Spaz's 1991 325is Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spaz's 1991 325is Project

Well I’ve been around the e30 scene for a long time now, never really posted a build thread, but I finally took it upon myself to create one now since I’ve finally completed one of my major goals for this e30…
    If you knew me from before I’ve had three e30’s. 1986 325e, 1989 325is which were both lost in collisions caused by the other party. Now I have my alpine white 1990 325is.
    So let’s get down to business here. All the work was done myself; I was a trade mechanic up until a couple years ago where an accident changed that, so now it’s a hobby!

Started it out like this.

Then I got my H&R Races + Bilstien Sports mounted, with Rogue Engineering RSM’s (These are the best RSM I’ve ever laid my eyes on.) Also put back on my OZ Superleggaz from my previous black car.

Not much happened in the years just regular maintenance, Did a complete brake overhaul with powder coated calipers, solid sliders and stainless lines, and also EBAY Cross drilled rotors, surprisingly these things have not warped and don’t cause me any shimmy, I’m more then impressed and won’t hesitate to purchase them again.

Painted my lip flat black to add some contrast, and custom made some clear side markers.

And now for the fun stuff…Broke a rocker arm mid 2009, pulled it all a part “refreshed” the head, put a 272 Cam in and called it a day. Well that didn’t work so well in the end, had some problems.

So I did what any man in the right mind would do!

Secured an s52 for a motor swap!!! This has been my goal since the dawn of time finally my finances and time allowed me to complete this move.
    With the help of Josh from Bavarian Auto Recycling in Cali got a smoking deal on a complete setup with a warranty and all, he was more than helpful providing everything I needed. I’d recommend anyone to speak with him.
    Ok moving on!

So prepped the motor properly, (The front one is mine, got a second for another swap in the back :) )

After a quick Inspection and securing the oil pump nut the E34 m50 Oil Pan went on.

Quick Look at the Head as well, all necessary gaskets were replaced along the way.

Tapped the head for the coolant temp sensor, modified the obd1 wiring harness holder so it’d fit with the obd2 coolant pipe (I recommend retaining the coolant for anyone doing swaps. I might post a little myth debunk thread later on.) All the sensors were installed at this time as well.

SS Rep Headers arrived, I was going to wrap them but I didn’t have time so I skipped it.

Now the rest of the sensors and harness was installed, so it was ready for an easy drop in.
    So after the motor was prepped, I headed to my buddies shop to do the install. I could’ve done it in my townhouse, but I got a whiner resident with no life living across from me.

Here I am after I got the motor pulled. (Sorry for the lack of exciting install photos, I did it myself so I was working hard and not taking photos)

Porsche 944 Booster Install (I have no fking idea why anyone would do it differently, this thing fits perfect.)

S52 IN. (Again I’m Sorry for the lack of exciting install photos!)

Coil Packs and Shiny Head shot here.

Intake Manifold Install, Power Steering was already dealt with.

Couple S52 Myths Debunked here, the e36 s52 OR the E30 m20 late expansion tank hose fits perfectly with the s52 coolant pipe. Also the Charcoal Canister Easily fits if you remove the bracket and flip it 180 thereby moving the canister closer to the firewall and higher up. No reason to delete it tbh.

It’s getting there! MMM wires.

Underside Clearance, I used no shims, didn’t remove the heat shield from the motor mount. I’ve driven this car for 2 months now, and no vibrations. The only place it was a little close was the floor pan, but I adjusted it with a little bending of the down pipes. Also I added treehouse eyeball arms for more clearance and better road feel; I absolutely love these now.
    I used my G260, I’m horrible at welding so my friend fabricated an m20 Trans brace and it came out amazing. Sadly no pictures of that just yet.

Here is the motor just prior to the first fire up. You can see the modified wiring harness using the m20 c101 connector. As well as my fix for the OBD2 valve cover when using the OBD 1 PCV system.

And my nifty pin removal tool (read about adding the c101 connector to you harness here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=154876 )

Here is the e30 body grommet installed over the obd1 wiring harness.

I drove around for a couple weeks with just a stock e34m50 chip in my 413 dme, the engine was so-so at best. But it did pass the emissions testing we have here in Vancouver. But then I got my TRM and what an insane difference. I love this car.

And my Completed Swap thus far. I just need to tidy up a couple things.

So currently this motor is setup like this:
    • 1999 S52B32
    • OBD1 M50 Manifold, Stock MAF
    • OBD1 Wiring Modified using c101 on the engine side. Running the 413DME using a TRM tune.
    • Porchse ATE 944 Brake Booster
    • G260 with Stock m20 clutch/p.p. and flywheel
    • SS EBay Replica Headers
    • Stock M20 Exhaust (I have e36 m3 exhaust waiting to be installed)

As for reasons going with the G260, I wanted to retain the stock driveshaft and clutch (seeing as I just replaced this less than a year ago.) But also with plans to swap to a different transmission I wanted to retain the favorable 3.73 gearing, where with an e36 trans I’d been swapping that as well.

Oh and there is absolutely no rasp from this exhaust setup, and I know for a fact I won’t have any when I swap over to the s52 obd1 exhaust.
    The swap took me a total of 30-40 hrs, doing it myself over a week on evenings: D

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the swap; I’d be more than willing to help.

The s52 wakes up this chassis like no other, I’ve been having so much fun with this thing lately, one of the best investments you could make.

Thanks for looking guys, I hope you enjoyed this thread; I’ll be continuing to update the thread as I go along with additional modifications.

-Cam
    Last edited by Spaz; 01-30-2010, 02:08 PM.
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

-great write up
    -good job dispelling certain myths about the 24v swaps

-that 2nd s52 looks mighty dirty in that pic, what's it being used for? :shock::shock:

I'd like to add that he completed de swap about a weeks time.
    Last edited by onaquest; 01-29-2010, 01:54 PM.
    http://bbswheels.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice work, I remember your black car with the superleggas from way back. I never understood why more people didn't/ don't run those.

Comment

+1 for bav auto recycling!
        ***Affordable Powder Coating Here:***
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=1#post2074588
        *** Bay Area/NorCal Fender Rolling Here: ***
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...29#post1989029

***If you've ever bought anything from/dealt with me please add feedback!!:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=137611***

Thank You!

Comment

Looks good.
          sigpic

Comment

Good writeup. Looks good.

I just figured out the Charcoal Filter bracket thing myself while messing around with my swap the other night...ahh the simple things.

Question: How the hell did you get the firewall plug over the ECU plug? Did you end up cutting and re-wiring?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys...

Originally posted by herlsy View Post

Question: How the hell did you get the firewall plug over the ECU plug? Did you end up cutting and re-wiring?
              Just partially disassemble the connector, and use some lube of some sort on the grommet and it slides over fairly easy. I'd put some electrical tape on the connection face first to prevent any lube getting on the contacts.

-Cam
              Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Nice dude! I loved your old schwarz car. excellent work!

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
                  Thanks for all the comments guys...

Just partially disassemble the connector, and use some lube of some sort on the grommet and it slides over fairly easy. I'd put some electrical tape on the connection face first to prevent any lube getting on the contacts.

-Cam
                  Ahh ok, so take some parts off the connector but not the actual part containing the pins? I'll give it a try today and see how it goes. Cheers!

Comment

nice work:pimp:

-
                    Project
                    Parts for Sale
                    Feedback
                    YouTube Channel

Comment

i love the wheels...

Comment

Stay tuned a couple of bigger updates are coming :D
                        Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

.........than what happened?
                          87 E30 Vert Alpine DD May-Sept
                          04 E65
                          06 Denali XL
                          GMC RV- Fall weekends
                          Larson Boat-Summer Weekends
                          84 E30 318 project/part/sell?
                          91 318is parted- some parts left
                          Sold:(
                          98 E39 Sport
                          97 E38
                          95 525i
                          95 E34
                          87 524td
                          87 535is
                          (OO=ll=OO) "E30 owners seem to have wheels like some women have shoes"

Comment

its taking longer then expected sadly :( and now the car won't make the e30 picnic sadly!
                            Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Nice Swap man. I'm super jealous.
                              -Nick
                              Originally posted by 87e30
                              First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Working...
                              X