dead 325is... NOT FOR LONG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead 325is... NOT FOR LONG

This is my first ever project car, my second car, second e30, and I'm only 16. I think I'm doing pretty well... I picked up this 325is on Wed. the 3rd of June for $750 with a broken timing belt and no service records.

It's never been wrecked, though not original paint, it still looks ok. The body could be better, but it could also be MUCH worse. There's some ugly pin striping and there were a lot of 'Fuck this' and 'Fuck that' stickers on the back window. I finally started in on it this morning at 6 o'clock and here's what I have done/found:

The interior is pretty all right, driver's seat has two rips in the bottom, tastefully covered by the PO with duct tape. Also it has a three inch tear in the bolster.

The headliner has a few little blemishes, and the rest is pretty good.

I took off the valve cover to find broken rocker arms and a pretty unhappy head.

I also found some hard black stuff in the intake manifold. Wussat?!

The tops of pistons one and two took a pretty good hit, but not as bad as some people here have shown.

SO, plans for the car are as follows:

Engine swap. I've got a Want To Buy ad on here stating I want either another m20 or an m50. BUT, I did go swing by the pick 'n pull to see what they have. They happen to have TWO m30b35's, one in an e34. I MIGHT go that route, I WANT to go that route, I'll probably know tomorrow. Either way, a five speed is going into it. While this car is out of commission, I'll continue driving this 'vert.

I'm unsure as to what to do once this car starts running, I'll probably sell the red one.

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
    sigpic<< wrecked

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
    I'm unsure as to what to do once this car starts running, I'll probably sell the red one.
    which red one?...they're both red:|
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

do the m30. you wont be as happy with the m50 i think.
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
        which red one?...they're both red:|
        That's the point. I'm going to sell a red one, I'm undecided as to which I will sell, there are, and will be pros and cons of both.

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
        do the m30. you wont be as happy with the m50 i think.
        I think I'm going to do that because there's one in an e34 (correct oil pan) at the junk yard.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

nobody like DB verts... Sell the vert...

Oh btw, nice car... I definately like the red one.

Comment

Originally posted by e30slut View Post

It's called a bumper swap.

And once again, they're BOTH red. You either like the db or the pb e30.
            M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Devier View Post
              It's called a bumper swap.

And once again, they're BOTH red. You either like the db or the pb e30.
              it's called...... wait... who gives a fuck?

and once again, THAT WAS THE POINT! they are both very nice cars....

but ummm, again OP... Very nice red E30's

Comment

Originally posted by e30slut View Post

No goats in this here thread, sorry! If I end up able to, I'm going to keep both. I just got the best BMW tool evar, in the form of a Bentley Manual. Too bad I have nothing else I can do at the moment. M20 is out and I'm about to pull the trigger on an m30 swap. The guy that would help me doesn't think I should do an m30 swap, so I'll just do it on my own!

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

My girlfriend bought me my e30 for a graduation gift and it had a broken timing belt/fucked cylinder head. I thought I would have to replace the engine, but I just had the head completely rebuilt and threw it on with some basic maintenance parts like water pump, timing belt, tensioner, cap, rotor etc.

I was actually in a very similar situation that you are. This was the first car I'd ever worked on (never even changed the oil) and I learned everything I know about the car by just reading and tearing shit apart. I now feel I can fix anything.

Good luck. I don't know if you know how fast the motor was spinning when the belt went, but if it was relatively low I would just throw a used head on it and see if that solves your problems. That is what I did with mine and it runs great. Maybe do a leakdown and/or compression test after the head is on to be sure there is nothing serious. Also, make sure you've got proper oil pressure.

OR just put an m30 in it if you've got the cash on hand and time to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                    My girlfriend bought me my e30 for a graduation gift and it had a broken timing belt/fucked cylinder head. I thought I would have to replace the engine, but I just had the head completely rebuilt and threw it on with some basic maintenance parts like water pump, timing belt, tensioner, cap, rotor etc.

I was actually in a very similar situation that you are. This was the first car I'd ever worked on (never even changed the oil) and I learned everything I know about the car by just reading and tearing shit apart. I now feel I can fix anything.

Good luck. I don't know if you know how fast the motor was spinning when the belt went, but if it was relatively low I would just throw a used head on it and see if that solves your problems. That is what I did with mine and it runs great. Maybe do a leakdown and/or compression test after the head is on to be sure there is nothing serious. Also, make sure you've got proper oil pressure.

Really, the original plan was to get a new head, rebuild it, and throw it on, but this is a summer-long project and I got my parents to support it by saying I was going to learn a lot about these cars and that's what I really really wanted to do. I can learn more if I do an engine swap. The more I learn, the more worth-it it is.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post

same here

Comment

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
                        Really, the original plan was to get a new head, rebuild it, and throw it on, but this is a summer-long project and I got my parents to support it by saying I was going to learn a lot about these cars and that's what I really really wanted to do. I can learn more if I do an engine swap. The more I learn, the more worth-it it is.
                        You're going to learn a lot either way, it's just which route you choose to go. I'm not a lot older than you but I can tell you from experience the engine swap will cost you way more in time and money - especially money. Swapping heads on the m20 would just be cheaper and will allow you to spend money on other cool stuff for the car.

Just my .02

Comment

Diving board cabrios are the best.

Easiest swap to the best e30. Late model bumpers with early model arches and small awesome tails.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by Asbradley21 View Post
                            Diving board cabrios are the best.

Easiest swap to the best e30. Late model bumpers with early model arches and small awesome tails.
                            BUY IT! I might be swinging by Hartselle in July! Update hopefully coming this weekend.

sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

....Why? Hartselle sucks.

How much you want for it? (not that I have any money really...)

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Working...
                              X