Well good input. Really you guys just slowed me from going and getting it. I may think a lil harder on it.
@gluck, yea thats the one. I never knew Saabs had their entire engine and transmission mounted BACKWARD. That was pretty cool.
Also, met up with another member last night and scored some really great parts. Really good guy and gave me a helluva awesome deal. Fresh dash, tails, ellips, grilles, and all for under $200. Yea, pretty big score in my book!
Project Daily 318iS now with 24v
Collapse
X
-
That thing has been gone since the 15th.
So you were the one that tore apart that Saab! It was so complete till I came back the next weekend. :(Hey did some research today. Went out to a few yards and found some goodies but no BMW goodies.
first, a saab turbo. Shaft is pretty stiff. Spins but not freely, and the more you spin it the more free it turns. $180 with down pipe and manifold. Might snatch the cooler and oil lines as well. What do you guys think?
and the car it came from
and a few other pics.
Interior was nice minus the seats.


There's also a red 924 there as well someone can use for the booster. I already took the master off for ya. I stumbled upon a 735i and got the booster out of it instead. :)
And if you need a M42, you can have mine. I'll be ripping it out soon for my M50.Leave a comment:
-
Well it sounds like the turbo needs a rebuild anyway so id still keep it in mind. But first id focus on making sure the car is in proper shape before you do the turbo build. And in the mean time you can your researchLeave a comment:
-
The only thing that 240 is really god for is your m42. That said, I'm looking for a complete m42 swap with the harness, tranny, DS and cooling system. You can keep the 240 for a twin cam swap but it's not recommended.Leave a comment:
-
If you want to go turbo, we aren't stopping you. I've been told numerous times that a junkyard turbo isn't an efficient option, sure you can make it work good like danny did. You're better off saving a few pennies and getting a newer more efficient turbo with less wear. Also make sure your maintenance and all that is up to date, you don't want to grenade anything.Hmmm, truth. Guess I was idolizing danny's $500 turbo setup a lil too much. I may just get it to have it and rebuild it while I rebuild the car.
So since you guys help me get my head back on straight ( I tend to be a floater here and there when idle) I'll source some interior parts. Mainly dash and vinyl for the front seats.Leave a comment:
-
Hmmm, truth. Guess I was idolizing danny's $500 turbo setup a lil too much. I may just get it to have it and rebuild it while I rebuild the car.
So since you guys help me get my head back on straight ( I tend to be a floater here and there when idle) I'll source some interior parts. Mainly dash and vinyl for the front seats.Leave a comment:
-
This right here, you gotta to pay to play this game.Modifying E30s: A Starters Guide for Fun
Priorities – namely sorting out maintenance, then suspension, then things like cosmetics and forced induction.
Junk yard turbos are fun to fantasize about and all – but dude, you’re asking for trouble and flaming by going down that road here. Boogering on forced induction parts from a yard typically result in wasted failure and cost. If you don’t have the money to do FI right – then put your money on some wheels or a cool stereo or something.
That’s my 2 cents.Leave a comment:
-
Modifying E30s: A Starters Guide for FunOriginally posted by Vtec?lollet me know what you think..
Priorities – namely sorting out maintenance, then suspension, then things like cosmetics and forced induction.
Junk yard turbos are fun to fantasize about and all – but dude, you’re asking for trouble and flaming by going down that road here. Boogering on forced induction parts from a yard typically result in wasted failure and cost. If you don’t have the money to do FI right – then put your money on some wheels or a cool stereo or something.
That’s my 2 cents.Leave a comment:
-
Hey did some research today. Went out to a few yards and found some goodies but no BMW goodies.
first, a saab turbo. Shaft is pretty stiff. Spins but not freely, and the more you spin it the more free it turns. $180 with down pipe and manifold. Might snatch the cooler and oil lines as well. What do you guys think?
and the car it came from
and a few other pics.
T3 Turbo 0.42 Trim by airesearch. Would this be a good starter and size for my M42? I know some honda kids run them, not sure about the results
also, for swap guys. I've stumbled across a nice idea for folks that want a cheap hydro-boost brake setup. Being able to notch the holes for the OE brake booster mount, you can slide the whole setup closer to the fender and then fab up some lines for this...
It's the hydro booster from a mustang gt with the modular 4.6. I found plenty of them so I know they're abundant and cheap. I'll probably experiment with one when I get a good E30 chassis to make a swap car.
anywho, The turbo might be a good setup for me to learn with so let me know what you think. ThanksLeave a comment:
-
I might go ahead and do that. The heat method seems to be barely working. only problem is I'm not sure how deep the JB weld is. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll post results tomorrow.Leave a comment:
-
If it were me, I'd just remove the water pump. Piece by piece. You should be able to chisel the pump or hit it with an air hammer to break up the water pump housing. The block is iron so the pump will break up before the block will. Once you've got all the pump parts out you should be able to chisel the jbweld off the block in short order.Leave a comment:
-
yea, I removed the timing covers but I don't think its bolted to the case. I'll check tomorrow and see. If it comes down to it I'll rip it all out.
Thanks ButtLeave a comment:
-
Leave a comment:
-
man that sucks.
wtf was that fucker thinking ?
Is is possible to remove the front timing case with the water pump 'in it' yet?
Dremmel the JB out?
fuck.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: