1984 323i MT1 Bavarian Money Waster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update:

Wiper motor was not dead, the control module in the fuse box is bad. After cleaning the prongs with sand paper and a few jiggles the wipers are working.

Thankfully I tested the new motor before removing the old one and it would not turn on and then it turned on but would not turn off at all with the car on. I only had to remove the cover behind the intake manifold to find out so no harm done.

I realized that I don’t actually have wiper blades so I have to pick up some new ones and then the car is ready for inspection and the road!
    1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
    1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

So at this point the interior is probably 93.5% done with only the things like coat hooks and dome lights remaining. I was able to fix an issue with the sunroof headliner not sliding all the way forward

I also went to get the car inspected now that the wipers were fixed. I failed for no reverse lights… There was nothing hooked up to the connector under the shift boot and when I crawled under the car there were no wires at all. I tested the switch itself and it was not functional at all. I ordered a new wire and reverse switch and hooked them up.

Since my shifter is body mounted I drilled a small hole in the body for the wire. I cut off the connecter and then fed it through and reconnected it to the connector. I put in a small grommet and then heat shrinked the new connectors.

Removing and installing the reverse switch is a real PITA. There is no room to work in the tunnel and to what I had on hand wouldn’t work. On the left didn’t work, the middle would have worked if it was shorter in overall length - could have cut it in half, and the s wrench ended up being the big winner! $17 at harbor freight

Connecter location buried deep in the bowels of the tunnel directly above the fill plug

Old and new

You can barely see it but the new connecter in and wires hooked up then fed up and pulled through the body.

Tested the reverse light and success!

I also installed all the trunk carpeting and the tool kit

Also decided to pull the trigger on a new muffler, went with the magnaflow 1 in 2 out to fill the mtech valence because it looks a little silly now

Finally I got the rain gutter trim installed and gave the car a much needed wash. Still needs to be polished but it really looks good in person

Next up will be the new muffler, an axle boot replacement, valve adjustment, and maybe a trip to the dyno to get some numbers. It’s really running great since I replaced the c101 connecter and it really rips on the road.
      Last edited by 6A LDY; 08-16-2021, 02:48 PM.
      1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Been a while!

A few small car updates and a major life update ---

Got the valve timing adjusted and muffler swapped at Highline Motorsports, guys there are awesome, they do only BMWs (mostly later model stuff). Exhaust looks way better now with the double outlet, its a little quieter but overall has the same sound - which I love.

I did the brakes and replaced the wheel studs with with OEM wheel lugs so I can put the center caps on, and it looks way better now

After that I went on a couple of cruises to break in the brakes --

I knew the passenger side rear outer CV boot was ripped, but it looked like the drivers was wonky as well. I decided to replaced the axles instead of trying to rebuild the outer boots. Not too bad replacing them, and they were pretty rough.

Then went for a cruise to make sure it was all good

Since then I got married at the beginning of October and just got back from the honeymoon in Hawaii. Finally able to get in some nice fall driving. Also realized that every picture I take of the car is always from the same angle since I always take them while walking away...

Excited to get some more driving in and hopefully take some decent pictures. Really need to man up and get the side skirts on!
        1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Hi Patrick,

Congrats on your marriage! All the best to you and your now better half;-)

Great job with the car! I am really glad she ended up in your hands. Looking forward to the finale & pictures…

Best regards,

Alex

Comment

More Pics from the car of the month shoot (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...y#post10036110)!

First time trying to take quality photos, was really pleased with how they came out!

This is after a full wash, clay and polish, then sealed and waxed. I wish everyone could feel how soft and buttery the paint feels.

Should be going into storage soon for the winter, maybe some day the side skirts will go on. It just feels so horrible to think about drilling into this car. Definitely should have done that before paint...

1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Great work! Really like the artistic shots at the end!

Comment

Delicious.

Comment

Spring '22

I have finally run out of things to do besides the side skirts... so its time...

If anyone is looking for the right way to do this - go see Big Al's Revenge... I refused to drill the 6-7 plugs along the rocker to hold the top of the skirt

Mocked up with the bottom clips and some clamps holding it up

Marked the holes for the front clips

Point of no return

Mounted! (Didnt pull the 3M tape since its not going to be enough to hold it )

Can see the gap left by not having the rocker plugs - need to get a thicker tap to pull the skirt against the body, but its fine now temporarily

Also added a younger sibling in December, 2003 Imola Red M3 - plans are to mostly return to stock and enjoy

Definitely excited for 2022, already been out driving as much as possible, looking forward to the weather continuing to get better
                  1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Really enjoyed reading your build , car looks amazing 👏
                    if I may ask where did you get the front seats and also the rear spoiler is that oem ? I can't wait until my car is finished and love the new edition I regret selling my 2004 M3 there such a blast to drive
                    Last edited by Mkcustoms88; 04-17-2022, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkcustoms88 View Post
                      Really enjoyed reading your build , car looks amazing 👏
                      if I may ask where did you get the front seats and also the rear spoiler is that oem ? I can't wait until my car is finished and love the new edition I regret selling my 2004 M3 there such a blast to drive
                      The seats are Recaro LX-VF manufactured in ~2013-2014 time. Someone posted them in the for sale section here on the forum and I offered to come pick them up 12 hours later.

The story I was told was that someone had bought them for a 4x4 type build (I think a 4Runner or Mitsubishi) brand new and just never used them. The guy I bought them from had acquired them and never ended up using them. It was about a 6 hour round trip to get them, but it was worth it. Perfect condition and perfect color for my build.

The spoiler is an OEM M-tech 1 spoiler, sometimes they pop up from time to time, you can also use an M tech spoiler from an E28 which is just about the exact same thing. There are reproductions ones that exist that are 1 piece plastiflex vs the OEM which is 2 pieces - 1 painted panel and a rubber base. I'm sure they would look the same from more than 3 feet away
                      1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write back

Comment

Changed the transmission and diff fluid last night, man what a mess that stuff can make

Trans - Redline MTL (75W80 GL-4)
                          Diff - Redline 75W140 GL-5 with new fill/ drain plugs

No drama with the diff, but man the trans fill plug was on there tight. I had to take the handle off my floor jack to put over my ratchet handle to make a longer breaker bar to get the thing off. I was laying under the car pushing off the tire with my foot and even then it took quite a bit.

The trans fluid was a bit low, which may explain how much of the classic “getrag rattle” I’ve been getting as of late.

Hoping to “break it in” in the next few days and see if there’s any more or less noise / feel

I’m thinking about picking up a set of quick jacks to make life easier (now that there is almost nothing left to do on the car)
                          1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

I ended up removing the sideskirts and replacing the tape on them. I went with thicker 3M automotive tape and that seemed to work much better. It sucked up the gap and the skirts are on there now and looking great.

I gave the car a needed wash after that.

Attended the BMW FCP Euro meet at Lime Rock this past weekend, there were a TON of cars there, really great time overall. I will definitely go back for the Porsche and Mercedes days based on the turn out. Lots of great cars and cool stories

I didn’t realize until the I got home that I only took one picture the whole day

1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Working...
                            X