Project Daily 318iS now with 24v

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Hey turf, still got that schwartz? Thanks for the info I might go grab the head


    The trick worked and I found a very thin surface crack. I might go to the yard and yank the head. What's the address?

    Just so you all know,
    1. grab a cheap can of A/C UV dye from auto zone...
    2. Clean the head vigorously and heat slightly with a lamp or drier, then spray the surface with the die and let soak for a few min.
    3. with a spray bottle mist the surface clean of the dye
    4. go somewhere dark with the head and turn on a black light.

    Not the best method but it works if you're in a pinch.
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 01-06-2011, 10:02 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Originally posted by av8drvr
    RE: That 318iS at the yard. What color and how did the bumpers look? I need a front bumper (plastic skin only, no trim shocks, etc.).
    It was red. IIRC the front bumper was ok.

    Leave a comment:


  • av8drvr
    replied
    RE: That 318iS at the yard. What color and how did the bumpers look? I need a front bumper (plastic skin only, no trim shocks, etc.).

    Leave a comment:


  • Turf1600
    replied
    Hey man - there's a 318is at the pick n pull up by the dump/fry's on 45. I already snagged the front seats but the motor was untouched when I was there.

    EDIT: it had a mint dash, too.

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    yes I do know. That is why I let the head soak in UV die, like the kind you use in your A/C to check for leaks. then gently wash the head and check with a black light.
    never knew that trick...

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    yes I do know. That is why I let the head soak in UV die, like the kind you use in your A/C to check for leaks. then gently wash the head and check with a black light.

    Leave a comment:


  • mikeedler
    replied
    you do realize that most of the time, if the head is cracked, you won't see it with your bare eyes. a better way to determine the headgasket/head crack is to look at the gasket, and see if you can see where that failed. If you don't see anything there, i woud suggest taking it to a shop and having it tested there.

    not to bad looking of a car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    A lil trick I learned to hold the cam gears to the chain. Really helps putting things back together





    Now I wait till parts come in. Once I get everything back together I will post up pics and results. Hopefully this helps someone out there!
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 01-06-2011, 07:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Thanks man! I got the head off! NO CRACKS!!!! best birthday gift ever!

    Leave a comment:


  • matias88e30
    replied
    i would keep the m42 for the dd duties.. whatever it needs to get her done! first e30 i bought was a 91 318is with more than 239k.. never gave me any engine problems, tuned her up and was ready to go after beeing seated for more than a year nd half... good luck

    and happy b day!

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    1-5-2011
    It's my birthday and this head is almost off.

    I'm gonna disregard everything about cam locks and other bs like that. I'm sure I know how to time an engine. This being only a 4 cylinder without VVT this should be cake. Wish me luck
    pics soon to follow.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Findings
    This looks more like a malty milkshake



    Is something missing here?


    Cam gears... Look okay?


    After wash wash wash! (cell pix)

    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Thanks for the help!

    Leave a comment:


  • eur04lif3
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    1-4-2011 -Found the milkshake under the valve cover, spark #3 covered in oil.
    this might help...

    Leave a comment:


  • Cabriolet
    replied
    looks like you have alot of work ahead of you, good luck.

    Leave a comment:

Working...