No announcement yet.

Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, you never fail to amaze. I love your threads.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    ---------------------------------
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

^Don't know why... but that makes me feel better about how long it takes me to do anything on the 4 cars.

Excellent work as always and beautiful documentation. This should help your resale value should you ever decide to sell the car... though I don't see how you could after all the hard work.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Bidding starts at $40K
        lol
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

MMM nice works. So clean. Did you use and gasket sealer between the block and timing case I put a very fine layer of sealer just incase didn't want to have to pull it off again to fix it. LOL
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo
            MMM nice works. So clean. Did you use and gasket sealer between the block and timing case I put a very fine layer of sealer just incase didn't want to have to pull it off again to fix it. LOL
            Thanks.

Great question. I did a bunch of digging on dry vs sealers. It was frustrating.

It’d be like:
            “I’ve installed hundreds of gaskets dry with no problems.”
            or
            “I’ve installed hundreds of gaskets using sealer with no problems.”

In the end, intake, head, rubber profile, and thermostat gaskets were installed ‘dry’. A thin coat of copper spray adhesive/sealer was used on everything else. Baby dabs of black RTV at recommended corners/juctions. I also let engine sit w/out adding oil for 2 days.

I kept coming back to thought of: “If all the gaskets were installed dry at the factory – and ALL of them are leaking – then let’s try something else.”
            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Nothing short of amazing. Period.

Comment

I used to think you were a screwball and I scoffed at you. Now I know you're a screwball but I also think you're awesome. I've done my fair share of wrenching, some haphazardly and some meticulous, but you take it to another level.

As you wrench more and more you learn what jobs you have to be careful on and what you can rush through. Clearly this car means a lot to you and all jobs are the careful ones, and I respect that. I think we're similar in that I generally plan things and work them out in my head over and over again before I attack. But when I attack I do it hard and fast :)

Can't wait for next update, keep it up brotha.

Haha...last thing to add. Like all of us I feel like E30's are special. But if you go to any car specific forum they think their cars are special too. But in reality most of them suck and their cars suck too. Threads like this prove that e30 owners don't suck, so chances are our choice of cars doesn't suck either. I'd venture a guess that 10% of this much care has never been taken to rebuild a civic or cavalier or sentra. I heart my E30 too, so I get it.

Comment

Awesome as usual.

Have you thought about ditching the clutch fan and shroud and replace with an electric in front of the rad? Would open up the bay even more.

Are you going to leave the bumper trim red? Just curious, thats all. I notice the side trim is still black.
                  turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                  Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

I'm sad that I have no more reading to do this morning. I still have some coffee left. This has been an epic thread so far, and I feel like I've just watched a great movie or read an amazing book. I really LOL'd at the phone extractor, seemingly thrown in to see who's really reading everything. :D

Good luck on your interview, but if you don't get a job right now, frankly, I look forward to more updates. I have no idea what level of employment you're looking at, but a BMW dealership would be *very* lucky to have you as a senior service adviser. Your attention to detail would match the level of service they are supposed to have, but don't.

Comment

Well done! This is an inspiration for sure, can't wait to see what you've got planned next.
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Regarding sealants, BMW e30 factory manual states to use certain types of sealants but only in corners and junctions regarding the m42. Probably the same with other engines.
                        Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                        BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                          Nothing short of amazing. Period.
                          This.

Not only is what you're doing GREAT, but it's the epitome of how things should be done. And you're creating an absolutely fantastic reference guide for people who just want to know more about their E30 and how it can be taken apart and put together.

You should make a sweet PDF and Sticky that beast on R3V.
                          The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Awesome work on the corroded aluminum! And the rear wheel bearings... I love this thread.
                            '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Holy fuck man. You're a monster when it comes to details. I love it.
                              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Fantastic update. I will be referencing it for my M42 rebuild for the E21. I might hace to steal another idea from you with that coil cover. I have some ideas on that.

Good luck on resolving the noise in the motor. I hope its something simple and easy to fix given the effort you put forth so far.
                                -Josh

Check out my build thread...
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=131055

Need parts? Support the community!

http://www.gutenparts.com

http://www.blunttech.com

Comment

Working...
                                X