• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Figured I'd post a few in this thread.

I didn't update this main thread, but I did add a link in the first post:

The car is receiving an N52 and 6 speed manual, along with a ton of random updates along the way, and after it's running right.

I wouldn't be doing this swap if I didn't have help from some people making this possible, but I'm very excited to get it running.

Air ride setup has taken a back seat until the car moves under it's own power. Front struts are welded and done.

I've bought and sold some items to offset swap costs.

Also decided to let go of my gorgeous BBS RS's from Paul at EWW to offset swap costs a little bit more.

Still have the euroweaves that are on it and a spicy set of JDM wheels for this thing I'll rotate. Trying to not slip into wheel whoring tendencies.

====================================​

N52 Engine Swap Thread:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...at-have-i-done

Headers are done, and at ceramic coating.

Oil pan is nearly done from fabrication.

Still constantly ordering parts.

====================================

Progress has been happening, not as quickly as I was hoping, but life happens. Lots of other things made E30 lower priority from time to time.

Since summer is here, I've moved things around to get the E30 in the garage, and made everything fit so a temporary workspace can happen as necessary.

We almost bought a house with a 3 car garage with 10 foot ceilings... but the market here is nuts along with rates. Cheaper bills are a good thing for the next few years. Making do.

I'm really trying to document the swap and make it easy for myself when I forget what goes where down the line, so I got these labels off of amazon, a white pack, and a multi-color pack, they say they are automotive grade, we shall see.

I'm actually starting to understand the many different harnesses and modules which is neat.

Helper, helping. She gets bored pretty quickly when she realizes the car isn't taking her somewhere, but that's ok.

====================================

More N52 focused updates will happen in that thread:

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-17-2023, 10:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sledgehammer_01
    replied
    Sub'd love the Touring!

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Ooo excited to see the airlift stuff go on!
    Always thought air suspension would be a good match to a touring.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Thanks for the idea Panici, the car is rust free and very clean underneath.
    I've searched high and low but still haven't found the source - going to hopefully get the carpet up and check the top of the fuel tank this weekend.

=================================

Maintenance parts have been slowly arriving for fuel lines, fuel filter, etc.
    I don't want to put to much money towards the M40b18 since I'd love it gone sooner rather than later...
    ... but figured I should erase the possibility that any of the rubber fuel injector o-rings or lines are the cause in the engine bay or elsewhere.

I should be receiving more replacement parts by Friday, so I'm hoping I can find some time this weekend to search more for the leak and replace anything it could be.

But what's this? Extra struts?

And other stuff has arrived. Full Airlift 3P setup for E30s. Spare struts above are already being cut and airlift struts welded on.

Tank and compressors arrive tomorrow. Hoping to fit it all in the spare tire well to not lose the practicality of this being a touring and all.

Would love to get all of the suspension parts powder-coated and freshened up before they go on the car.

Still need to get new hubs/bearings and trying to decide what else will happen at the same time... buggbrakes? no buggbrakes?

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 08-03-2022, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Beautiful touring, the colour really makes it! Following for updates.

How is the rust situation under the car? Reason I ask is that my EVAP line to the charcoal canister was rusted through. This was my main source of fuel smell when parked inside. It was still available new and pre-bent from BMW in 2018.

FWIW I changed all the hardlines and soft lines, and haven't smelt fuel since. Still using the original EVAP canister and purge valve with my M52 swap and standalone ECU.

Leave a comment:

• twright
    replied
    Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

It is pretty full. I had forgotten about the pump o-ring. I think tourings still have the access panel like most, but I've not checked since owning this. Another area to check and probably just replace to for sure. Thank you.
    I'm sure there is an access panel. I just don't know how to pull up the carpet to get to it.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by twright View Post
    Is the fuel tank full? If it is, I'd be tempted to look at the top of the fuel tank to see if the o'ring is leaking where the fuel pump fits. I know this area is harder to get to on the Touring, but you might have to do it.
    It is pretty full. I had forgotten about the pump o-ring. I think tourings still have the access panel like most, but I've not checked since owning this. Another area to check and probably just replace to for sure. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• twright
    replied
    Is the fuel tank full? If it is, I'd be tempted to look at the top of the fuel tank to see if the o'ring is leaking where the fuel pump fits. I know this area is harder to get to on the Touring, but you might have to do it.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    If it's not too hot, which I'm sure it is.. I'd pinch off the line going to the canister to rule it out.

With a liquid fuel leak, there should be visible evidence of a leak, even after drying from my experience

Edit;

My 2 cents- M20 swap :)
    Haha, yeah it's pretty hot. 110 currently. I could do that, so run it, park it in the garage, and pinch the line with some tool? Not a bad idea.

That's the the thing, I wasn't sure where the leak was (pretty much present since I bought the car) if it sits in a confined area.

After it sitting outside under a cover, what I thought was the only leak showed itself, one of the main lines was leaking.

Replaced all 3, no visible leaks. Remained outside overnight, rechecked for leaks, nothing. Drove it to work and back. Parked in garage, after about an hour gas smell returned and my wife smelled it through the door.

As posted above - I've ordered the injector o-rings, and the rare m40 intake gaskets, and other things - so I'll do those all at once, along with the short 2" lines under the intake. Hoping these solve it.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    If it's not too hot, which I'm sure it is.. I'd pinch off the line going to the canister to rule it out.

With a liquid fuel leak, there should be visible evidence of a leak, even after drying from my experience

Edit;

My 2 cents- M20 swap :)

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Well after being distracted by just driving the Si every day, I sold it to not stretch my time between 3 cars for myself, down to just two now. E30 and LX.

===========================

Spreadsheet, a little bit of service booklet + wishlist.

===========================
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-17-2023, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Glaede
    replied
    I don't have any experience with the hubs Timm sells, but I do have these myself:

Wheel Hub Set for BMW E30 Conversion Kit Hole Circle conversion from 4x100 to 5x120 Plug & Play | eBay

I haven't tested them yet since my car is in a million parts right now (rust repairs and respray). But, with that said, I'm going to run E30 M3 280 mm brake discs in the front with Ford Focus calipers, which is almost bolt on. Bolt pattern is nearly identical.
    Mapco even produces a 5x120 brake disc now, så you can just run the stock E30 caliper.

Above hub is 5x120 only and not as sketchy as the hubs with both patterns.

@e30797 at instragram is running with the Mapco hubs.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    Cross posting (5 Lug Thread Here)

==============================================

Decided against 5-Lug.

Staying 4-Lug for the considerable future.

==============================================
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-17-2023, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DEV0 E30
    replied
    ==============================

Not really an update, more notes mostly for myself.

==============================

Maintenance:

So the car has a faint gas smell, only really exists when in the garage/sits in confined space, and it slowly builds. I think maybe it's the evap cannister as I can't find any leaks anywhere. It's more present under the hood.

No visible leak/smell near fuel filter (underneath) or smells inside of car.

The lines are likely all nearly 30 years old, so going to start looking for replacements and do some "while I'm in there" sort of replacements.

Someday this thing will get an engine swap, but for now until I have more of a shop/space for that, just going to keep the engine as tidy as I can within reason. I don't want to make this thing sit and not be able to enjoy it.

==================

Lights:

I was able to snag an already modified set of Euro Hella's from Gabe (https://www.esgprints.com/) - so I'll actually be able to see at night, which is nice.

So my OE Euro Bosch will be backups, and got a replacement bosch low to replace the broken one.

Both sets will be getting ppf'd with 10mil from my local PPF/Ceramic detail guy who did the whole front end of my FK8. I don't want another broken light.

May also pick up a smoked set, then I'm done buying lights.

==================

Suspension:

Still at a cross roads, I'm either going 5 lug or staying 4 lug.

This is silly, but suspension will likely be built around the wheels.

Still heavily considering and likely going air-ride.

Leaning towards staying 4 lug since these euro weaves are too nice and I don't need bugg brakes really until the engine swap happens.

So grabbing a baller set of 16s or 17s depending on price and availability may be the ticket, with the stock 15s as the 2nd set.

I'd like better braking performance, it has new brakes (rotors/pads) but may look at refurbishment in this area or other options.

==================

Interior:

Current interior is cloth seats, comfort front, black door panels.

Also not sure what I want to do here, have a lead on a design edition, but shipping is costly.

Got a few local possibilities to get sport seat "cores" so to speak for said design edition interior

... but it may end up being a bit more than I'd like to spend to get sports, get the design edition, and have it all done.

I could just get sport fronts or something else (aftermarket) for the front to tie it into the current interior.

Tint --- Looking at something light but definitely ceramic for UV and less heat getting in.

==================

Stereo:

At least one of the speakers has a bad / fading connection, may upgrade all.

Headunit/Stereo/Deck - Older aftermarket tape unit. I like the idea of one of the BMW OE decks with bluetooth, that would satisfy my needs. Less fancy, more OE, less chance of someone seeing something they want to break a window for.

I don't need subs, would rather just have good SQ and mids etc.

==================

Exterior:

She has some areas that need attention, I've given her a decent wash, and is now protected under a cover or in the garage.

I'd like to get some maintenance and suspension done then I'll be looking at getting some of the paint areas addressed.

There is a chance we will build onto current house, with bigger garage. If that happens all of the vehicles could be safe in a garage space which would be nice, so I'd like to hold off on paint work until we decide on this.
    Last edited by DEV0 E30; 07-14-2022, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Is that the same guy who used to sell moriomoto adapters on here?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X