallel strings, 2mm longer from the string at the front edge or the 15" rim

...mmm I just realized that's probably too much toe now.

I should have kept it at 1mm on both sides for a total toe of 2mm...i think?

I had two alignments done recently and the string method was pretty close both times but would be nice to get an expert opinion

Will have to research this and re-do the alignment.... not that i will be driving the car this time of year (it rains a lot in Vancouver)

Comment

if if place a protractor on a straight line and place a ruler at 1.6 degrees...it's actually over 3mm at 7.5 inches
              IOW, I should have over 3mm instead of 2mm at the front of the rim to obtain -1 deg 50' (recommended toe per the Bentley Manual)

Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Just noticed it's total toe in the Bentley...so I think i'm good with the 2mm at the front of the rim
                That's maximum toe though...could be a little less

Comment

Working...
                X