Project Daily 318iS now with 24v

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Sold the car and the swap.

    My recomendations to you would be, DON'T DO IT!
    M50's are a waste of time and aren't shit compared to an m20. If you wan't an updated engine then go for it but m20/42's can be rebuilt and last just as long.

    if you're looking for speed, step up to the 3.2 S52 anything less is a waste of time and money considering now days you can get an S50/52 for the same amount of an M52.

    Leave a comment:


  • kenavery7
    replied
    Updates?

    I have an M42, and considering an M50 swap.

    What are your first impressions?

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Originally posted by glucklich21
    Glad to see my M50 is being put to use. :)
    As am I.:nice:

    This guy has been a tremendous helps with getting everything sorted out! Thanks guy!

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Glad to see my M50 is being put to use. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Do work daughter! (cellular pics... beware.)

    So now I'm a member of the 24v crew. Although it's just a m50nv, i'm 24valved and it feels good, Got it running today. Haven't put in the cut/modified shifter so I can't drive it yet but I'm excited to feel the difference from the m20 I've owned in the past.

    M50B25NV
    G240
    4:10 <--- looking for a 3:46-3:73
    iX booster
    95 M3 master
    535 E28 mounts
    e36 5-speed drive shaft
    M42 radiator
    PS deleted

    on to picks.... sry about the cell pics, humidity fogs up my lens pretty good.

    My stable


    My engine collection. Sold the 302, decided it was way too heavy for what the e30 was made for. I wan't an ultimate driving machine but not just in a straight line.


    So I pull out the m42


    ...and get the bay all cleaned and ready



    Crank up the tunes and get ready for back ache.


    Snatched up the M50 and bolted on the trans, shaft, and etc.


    What a tight fit.



    That's it for now. I need real picture taking power so awaiting a digital cam.

    The swap wasn't all that bad but damn sure requires patience.

    Thank's for looking. More to come.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Well, now I'm trying to figure out if I wanna pull the plug on this M50nv. I know it's alot of work but at the same time, I could pull out the m42 and fully rebuild it for the same price and if not cheaper vs finding an oil pan, intake, throttle, motor mounts, and wiring harness. Not sure what to do. Especially since I just got the M42 running. Still need to do the water pump though.

    I have some pics to post.
    done list:
    ellips
    tails
    dash swap
    all black carpet
    sound deadening (slightly)
    and some rust prevention

    to do:
    brakes
    wheel bearing
    tires
    water pump
    steering rack
    stereo
    remove gawful purple tint
    repair/replace front valence
    repair driver fender
    paint
    damn...
    lot's to do. Pics soon.
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Originally posted by trackjunkie21
    If you're going to swap in another m42, try and find an m44 block. The added displacement, with the use of your original wiring harness, you'll gain a small amount of power and torque.
    I figured but for the price I might as well go 6.
    Last edited by Vtec?lol; 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    There's some e36 M42's. One of them has perfect cam gears.

    Update on my ride, I'm actually just waiting on a member for a replacement M42. thats if I don't bug em to death. lol

    My M42 is too leaky and plus I'd rather have a good running one to start with. That way i'd know what the M42 is supposed to feel like vs. starting with one that hasn't run till now.

    In the mean time I'm still chiseling the old water pump out. Lots of jb weld to rough out. Gonna get it with the wire wheel.

    I also picked up some goodies from another member. Ellips, dash, tails, and some other stuff. Will post pics when I have nothing better to do with my time.
    If you're going to swap in another m42, try and find an m44 block. The added displacement, with the use of your original wiring harness, you'll gain a small amount of power and torque.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    There's some e36 M42's. One of them has perfect cam gears.

    Update on my ride, I'm actually just waiting on a member for a replacement M42. thats if I don't bug em to death. lol

    My M42 is too leaky and plus I'd rather have a good running one to start with. That way i'd know what the M42 is supposed to feel like vs. starting with one that hasn't run till now.

    In the mean time I'm still chiseling the old water pump out. Lots of jb weld to rough out. Gonna get it with the wire wheel.

    I also picked up some goodies from another member. Ellips, dash, tails, and some other stuff. Will post pics when I have nothing better to do with my time.

    Leave a comment:


  • glucklich21
    replied
    Anything in the pickapull? Thinking of making a day trip

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Good info. I'll hold off on the turbo then. I have a set amount of savings to sepnd on the car and I don't wanna waste too much now. I'll wait till I can get another savings plan going for it.

    Next is body and paint. I plan on doing it myself but it still wont be cheap. I have a booth and sprayers ready just gotta find a good base and clear. Not sure what company to use but right now I'm leaning towards automotivetouchup.com. they have all the colors BMW has to offer. This may work.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    oooo, I see! But wouldn't that still result in a no-name brand turbo?

    Couldn't I do the same for this one? which would be cheaper?


    ***edit, nvm. Just looked up cost for myself and airesearch is waaaay too expensive to rebuild.
    Yeah but this is an old turbo, not as efficient as a brand new one. Ebay turbos can last, as long as you don't push maximum amount of boost out of them. People on m42club have run a couple ebay turbos with no problems.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Originally posted by trackjunkie21
    A common thing to do is buy an ebay turbo and buy a rebuild kit for that turbo from one of the many known turbo manufacturers. Then you have a decent turbo for a lot less money.
    oooo, I see! But wouldn't that still result in a no-name brand turbo?

    Couldn't I do the same for this one? which would be cheaper?


    ***edit, nvm. Just looked up cost for myself and airesearch is waaaay too expensive to rebuild.

    Leave a comment:


  • trackjunkie21
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec?lol
    I figured. Besides, ebay parts to rebuild this one will be little to nothing and theis turbo has no pitting or damage that the human eye can detect while it's still mounted. Exhaust side may be a different story.

    This is pushing me to go get it. I priced it and they want $180 but I think that's a little steep for an 80's turbo that doesn't spin the least bit freely.
    A common thing to do is buy an ebay turbo and buy a rebuild kit for that turbo from one of the many known turbo manufacturers. Then you have a decent turbo for a lot less money.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vtec?lol
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny
    Junkyard turbos work fine.
    I figured. Besides, ebay parts to rebuild this one will be little to nothing and theis turbo has no pitting or damage that the human eye can detect while it's still mounted. Exhaust side may be a different story.

    This is pushing me to go get it. I priced it and they want $180 but I think that's a little steep for an 80's turbo that doesn't spin the least bit freely.

    Leave a comment:

Working...