1990 E34 525i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 E34 525i

So I finally saved up some money to spend on my little E30, when I stumbled upon an ad selling this 525i on Craigslist.
    It looked beautiful on the pictures, and even better in life, I just had to buy it.
    It was cheap, because the timing belt broke on the previous owner.
    So this is my new project, hopefully it will run in a few weeks, depending on what it needs!

What I know so far:

- Beautiful body and paint, not one ding or scratch!
    - A few interior pieces need to be replaced, but nothing major
    - 150,000 miles
    - All service records are in a thick folder from when it was new
    - Simple cloth interior, I love it!
    - MANUAL 5 speed, I thought I'd never find an E34 that looks good and has a manual in it!
    - Oil pan is a bit wet - problem will most likely be solved by a new gasket
    - Broken timing belt ==> New valves for sure, or should I say new cylinder head. I want to inspect the cylinder walls, pistons, rods, and the crankshaft as well, as they might have some minor cracks from the impact.
    - Oh and of course it has the M20B25 in it, so if I mess up something on this one, I won't make the same mistake on my E30:)
    - Left side plastic trim on the front bumper is cracked, needs to be replaced

I've never taken apart an engine that was not on a stand before, so this shall be pretty interesting.
    I hope I'll only have good news after I remove the head, so fingers crossed!

Onto pictures:

The engine as they left it:

Engine parts in the trunk:

I can't wait to start it up for the first time:)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
    2011 Jeep Wrangler

Oh and why is this a project?
    I have two reasons:

1) I've never done work on an engine before that's more involved than changing the timing belt.
    2) I want to see if I can make profit, when selling in the end, or not. I'm really optimistic, we shall see how it goes.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
    2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

thats beautiful. if only it had an m50 in it id be interested when finished. if it had an m50 in it you wouldnt of gotten it for cheap though.
      Originally posted by Lof8
      4 doors allow you to transport more whores.
      therefore, their value is much greater.
      Down to: 89 aw2 332i/4/5 , 70 Sahara 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Unearth078 View Post
        thats beautiful. if only it had an m50 in it id be interested when finished. if it had an m50 in it you wouldnt of gotten it for cheap though.
        I know. M50 would be awesome, but I think this is a good start. I had little money, I try to do as much as I can with it. I'll post a detailed cost/profit list after I sell it, hopefully the revenue will exceed the costs:)

But if I buy a 5er for myself later, it will be a 535 at least. It has to be manual as well (which I don't even know if exists here in the states), and I'd love to have a touring. I love touring e34s.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
        2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Dude, cloth e34?! nice!

Yank the m20 out, put s50/s52 in :)

E36 M3 S50 Engine/Tranny/ECU/Harness - $1200 (san jose west)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Date: 2010-09-08, 4:38PM PDT
          Reply to: sale-entys-1943800395@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have an S50 engine from a 95 M3

Has approx 140k miles

Still installed in my car, you must remove

Includes tranny, ECU, harness, and all accessories minus the alternator

Price is FIRM and I will not split anything up

Call ( 4 0 8 ) 666-0111, thanks
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            Dude, cloth e34?! nice!

Yank the m20 out, put s50/s52 in :)
            I was thinking about it, but there are some constraints here:
            1) I'm on a really tight budget right now
            2) I don't have the tools for that. I can only lift part out of the bay that I can lift with my two hands:)
            3) Currently I live in an apartment where non-op cars aren't allowed. The manager gave me a break and told me that I can park here for at most one week. So I need to be done as fast as I can

Just wait about a year guys, I'll get my own place after I get my diploma, hopefully with a garage, I can't wait to start on more serious projects:)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
            2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Dude, cloth e34?! nice!

E36 M3 S50 Engine/Tranny/ECU/Harness - $1200 (san jose west)
              Sounds tempting! Ahh don't do this to me, I have to keep this project quick and cheap:/

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
              2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Sell me the e34 and i'll do the rest? ;)

I would love to find a MINT e34 manual for under $1000! Perfect to drop something with more power and have a nice DD with power ! Argh.

FUCK YOUR WAFFLES

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Sell me the e34 and i'll do the rest? ;)
                  How 'bout a joint venture?;)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                  2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

haha

Comment

haha
                      I supply the car, you the engine/tools/garage, and we split the profit?:) How does that sound? It sounds like a good deal to me:)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                      2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Do the swap for YOURSELF dude, not to sell :) It just wouldn't feel right to put the effort in to do it for profit imho. You got a nice clean example on your hands, keep it!

Comment

Do the swap for YOURSELF dude, not to sell :) It just wouldn't feel right to put the effort in to do it for profit imho. You got a nice clean example on your hands, keep it!
                          That's another thing I'd love to do. But I can't afford to have two cars, I need to sell one of them to be able to fund stuff for the other. And my E30 is just so amazing, with all it's little problems, I know I wouldn't get as much for it as it is worth to me. The E34 is the exact opposite, that's why I'd rather sell that one. But I don't know. I want both:)

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                          2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

One more detail:
                            When the belt broke, the PO took the car to a repair shop. They replaced the belt (so there is a new one on there), and then they proceeded to TRY TO START THE ENGINE.
                            Then since it wasn't working, they carried out a compression test, with a conclusion that "the car might need a valve job".

LULZ:)

And since this guy has the new Torx type bolts, I need to go shopping...
                            Last edited by Conki; 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM.

1992 BMW 525iT Calypso
                            2011 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Harbor freight is your friend for E-Torx sockets.

Clean e34, my friend has got a 89 535i with a 5 speed, its awesome.
                              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                              X