24 Hours of Lemons Contender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 Hours of Lemons Contender

First I'd just like to say hello, and introduce myself. My name is Ryan. I am an avid autocrosser and hillclimber from near Harrisburg, PA (though not in an E30, yet). I have found a lot of information on your forums, and I'm sure I will turn here lots for help as my project progresses.

This past June I ran the 24 hours of Lemons at Summit Point with some friends. It was a blast, but the car was unreliable, and very much uninspiring.

This is the car.

It is odd that someone actually managed to get a picture of it because it spent so little time on the track (and even luckier that I was the one at the wheel, as I only did about 5 laps over the whole event, first 3 and last 2). It is a 95 Neon and was nothing but problems. We had brake problems, followed by electical problems (that basically caused us to miss all of the first day), then brake problems again, and finally head gasket problems that were probably related to the brake problems.

So after the torture of the weekend you might ask why would I do it again, and why am I posting on an E30 site. Well after telling the stories to family and friends, my Uncles decided that they wanted in and told me to keep an eye out for a "good" car. Shortly after I found a deal I couldn't pass up. On the Grassroots Motorsports forum I found a free 1990 325i Convertible.

The ad read
    Not mine, but I know the owner. He bought it for parts, took off what he wanted and is looking for someone to haul the rest away. Located in Towson MD
    Here is the email I got...
    1990 BMW 325 Convertible Salvage title Working Engine and auto transmission less peripherals Alloy wheels Riccaro style racing seats Good soft top
    Yours free for the towing.
    It was only an hour drive so I figured why not.

Here is what I found.

Luckily they had a sloped driveway so it only took a little push to get it on the trailer and I was away.

That's pretty much as far as things have gotten. We will soon start stripping it and selling parts to get some funds for the cage, and other safety equipment.

Also still trying to come up with a theme for the car. With so many E30s I figured our best shot to get in a race is a good theme and possibly some creativity in the powertrain department, and I might have a donor lined up for that as well. I will update this post as the project progresses.
    Last edited by camaroz1985; 11-22-2010, 08:45 AM.

cool project dude, keep us posted.
    8380 Laboratories
    M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Picked up a donor car last weekend. Will hopefully be stripping the pair this weekend. We have come up with a team name... Looks Good On Paper Racing. We should have a website and more updates shortly.

Comment

Didn't know you could use a vert for 24hrs of lemons.

Comment

Sure. You can use anything. The weirder the better.

Comment

Sweet, that sounds like fun. I would love to find a free E30

Bahama Beige E23 Project
            Bluebird Bus Conversion
            New Oregon Trail

Comment

Donor car is strippped, and will be going to the crusher on Wednesday. Will strip the E30 shortly.

Comment

nice, this should be a fun build.

Comment

Some more info on the donor car that's going to the crusher?

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                  2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Ok, it’s time for an update.

This is our parts car, a 1987 Mustang GT. We found it on ebay, and emailed the seller about a purchase instead of waiting for the auction to finish. On September 4th we picked it up, on September 10-11 we stripped it.

One of the team members “slipped” his foot off the clutch.

He was just testing to see if the LSD was still good. Yeah, that’s our story.

Our main interest is the drivetrain, but we took anything of value. The goal is to sell as much as possible from the car to make it count as little as possible toward our budget. It was kind of nice not caring about the shell. We just cut the radiator supports out and were able to pull the engine and transmission straight out the front.

They weren’t there for us honest, though Jim looks surprised.

We did some creative work with the engine hoist to get the chassis on the trailer. OSHA would not have approved.

We took the shell to the scrap yard. Its total time in our possession was about 10 days.

We have since made more than we paid for it by selling parts and counting the scrap value of the car. That means we have a “free” drivetrain swap (and we have the documentation to support that).
                    Last edited by camaroz1985; 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

This past Saturday (October 2) we stripped the 325. Basically anything that wasn’t part of the suspension, steering, or structure is gone.

Wiring, Gone!

Interior, Gone!

Engine…

Gone! (Much easier taking the Mustang engine out, when we didn’t car about the actual car.)

We then spent some time taking off lots of little things that were either clipped, bolted, or screwed on. The name of the game is light weight, and we will be removing as much as possible (Anyone know what the windshield, and frame would weigh on the convertible? ;) I’m guessing it’s pretty significant.)

Next we pressure washed the car to get the grime and grease off of it, or at least most of it.

And this is how it sits now.

Now we just have a huge pile of parts that needs to find new owners. (Hint, Hint…)

That’s all for now…
                      Last edited by camaroz1985; 11-22-2010, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I guess I should introduce the team. This is actually kind of a family project, with help from some close friends (they are nearly family at this point).

At the wheel, Chuck, a good friend of mine. In blue, myself, Ryan. Next to me with the broken collar bone, another friend, Dan. Sitting on the rear shelf are my cousin, Josh, and my Uncle, Jim. In red, my other Uncle, Tom.

Chuck, Tom, Jim, and myself are driving, Josh, and Dan (and possibly others) will be crew.
                        Last edited by camaroz1985; 11-22-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

LeMons judges sweat E30 guys really hard, be warned.
                          sigpic
                          -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

A Mustang engine in an e30 for a race!? You have my attention sir..

Comment

subscribed :D

Comment

Working...
                              X