Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Smokey

Aloha all!

I just bought a 1985 318i that had an engine fire for $100. The pictures from the Craigslist ad were old so I assumed the car was rusty, dirty, rat infested and sitting in the yard rotting away. The original plan was to buy it for the dash and any other salvageable parts. I was pleasantly surprised when the seller pulled the car cover off of the car in his covered parking space. The car is rust free and the body is in great condition (except the fenders which the fire department used to peel open the hood) It has a clean unripped interior with crack free dash and the car is unmolested in original condition with a bunch of new parts. The guy was really cool and I almost wanted him to keep it and fix it up but he has a 91 e30 and he needs the parking space. He's even letting me keep the car there for 10 days while I figure out were I'm going to keep it.

The car is an automatic with a m10 and I plan on keeping it automatic for now (more on that later). I have a couple of questions, is the m10 rebuildable and will a m20 bolt up to the 318 automatic? I still have to figure out which transmission it has. I wouldn't mind having the extra power from the m20 however the m10 would be the easiest route.

sigpic84 325e

The car has the ZF 4HP22 transmission. I'm thinking about replacing the electrical and keeping the m10. I read that the 84/85 325e wiring harness is the same, can anyone confirm that?

sigpic84 325e

Comment

I think the enthusiasts who remove an auto with another auto will be quite small... groundbreaking swap about to go down! Good luck!
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I think the enthusiasts who remove an auto with another auto will be quite small... groundbreaking swap about to go down! Good luck!
        Thanks Simon! I'm not swapping the automatic and I think it will be easier to replace the wiring and leave the m10 in there. My other e30 is a 5 speed and I want to keep this one automatic as a car for friends and family that can't drive a stick. I don't want anyone practicing on my good car
        sigpic84 325e

Comment

Working...
        X