Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1989 911 Project (Sorry, non-E30, non-BMW content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1989 911 Project (Sorry, non-E30, non-BMW content)

I always felt bad that I never documented my E30 transformation, so I am going to document my 1989 Porsche 911 project here. I apologize for taking up space here with a non-E30, non-BMW project, but thought that some of you may be interested 911's.

History:

The car is a 1989 911 Silver Anniversary Edition that my father bought new in January of 1990. It currently has 34,500 miles on it, but has been getting a bit beat up over the past few years and has not received the kind of care that it should.

On Fathers Day of this year, he told that the car would keep getting destroyed if he brought it back to Albany with him. He wanted me to have it to give it the same kind of love I give my E30. I was floored.

Pics from that day:

Shit, what a great father's day it must've been!

Have you made a purchase from www.blunttech.com recently?
    sigpic<< wrecked

Comment

My Father did take it back home with him that weekend, but came back a month later to drop the car off.

Pics from that day:

Comment

Originally posted by Red88 View Post
        Shit, what a great father's day it must've been!
        Yes, and I am not yet a father.

Comment

Nice Car! I had a Euro 81' 911sc for a few years (just thinking about that car puts a smile on my face)

I ended up selling it to fund the down payment on my house, it turns out the house isn't as fun to work on, or as fast as the 911....oh well!

Enjoy the new ride.

Comment

This new thread has delighted me.
            Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

NICE! What are your plans that that beauty?
              BMW Headlights ::

Comment

So these are the car's current issues:

A contractor dropped a window on the driver side front fender back in 1990. It was repaired, but the paint is not quite rite and the gas flap fit is poor.

The car was driven of the road a few years back and the front valence was poorly repaired.

The driver side rear quarter panel was backed into a yellow bollard.

The car has been in and out of storage in the New York countryside where mice called the trunk home. The trunk carpet was destroyed, and the trunk was filled with nests and feces.

The rear aluminum bumper shows some corrosion even though the car saw only 34.5K miles.

The car was driven through yellow road paint which sprayed the driver side front fender well and the underside of the rear bumper.

A contractor changed the battery gouging the finish on the gas tank while he was at it.

There some corrosion in the battery tray.

The interior needs a good cleaning and conditioning.

Comment

The plans are in progress and I have many photos and descriptions to post to get us to where we are today, but my wife is on the way home, so I will have to give you the abridged version of the plans for now.

fix dent in quarter
                  realign gas flap
                  restore trunk and gas tank to like new condition
                  recreate trunk carpet
                  RUF Yellowbird style front and rear bumpers (hate the bulky impact bumpers)
                  lower ride height
                  convert stock single exhaust to dual for more flow and sound
                  eventually get turbo spec 16x7 and 16x9 color matched fuchs
                  power wash undercarriage
                  clean and condition interior

Comment

The RUF bumpers look really good.
                    My first thought when I saw the rear was "hmmm, that exhaust has got to change". You're already 1 step ahead. ;)

When it's complete I think you'll need to take it for a spin through the White Mountains after picking it up.... maybe with a chase car in the form of an E30 M3.

-Chris
                    Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                      The RUF bumpers look really good.
                      My first thought when I saw the rear was "hmmm, that exhaust has got to change". You're already 1 step ahead. ;)

When it's complete I think you'll need to take it for a spin through the White Mountains after picking it up.... maybe with a chase car in the form of an E30 M3.

-Chris
                      Chris, thanks and absolutely! That would be a blast.

Tell me your thoughts on the exhaust. I went back and forth for a few days with Mario discussing options. Probably drove him a bit crazy with my indecision.

Comment

yay ep3!

but i guess the porsche is cool...
                        318is fund, $0.

Comment

Originally posted by schwannman View Post
                          yay ep3!

but i guess the porsche is cool...
                          Thanks, the EP3 will get some work next (nothing major), but down the line a bit. I was planning on selling it but like it too much. It is stock right now.

Comment

you should drop an a2 in, it's not too major...
                            318is fund, $0.

Comment

It is my daily so I am fine with the A3. I am thinking just suspension, wheels, and exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                              X