Interesting day..
so, I went to the machine shop after work to give them my replacement crank cap. Mr. Mancini, the owner of the shop, can only be described as a hard-ass old man, with no time or patience for bullshit, but truly a good man.
- he goes off on a rant explaining to me that you can't just use a cap out of any block - how theyre machined and normally way off.
- then he asks me to place the cap on the block to show me, he tightens it down, and torques it, then asks me to see if i can feel the seam inbetween the block and cap
-me:"I can't really feel it, I'm no expert though."
-him:"holy shit. Do you play the lottery son? Because you should. I've never seen one fit that well."
We tested the other 3 that I had brought in to see which was the closest, and sure enough, the first one was .0035'' off. I was still going to have to get a line bore though.. damn. UNTIL I got home and checked my e-mail. The guy who has been dickin me over for the past 3 weeks decided to own up and (allegedly) mailed my cap today! SO no cap or line bore necessary after all! AND my raceland headers came in today too! I've read mixed reviews on here about them, but the set I got looks pretty spiffy to me :D
I just thought that this was a funny example of german engineering at its finest - a crank cap, from a different engine, in a different series car, manufactured in a different year, is still within .0035'' after both engines have gone over 100,000 miles! kinda cool
Project 318 g24v college budget :)
Collapse
X
-
wooo - went back today, pulled off 3 more crank caps, Just in case... haha annnnd I stumbled upon a brake booster! yes!Leave a comment:
-
sawweeeeet. a trip to the junkyard today proved useful - got an e34 throttle cable, and met a guy there who's local and has actually done a few e30m50 swaps, told him to check out r3v. He pointed me over to an unassuming e34 in the corner of the yard that he had pulled the oilpan off of, low and behold I found my crank caps -(the guy who sold me the motor dicked me and only gave e 6 of 7). its been a good day! :DLeave a comment:
-
-
another thought - is my stock fuel pump going to be sufficient atm for an m50? (m42 fuel pump)Leave a comment:
-
-
Yeah it just changes the signal.
They look like this and are on the lower front right of the cluster behind the trim piece.

Leave a comment:
-
Whoops, yes - already have the e36 mounting arms, and the e34 oil pan, pickup, dip-stick and tube.
- Ill make my own wiring adapter
- and what exactly does the coading plug do/look like? (convert the signal for the tach? or what?)
-e38 motor mounts- e28 mounts with e36 mounting arms
-325i gauge cluster- all you need is the coading plug.
And for the adaptor you should just make your own unless the other guy is doing it for free. It took me an hour to look up the wireing chart and then sit down and hook the wires together. It super easy once you start.
And I assum you already have the E34 oil pan and stuff.Leave a comment:
-
-e38 motor mounts- e28 mounts with e36 mounting arms
-325i gauge cluster- all you need is the coading plug.
And for the adaptor you should just make your own unless the other guy is doing it for free. It took me an hour to look up the wireing chart and then sit down and hook the wires together. It super easy once you start.
And I assum you already have the E34 oil pan and stuff.Leave a comment:
-
Project 318 g24v college budget :)
UPDATES START PAGE 6
Alright so the real work is starting this weekend, here is a list so far of what I have -
HAVE:
-1991 318i
-m50 NV (block bead blasted and honed, head bead blasted and planed, -valves lapped)
-ecu
-wiring harness
-e38 motor mounts
-ebay coilover set up
-z3 shifter
-m20 325e single mass flywheel
-m20 sachs style clutch/pressure plate
-m20 clutch release bearing
-raceland headers
-All new seals/gaskets/ new oil filter
-using the radiator from the 318
-getrag 240, 4.10 open diff
-e34 oil pan/pickip/dipstick/tube
-e36 motor mount arms
-e34 throttle cable
-735i brake booster with master cylinder (saweet junkyard find)
-Vibrant Muffler :)
STILL NEED:
-e36 radiator hoses
-MAF
-muffler/exhaust set up
-m20 starter
-driveshaft
- various nuts/bolts/clips/dowels - theres an order in right now to ecs... now we play the waiting game
- more hours in the day
- more money in my bank account
- more beer in my fridge (at least I can take care of 1/3)
A) I'm aware that with the 4.10 its going to go like a bat out of hell, then top out at 110. I'm ok with it, its only until the spring.
B)I'm planning on ordering a wiring harness adapter from a member on here to make my job easier, I need to identify which 'pigtails' I need to ship to him.
C) Is there anything else that I've overlooked or that isn't on this list?Tags: None

Leave a comment: