Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving another abused dog (super eta content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving another abused dog (super eta content)

Saw this on craigslist, super eta with a blown transmission. The guy wanted a "couple hundo" for it. Me, thinking in JasonC "law of averages" terms, saw an opportunity. So I went to go see it with $300 in my pocket. The motor ran strong, really smooth save for very ticky valves, probably fixed with some thicker oil and a valve adjustment, the trans was definitely blown. He kept on saying that when he got it it wouldn't go into 6th, so he knew something was up. I told him it was a 5 speed and he didn't believe me, since there was a UUC-style knob with a 6 speed pattern on the car. Well, no wonder the damn thing is blown.

Turns out he lives like a block away. We pushed the car onto the street, found a parking spot and left it. For those mighty few of you following my build thread might remember that I've got an M50 early model sedan with (gasp) a blown transmission, so why did I go for another car with the same problem? Well, when I stumble upon my capacity for making logical decisions I'll let you know.

But seriously, if I can swap a transmission alone on the street, I can do it again a week later. Plan is, trans, then give it the once-over/tune up and take it to get smogged. It'll sit there on the street until I get to it in a few weeks.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the paint yet, but new fender, hood, DB surround, grille, and... well yeah, wow.

I'm so happy you bought this it hurts.
    Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Holy shit that paint is bad ass. Good luck, seems like a nice buy. Will this be your daily, or the other?

Comment

Diggin the 6 speed. Very rare. I believe the 6 speeds came with the v6's also.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by motorsports_3 View Post
          Holy shit that paint is bad ass. Good luck, seems like a nice buy. Will this be your daily, or the other?
          Probably the semi-daily, might teach a person or two to drive with it. But first, it needs a trans and it needs to pass smog. The CEL is off and surprisingly, only one check panel light is illuminated (brake lights) but he could have pulled the CEL bulb, I didn't check it that thoroughly.

Really, I just never got to do what I wanted to do with an M20, and having an extra running car means that when one car is down for whatever reason, the other will most likely still be running.

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
          Yeah, too bad that rare 6 speed trans is toast, but I hear that shift pattern actually gives your transmission an extra gear, so it may not all be bad.

Comment

You should spray that hood roof and trunk with some black paint just to cover it up while it sits... I could see someone messing with it because of how cool it looks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
              I'm so happy you bought this it hurts.
              :D Me too. It's awesome. Fell in love with it the first time I revved it up.

Originally posted by Syncro325is View Post
              You should spray that hood roof and trunk with some black paint just to cover it up while it sits... I could see someone messing with it because of how cool it looks.
              I was kind of thinking the same thing honestly, but I can't deal with that right now. It'll just have to sit until I get around to it.

Comment

wasn't this posted the other day too? Best car purchase so far in 2010.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
                No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

YES!!! i'm so stoked to see someone bought the RASTACAR!!!
                    [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

do the "i" swap. it's cheap and fun :)

Comment

Keep the rasta colors and do the whole "Lion of Judah" thing on the hood that the PO wanted to do.

Comment

Do an 2.7 e/i hybrid. You know you want to do it
                          Originally posted by kendogg
                          Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                          OG RACECAR

Comment

Originally posted by M42Power View Post
                            Do an 2.7 e/i hybrid. You know you want to do it
                            I have plans for it but I'm going to enjoy the eta low-end and get the M50 car up to snuff before I start doing anything serious. Hopefully I can afford to keep it for that long.

And the plans are a little more involved than a 2.7i. ;)
                            Last edited by Wh33lhop; 02-25-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Alla need isa spliff to show me da whey to ZION.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                              X