Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The White Guy View Post
    Nice work Monty.
    My 318is is a work in progress also. Do you have the BMW part number for the storage tray? That would be nice for mine also.
    Thanks,
    Stan
    It's NLA. It came with my car. The BMW PN on it is not longer on the ETK either. Only source is used. The PN for your reference:72601929409
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
      It's NLA. It came with my car. The BMW PN on it is not longer on the ETK either. Only source is used. The PN for your reference:72601929409
      Monty, thanks.. thats what I was afraid of.
      I can come up with something else that might involve netting and a roughneck product.
      Nice project by the way. Love the M3 interior.
      Stan

Comment

So I decided to change something in the trunk to clean it up and match everything in black. The rear tail light panel that hold all the bulbs is a ugly gray that doesn't match anything in the trunk. Also with over 20 years of use, it is all scuffed and scratched. I decided to give it the SEM treatment to clean it up. Here is the driver side:

Old installed:

Comparising old vs. new:

New one installed (direct flash lightens the battery cover and storage tray, all match in person):

Comment

My car jack and tire choke had some rust on it. Mostly at the bottom of the car jack and since the tire jack is under it in the trunk, the rust surface rust started to build up on it. Who knows in the past before I owned it, water would get into this area at the bottom and the car jack would just sit in a little puddle of water. No leaks since I have owned it but the damage was already done. I decided to give it the POR-15 treatment which I have already used it. Here are a few pics of the before.

Then after the treatment. I used the gloss black paint as I was not going to paint the whole car jack so I wanted to match as much as possible. This should now keep it protected for a very long long time. I highly recommend POR-15.

Comment

Alex!! It's been a while, old friend. I wish I had the drive & dedication that you do for the E30. Mine mostly sits these days; but I've been itchin' to get my hands dirty again. We need to hang!
            1990 BMW 325is 5spd - Brilliantrot
            M52 - Scorpion exhaust - GAZ Coilovers

Comment

yes it has. Glad you still have it let. Let me know when you want to meet up.

Comment

I decided to smoke my rear tail lights.I would love the MHWs, but too expensive right now for me. I got a pair of OEM ones in much better condition on one of the forums. I then cleaned them and took a picture of them.

I then did some research on bet way to do this. I bought some wet sand paper, in different fine grades, 1000 through 2000, and did some wet sanding. I used VHT nightshades paint and bought clear. I wanted to give it a light smoke. I ending up giving the lights two light coats. Since I masked the surrounding areas with blue tape, I decided to do the same with the reverse light. In the end, the reverse light got one coat and the rest 2 coats. I applied the clear which in my opinion was not the best application of it. Either temp/humidity was not right or it needed more coats or a thicker coat. A little more wet sand and then finished with some polish. The pictures are not the best as it was 1pm outside when I took the picture, so it was very sunny with the sun right above and I cast a little shadow in the middle towards the bottom but also makes it look extra glossy. Much better in person.

I need to take a picture of it on the car during the day. I will do it when I get home from work and will post it. Here they are on the car at night with the reverse lights on. Smoked on the left. Not a difference in the light output from what I saw. The only difference is the turn signal, but it is minor.

Last edited by monty23psk; 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Here is the promised picture of the car during the day. The light shows just fine with the tint. It is already a little hazy due to dirt on the car. Yes yes yes, car needs a polish...lol.

Comment

Moved on to my next project. My car for the last year has only had the driver side wiper working. The passenger stud for the arm was stripped but with the nut held tight it still worked, I removed it to fix the missing grommet. Since then, I've been lucky it has been working on the driver side. I got an OEM new linkage for $75 on eBay. They normally go for $150+ new from BMW, my cost. I know I got a steal. I will post a pic once I install it and the process. Before I do, I wanted to refresh the windshield washer system.

I have the older tank with out the sensor, which is stock on the m42 318is. They are NLA and I don't want to buy the new one and plug it, at least not yet. I decided to clean it with chlorine and hot water from reading many DYIs online. In the end, it is cleaner, but still with light yellow tint. Nothing will beat new plastic.

Before:

After:

I then recieved a few goodies from BMW. I already had the new cap, with is nice a black and like the newer cars. I decided on the BMW pump as the aftermarket ones do not last as long. My old one was aftermarket and the casing on top, cracked plug the venting holes were also leaking and rusted. Basically it leaked anytime it was activated. I never got water up to the check valve or very little before it would hit the nozzles. Included was also a new grommet for the pump, cheap and for piece of mind. Lastly a new strainer. I also got OEM washer hose. Guess what, it is thing 4.6mm and black. Nothing like the clear etched white tubing. I still need to get a more hose for the check valve/nozzle area.

Pics of new parts:

new BMW pump and old aftermarket pump(blue):

new white strainer:

All together:

If weather permits, I will change out the check valve as it was leaking all the water once I activated the pump. Glad I ordered one ahead of time.

Comment

make tails darker like this
                      "I wanna see da boat movie"
                      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Not a fan of that dark, seen too much on american muscle cars. It does look good on a black car, like that one, but will not go so well with red, IMHO. I prefer MHWs but too pricey and hard to find at the moment

Comment

Absolutely awesome resto man! couldnt agree more with an earlier post... sometimes there is too much BS on here... this however is NOT one of those. but man paint the thing already hahah! my 325is is also red and was faded as hell when i got it. spent about 5 hours with a rubbing compound and its starting to look a million times better but i stopped cuz im going to paint it a different color any way. but i digress. just a sweet as build man.
                          10 minutes... then we invade China.
                          We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
                          And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

I finally got to install the 4-pintle Bosch 556 injectors. They came re-conditioned as I didnt want to take any chances on used ones. I also cleaned the lower intake manifold, from fly-by oil. I guess maybe I need a oil catch can as other have installed. I also replaced the upper/lower gaskets, which I got from BMW, as they were the same price for me as aftermarket ones, while I ordered some BMW dealer only items for another project. Very nice quality on the gasket but unless you get them same price, the aftermarket ones are fine. Lastly replaced two small fuel hoses under manifolds as a precaution. I did have my current stock injector cleaned at a Bosch authorized center about 6 years ago. I need to clear the ECU next to make sure it re-maps everything after the new changes. I will then run a couple of tanks and see how the my MPG is reacting and more importantly how my idle is doing. Still looking at my running rich issue. After this it could be fuel pump replacement, o2 swap or examine timing again. Besides idle, the car runs great and only on idle without AC does it seem to go into the rich loop. I did find two of the lower intake manifold nuts on, finger tight. Maybe this was causing the vacuum leak/running rich issue. More to come in the next 2 weeks. On to the pictures:

New parts all from BMW:

All intakes removed, at least the new head from almost 3 years ago is still shiny from the engine maintaining I do. Also noticed one of the newly installed valve cover bolt orings is missing. Can't believe I missed it. Will have to find the missing one or order a new one on next order.

New lower gasket installed:

How all injectors looked even though inside the cap where it shoots our the fuel it was clean:

Not best view of inside lower manifold. Cleaned with toothbrush and simple green:

New injectors installed, using old retaining clips on both sides of injector:

Lower manifold and upper manifold gasket installed:

Comment

Still on the windshield wiper system....My linkage is old and worn when it comes to the splines where the wiper arms connect to the linkage. Actually the passenger side does not turn unless I over-tighten the nut but after some time, it goes back to not working. At least my driver side works and gets through me if it is raining for the last year. I did get a new OEM linkage which I got lucky with purchase on ebay. New I can get them for ~$150. I got this one for $75 online. Used ones go for around $50.

I have had it a while but since on this project, I decided to swap it out. Not a fun job since the AC box is in the way. I eventually go it out as there is one real way to get it in and out and just takes a lot of wiggling the linkage unit to get it right.

I did replace the fresh air blower about 3 years ago with a new one but never cleaned the area. Here is 20+ years of grime in the area:

I then got the old linkage out with was rusting away in the middle. Here it is on the bottom with the motor still attached and the new one above it.

Here is the new linkage with the motor installed and the motor cover cleaned back together:

I have the new linkage installed. About to finish with AC box install. I just need a few parts for the linkage/wiper arm area. I need driver side grommet with I bought less than a year ago for the passenger side. Since it is rubber, it waste away and I would get wobbly arms since the linkage arm was not fix going through the body of the car where the arms connect. I will post more pics of the final install once I receive the parts next week. Thanks Blunt...

Comment

Awesome work man! Really can't
                                want to see the whole interior complete!

Comment

Working...
                                X