Resurrection of my coupe

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • N2MYE30
    replied
    Originally posted by bubbajan21
    I just read through the entire thread. Very nice work in everything you've done to this car!
    Thanks. I'm just waiting to get a few more parts...tranny brace, e36 throttle cable, and then maintenance parts. Time is gonna be the hardest thing to find. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • bubbajan21
    replied
    I just read through the entire thread. Very nice work in everything you've done to this car!

    Leave a comment:


  • N2MYE30
    replied
    Wax would just protect the surface it was applied to. In my case my surface was coarse. The 1k,1.5k, and the 2k wetsanding makes the surface smooth. I did all the wetsanding by hand cause I didn't have a da sander nor find a place that had circular sanding disks around me without buying in bulk. The malco products took out the swirls and fine scratches. I also did some research on YouTube to get an idea of how to do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    So let me get this straight.

    You would wetsand with 1500.

    Then with 2000

    Then used a foam cutting pad to buff with Malco compound

    Then a polish pad to finish up again with a Malco product. Couldn't you use wax instead?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30rapidic
    replied
    ok, better not leave this one unattended in my garage....or i'm taking it and putting it on mine. lol

    Leave a comment:


  • N2MYE30
    replied
    Minor to say the least but its still an update.

    I took the valve cover off to see if I can make it look better. We have all seen this. I took some paint stripper that I had laying around and went too work.


    ...and work it was but my main goal was to make a soda blaster (media blasting). This little rig cost me $1.50 (minus the gun) and $.99 for soda so I fired up my compressor to see what results I can obtain out of my cover.


    About a box worth and this was the result. It did take the muck off.

    Then wanted to clean the bolts/washers before putting it all back together so I shot 1 to see what it would do...

    1st bolt soda blasted
    2nd degreaser
    3rd nothing

    Im going to set up some sort or rig to clean these all up.

    The cover still looked bad so I used more powa! A minute or 2 with the orbital sander and bam, alls good. Ill sand with a finer paper and paint it black. The cover should look nice after am done with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • N2MYE30
    replied
    Haha! I was actually thinking of keeping the M20 around and rebuilding it for the cabrio...thinking about it anyway. Ive got 2 e30 mouths to feed! :shock:

    When I met Andre, he was parting out his cabrio...now look at it! Be prepared to be negatively influenced by us Raleigh Boys! :D

    Leave a comment:


  • BoxDriver86
    replied
    Originally posted by e30rapidic
    work it out with Dan and you can have it the second we pull it out. I'll give you directions to my house and 4 hours notice...lol You can take it right off my hoist!!
    And put it in my car?;)

    I started gathering parts for my own M50 swap. Last week. Can't let you Raleigh boys have all the fun, ya know?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30rapidic
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxDriver86
    I'm sorry, what? Looking forward to see where this is going! Dibs on the old motor?
    work it out with Dan and you can have it the second we pull it out. I'll give you directions to my house and 4 hours notice...lol You can take it right off my hoist!!

    Leave a comment:


  • BoxDriver86
    replied
    I'm sorry, what? Looking forward to see where this is going! Dibs on the old motor?

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    /awesome motor! Perfect for a DD

    Leave a comment:


  • Luis325
    replied
    Wow Nice! didnt know you where swaping it!

    Leave a comment:


  • dreamchasin
    replied
    NV M50, exactly what I have in my e30, awesome work you have done, quite jealous as I don't have the patience like that.

    Leave a comment:


  • N2MYE30
    replied
    Originally posted by downforce22
    Wow the progress on the paint is amazing and inspiring! I really like the wheels on there and your car really reminds me of mine haha.

    but you're swapping out the m20 now? seems like a lot of work
    Yeah, its gonna be a bit of work but im gonna have everything ready before im dropping it in. My M20 runs great but I think I got a good deal on the engine so im going for it.

    Leave a comment:


  • downforce22
    replied
    Wow the progress on the paint is amazing and inspiring! I really like the wheels on there and your car really reminds me of mine haha.

    but you're swapping out the m20 now? seems like a lot of work

    Leave a comment:

Working...