No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic project, can't Imagine the feeling of success.SO Fucking clean.

Did you order your lines from the dealer? I REALLLY Need to do my lines, did you have to drop the tank or anything?
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Looks awesome! The bottlecaps look great Great on it as well!
      Tim.

Comment

<3
        Are Three Vee

Dad Spec

Comment

Epic. That was quite a journey man. Really enjoyed all of the work you've done... it has finally paid off!!
          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Did you order your lines from the dealer? I REALLLY Need to do my lines, did you have to drop the tank or anything?
            Thanks!
            You have to drop the tank for the one fuel vent line. The feed and return lines can be done w/out dropping anything. To do the brake line properly, I’m pretty sure the tank OR the subframe should be dropped.

At first – I ordered just the brake line from a dealer – thinking that’s the only line I’d replace. Once I determined the other lines should be replaced as well, I generated a nice Blunt Tech order along with other misc hardware and the is lip..

Originally posted by tg318is
            Looks awesome! The bottlecaps look great Great on it as well!
            Thanks!
            Yeah – once I determined I would have to run the caps – I went into ‘damage control’ mode by blacking them, spacing the rears, and fresh roundel emblems. Cosmetically – I’m pretty happy with results..
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Your attention to detail is great, top notch work.
              How much did that new fuel tank set you back? :P

Comment

Thanks man.
                Got lucky on the tank.
                It had been installed by a pior owner at some point..

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                  Your attention to detail is great, top notch work.
                  How much did that new fuel tank set you back? :P
                  Rockauto has aftermarket tanks for about 160-180. I bought mine from there... no problems, only catch is that it doesn't have a screw in the bottom of the tank if you ever want to completely drain it. Otherwise, you'll have to siphon it out.
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                    Then I took a break and made a ground strap for the engine head. It's purpose was to prevent electrolysis from deteriorating mating surfaces.

First of all, fantastic work and write-up. You ought to submit this as a story to Bimmer or Roundel!

Second - can you provide more details on the ground strap and the grounding configuration (e.g. valve cover bolt to chassis?)

Thanks!

-D

Comment

Table of Contents post updated.

Originally posted by Donkeyshins
                      First of all, fantastic work and write-up. You ought to submit this as a story to Bimmer or Roundel!

Second - can you provide more details on the ground strap and the grounding configuration (e.g. valve cover bolt to chassis?)
                      Thank you for the kind words D.

Regarding the ground strap – pretty straight-forward. I dug through my box of extra stereo wire and only found that red/power wire that was long enough. Off the top of my head – I want to say it was 8 gauge. Shrink wrap tubing was used on much of it just so there wasn’t a red wire that jumped out at you in the engine bay. I attached one end to the head using one of the bolts that fastens the engine hanger on (where you’d hook a chain on if one were to pull the motor) – ran it under the intake system – and attached it to the chassis on the driver’s side strut tower. Pretty sure it was on the bolt that holds the throttle cable in place.

Comment

wow such an in depth write up, i love it. read everything and enjoyed it all. congrats to you sir, well done

Comment

wow .... Simon, all my hats come off. No E30 yet, but yours is quite likely the pinnacle to hold in the highest esteem.

Comment

Damn Simon, you're doing work. I love reading this when I should be in physics... lol.

Car looks so much better with the black trim. And thanks for reminding me to replace my fuel lines!
                            -Alex

Comment

YAY !!

50K hits !
                              Wow - thanks guys !!

Comment

Simon, publish this as a book. Thank you.
                                -Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X