Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first car, a rusty e30... bad idea!? (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beautiful. love the color. might look good with black door handles also.

Comment

Yeaa got me some Red line LSD oil, does anyone have a opinion on these? I've heard good things.
      Also my powerflex diffbush arrived yesterday so it seems like I might have some work ahead of me this weekend :D

Something weird happened yesterday with the car though, as I was driving home from school on the highway going about 60mph, I drove like 20min and slowly a whiny noise started coming from the car, when I put my foot on the brake the noise disappeared until I let go off the brake, it also sounded different depending on how I steered the car.
      The sound increased more and more almost until it became unbearable and then I got off the highway on some slow roads where it stopped entirely after a while.

Today when driving home from school it didn't come back entirely, I just heard some faint sound similar to it.

I'm thinking maybe the wheel bearings are shot? I thought it came from the front but my friend says it sounded more in the back-seat, or could it possibly be my brakes?
      Since maybe some dust particles are lodged between the calliper and brake disc since I hammered on them 3-4 days ago (and also they are of the el'cheapo brand)

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by wolfgangstbd View Post
      you really have to brake hard but its jsut a more agressive clutch kick entry.
      Okay, I'll try it. I have been more and more successful at pulling of heel-toes :)

Originally posted by bmw325csi View Post
      wow. enough said
      Much appreciated =)

Originally posted by aworthybrother View Post
      beautiful. love the color. might look good with black door handles also.
      I dunno, they were black before and I think it somehow clutters it up, I believe it's more cleaner this way and not as "cheap" looking :p

Comment

Update:

I couldn't wait so I swapped the diffs on thursday already, it went kinda smooth as I swapped diffes about 6months ago so no bolts were stuck (like they were the first time...).

Here's some crappy cellphone pics (don't want the DSLR to get greased):

New diff

And it's up

Brake drums painted black

All in all it took 2-3 hours. 1L was not enough to fill the differential, so I got another 1L today, that should be sufficient right?
        I'll fill it up later and see if it pours over.

But man it feels a lot sturdier in corners now, feels like it's actually pushing the car forward and not losing any power.

Now... how hard can you push these diffs? I don't plan on making burnouts , but should they be able to take the trashing of a stock 320 drifting? Other things should give in first right?
        Last edited by solxe; 05-04-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

the diffs. seem pretty strong they just wear out. be ready for drifting to feel completely different know you have lsd haha.

Comment

hey man have u thought about doing a rear disk brake conversion and hydrolic handbrake? would help emencely for drifting. also have u set the front suspention up? heeps of caster will help on tranistions and a realy gripy set of front tyres will also help. good luck with it and ur car looks grouse to mate?

Comment

the diffs. seem pretty strong they just wear out. be ready for drifting to feel completely different know you have lsd haha.
              I don't really understand, you mean that the diff wears out easily, and stops locking both wheels?
              I haven't really tried drifting it yet properly but it really feels different around corners, more compact and steady, I hope I'll be able to kick it out since that is my biggest problem :p

Originally posted by sligh 1 View Post
              hey man have u thought about doing a rear disk brake conversion and hydrolic handbrake? would help emencely for drifting. also have u set the front suspention up? heeps of caster will help on tranistions and a realy gripy set of front tyres will also help. good luck with it and ur car looks grouse to mate?
              Yea, I'll probably get new brakes both front and rear, though that will probably happen during the winter, does anyone know if I can change brakes without changing to 51mm struts? (mine are 48mm atm)

I have heard some bad things about hydraulic handbrakes, do they work well without issues and can you lock them for parking?

I don't know if I can adjust my caster angle? I don't have coilovers, just some lowtec shocks and springs.

Thanks and what do you mean by grouse? Do you mean gross?
              I haven't cleaned the car properly on the underside so that's years of grit and shit so yea... underneath it is pretty dirty, not for long though...
              But I can assure you the diff is as clean as it can be without sandblasting it :p, I thought about painting it but I wanted it up on the car as fast as possible and I hate watching paint dry!

Comment

hey man grouse is auzzie for freaken awsum!!
                you can also get m3 caster bushes will help a little bit. a good drift set up is realy gripy at the front and stiff at the back

with the hydrolic hand brake u can have that and keep your normal handbrake as well

Comment

I don't know if I can adjust my caster angle? I don't have coilovers, just some lowtec shocks and springs.
                  offset control arm bushings

Comment

Update! well not really yet, but I just bought a couple of 9 inch Azev type A:s with a nice tires allround and a nice not overdoing it lip, they're a bit chipped here and there but they'll do for the summer and I'll probably fix them during the winter.

I'll be picking them up tomorrow, so pics will probably come up sometime then.

Originally posted by sligh 1 View Post
                    hey man grouse is auzzie for freaken awsum!!
                    you can also get m3 caster bushes will help a little bit. a good drift set up is realy gripy at the front and stiff at the back

with the hydrolic hand brake u can have that and keep your normal handbrake as well
                    Heh, spanks you very much then :pimp:

All bushes will eventually get changed to powerflex or maybe delrin... :crazy:
                    I'll look into a hydraulic handbrake, but I'll probably not put it in yet, don't have much moneyyz, probably after the summer though =).

Originally posted by Gnarles View Post
                    offset control arm bushings
                    Oh, ok thanks! I'll look into it!

Comment

i wouldnt think that grippy in the front and stiff in the back is a good drift setup.. im in socal and alot of the event here you see alot of ex d1 drivers and formula d guys. they all say best setup is whatever your comfortable with but more traction=good. there are a couple guys on this forum that are good at drifting e30s or even if you want you could probably ask D. blunt his setup. hes pro am and has competed in d1 and formula drift. he has a build thread on socale30 he actually checks out alot. but i think Erich wouldnt mind sharing tips either. hes here on r3v. when you get a chance to really kick your car out just learn how to catch a clutch kick in 1st then when you get it try thinkin about 2nd.

Comment

but they main thing is to learn with what you have dont go out and build a drift car and expect to be good.

Comment

i wouldnt think that grippy in the front and stiff in the back is a good drift setup.. im in socal and alot of the event here you see alot of ex d1 drivers and formula d guys. they all say best setup is whatever your comfortable with but more traction=good. there are a couple guys on this forum that are good at drifting e30s or even if you want you could probably ask D. blunt his setup. hes pro am and has competed in d1 and formula drift. he has a build thread on socale30 he actually checks out alot. but i think Erich wouldnt mind sharing tips either. hes here on r3v. when you get a chance to really kick your car out just learn how to catch a clutch kick in 1st then when you get it try thinkin about 2nd.
                          but they main thing is to learn with what you have dont go out and build a drift car and expect to be good.
                          Maybe a bit less traction on the rear, I hear pro drifters increase the pressure on the rear for "less" grip.

I'll need to get some time down and try some techniques, I haven't had the time yet.

Anyway here's some news! Got me some new rims!
                          Azev Type A's 16x9 both front and rear, with 215/40 Toyo Proxes tires.
                          As I mentioned they're a bit damaged on the edges since the edge is exposed (stretched tire). But they work until I get some cash over and fix them.

They're already fitted on the car but no pics yet, here's a teaser:

My ride got significantly lower

More pics tomorrow!

Comment

howd you get it lower? wheels look sick and for air pressure just play with it and see what you like start hig and go low... start at like 50 or 45psi. make sure ur tires can take it lol

Comment

howd you get it lower? wheels look sick and for air pressure just play with it and see what you like start hig and go low... start at like 50 or 45psi. make sure ur tires can take it lol
                              It got lower because of the tire profile which is 40 instead of 55, also the tires are stretched which probably makes the profile of the tire even more less, now I have to drive sideways out of my garage exit, normally I could drive out straight if I went slow enough, not anymore.

I wonder if the same psi works with stretched tyres... I'll experiment some, and grab some photos of the rims on the car today.

Comment

Here come (many) pics!

They do grind the rear wheelhouse a bit when turning sharp especially if someone sits at the back, so I need to address that soonish and bend it inwards (don't know what it's called in english), otherwise they ride nice =)

Comments are welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X